Psyche

CanOfCorn

This is just a question I pose to all you smart Soxtalkers...

With the White Sox matching the winning ways of the Tigers the last couple of weeks, who's psyche is taking more of a hit:

The White Sox, who despite winning, haven't made up any ground.

The Tigers, who are playing great baseball, but can't separate themselves from the White Sox.

I think in the long run, it's got to be the Tigers, because the Sox have been here before and we have the Ozzie factor. But, they have Leyland and he's one hell of a manager.

What do you think?

I think the Tigers are playing their asses off expecting to be several games ahead, especially when we have just played the 1st place ALW team and the 2nd place NLC team. When they see that we are still staying right behind them, they will start to press.

I don't think either team gives a flying f*** about the other at this point. Both teams are on pace to win over 100 games, and if that happens, nobody is going to catch either of them. Both teams have clearly been, by both wins and run differential, the best teams in the AL so far. With over 70 games over, neither team is likely to miss the playoffs.

The Hard Ball Times has an excellent article up on the Yankees and Red Sox (and the AL East in general) that predicts the wild card will likely come from the AL Central.

I don't see any reason why not.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
I don't think either team gives a flying f*** about the other at this point. Both teams are on pace to win over 100 games, and if that happens, nobody is going to catch either of them. Both teams have clearly been, by both wins and run differential, the best teams in the AL so far. With over 70 games over, neither team is likely to miss the playoffs.

The Hard Ball Times has an excellent article up on the Yankees and Red Sox (and the AL East in general) that predicts the wild card will likely come from the AL Central.

I don't see any reason why not.

Agreed on all counts. If both teams continue to play well (which they very well may), the Wild Card will come from the Central and they 2 will battle for home field in the AL playoffs. I'm sure both teams are just happy to be winning this much right now.

While the Tigers can't gain ground on the Sox by winning, perhaps more important in the Tigers' heads is that 1-5 record against the Sox, which is the reason why they want to gain ground now, because if they can't beat us head to head, they can't beat us.

Since the last Sox - Tigers series the teams have both went 8-2, but the Sox have played the tougher schedule:

Sox

2-1 vs CLE (31-37)

3-1 at TEX (38-32)

3-0 at CIN (37-32)

Tigers

2-1 at TOR (37-32)

3-1 vs TB (29-41)

3-0 at CHC (26-42)

That has to be somewhat demoralizing for the Tigers since you would expect to gain a game or two from those last 10 games, but you gain zero.

The team that's taking the biggest hit is ... the indians.

They were supposed to win the damn thing, according to many experts.

At last glance, they are closer to KC than Detroit in the standings.

The Twinkies just zoomed past them this weekend.

Injun players gotta be wondering what the hell is going on.

As for the Tigers, I gotta figure their pitching will backslide at some point.

The Gambler usually softens in the second half. Can't believe verlander can withstand the load and Maroth has already gone down.

But ... I'm getting tired of waiting for them to crack.

Gotta be the tigers, they're the ones that have the pressure on them. They're the ones that have to prove themselves to the league, and even when they're playing their best ball, they can't shake us.

Gotta get frustrating.

I would not count on them declining any time soon, if at all. These guys have been perpetual also-rans in the Central (sound familiar?) and now that they're having a breakout year, they're not about to give it up. I doubt they feel any "pressure" yet. Sure they probably wanted to pull away but this is the Central--the Sox aren't going away and neither are the Indians. Yeah, they're pretty far back but I certainly would NOT count them out. Look what they did last year.

Things can change in a blink. Look at Oakland; they were sucking when we played them and now they're on a 10-game winning streak!

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)
I would not count on them declining any time soon, if at all. These guys have been perpetual also-rans in the Central (sound familiar?) and now that they're having a breakout year, they're not about to give it up. I doubt they feel any "pressure" yet. Sure they probably wanted to pull away but this is the Central--the Sox aren't going away and neither are the Indians. Yeah, they're pretty far back but I certainly would NOT count them out. Look what they did last year.

Things can change in a blink. Look at Oakland; they were sucking when we played them and now they're on a 10-game winning streak!

In regards to the 2nd thing.....yeah things can change, the Twins have won 7 in a row....and gained ONE game on the Tigers and Sox as a result. That's the point, the Twins and Indians could get hot, but with as well as the Tigers and Sox are playing, it won't matter since it's too late and they fell too far behind.

As for the Tigers.....they could continue to play well all year, but I don't know if they can play THIS well all year, whereas I think we can and win around the 99 number we finished with last year. Now is Detroit going to win 100 games? I doubt it.

QUOTE(SnB @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)
Gotta be the tigers, they're the ones that have the pressure on them. They're the ones that have to prove themselves to the league, and even when they're playing their best ball, they can't shake us.

Gotta get frustrating.

I gotta say, nobody expected the Tigers to contend in this division; what do they have to lose? On the other hand, the Chisox are the defending champs, and were said to have only improved in the offseason. The pressure is on us; we're the team everyone says will be contending in October. The Tigers may feel the Sox pressure, but not so much from anyone else (media, etc.). If anyone should be pressured, it's us, but it's really early, and I doubt that either team feels much pressure at this point.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 11:08 AM)
The team that's taking the biggest hit is ... the indians.

They were supposed to win the damn thing, according to many experts.

At last glance, they are closer to KC than Detroit in the standings.

The Twinkies just zoomed past them this weekend.

Injun players gotta be wondering what the hell is going on.

As for the Tigers, I gotta figure their pitching will backslide at some point.

The Gambler usually softens in the second half. Can't believe verlander can withstand the load and Maroth has already gone down.

But ... I'm getting tired of waiting for them to crack.

However, the indians will get healthy this week. They are playing the Cubs.

This is exactly the kind of debate I was hoping for. I can see both sides.

The Sox might feel the pressure BECAUSE they were supposed to have gotten better this year and yet, they are in 2nd place...BUT, they have Ozzie and haven't clicked on all cylinders yet, with the struggles of Uribe, Podsednik, BA, Garland and the inconsistency of the bullpen. This looks to be changing, though.

The Tigers might feel the pressure BECAUSE they are playing out their asses and haven't gained anything on the White Sox, nor have they played very well against the White Sox, Red Sox or Yankees. BUT, they have Leyland, good experience in the dugout with I-Rod, Maggs and Inge as the, "s***, guys, let me remind you the way it USED to be around here," guy.

Both teams have something to prove, because the AL Central ALWAYS has something to prove, so edge to the White Sox since they've already proved it and know what it takes. Detroit can play loose, because, what the hell, they've sucked for so long, even the wild card would look great.

And yes, I understand it's only June, but teams have already started to trade for needs and the All-Star break is just around the corner, so, yeah, I think it's time the teams start to think about one another...

QUOTE(atrain081 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
I gotta say, nobody expected the Tigers to contend in this division; what do they have to lose? On the other hand, the Chisox are the defending champs, and were said to have only improved in the offseason. The pressure is on us; we're the team everyone says will be contending in October. The Tigers may feel the Sox pressure, but not so much from anyone else (media, etc.). If anyone should be pressured, it's us, but it's really early, and I doubt that either team feels much pressure at this point.

Alternatively the pressure may be on the Tigers because they haven't had an 80-win season since 1993, while the Sox "broke the curse" last year, became the toast of the town, and are still riding high off of that momentum.

I think it would be the Sox really. I mean for us would it be nice to have some separation? Yes of course it would. But the fact that you guys keep winning too, is helping us really. Because this way should the Tigers fall out of 1st at some point, they'll likely have a substantial lead in the wild card. So it's sort of a win win situation in a way.

Edited by tigerfan

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
The Sox might feel the pressure BECAUSE they were supposed to have gotten better this year and yet, they are in 2nd place...BUT, they have Ozzie and haven't clicked on all cylinders yet, with the struggles of Uribe, Podsednik, BA, Garland and the inconsistency of the bullpen. This looks to be changing, though.

The Sox are better this year, with a winning percentage of .638 compared to .611 for last season. Even though they did not get off to as good of a start, this team seems to be built much better for the long haul.

If both teams play about .550 ball the rest of the way, they both will be looking at 95-97 wins, which should be good enough for the Division and a Wild Card berth.

AL Central Division winner vs TEX/OAK

AL Central WC winner vs BOS/NYY

QUOTE(tigerfan @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
I think it would be the Sox really. I mean for us would it be nice to have some separation? Yes of course it would. But the fact that you guys keep winning too, is helping us really. Because this way should the Tigers fall out of 1st at some point, they'll likely have a substantial lead in the wild card. So it's sort of a win win situation in a way.

I think both teams are happy and confident right now. If both teams keep it up, they will be pretty far ahead of the pack by the end of the year.

QUOTE(jenksd @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 02:51 PM)
I think both clubs are feeling very good about themselves right now.

What he said.

I do think that the Tigers have to feel like they're playing with house money right now. The longer they stay in first, the more confident they're going to feel. I just wonder when they're going to hit that stretch where they drop 6 of 7 and how they're going to react. Overall, I think the Sox have a better foundation for continued success this season. The Tigers have too many question marks in their starting rotation (when it comes to season-long success and durability, not "stuff" or skill).

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 05:34 PM)
I'll settle for the Wild Card if we must, and then just destroy the Tigers in the postseason as we have so far this year.

Agreed. If we keep winning, Detroit has no control of the fact we'd get the wild card in that senario (we already lead by 5 games). All I want is to make it back to the playoffs and have a chance to defend our title, I don't care if it's home field, as a wild card, takes 163 games, whatever.....just give me a shot in October and I'm happy, cuz you never know.