What are the chances of Fields in left...

wilmot825

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 10:42 AM)
With Pods having his best season last year and starting to decline, and also in a contract year is there a shot of letting him go for....Josh Fields in Left? This is only good if Crede signs long-term...what are the chances? :gosox1:

Don't we have Crede under contract through 2008?

As for Fields, you have a better chance seeing Pablo being our starting LF next year.

I agree with what pretty much everyone else is saying here that there's 0 chance of him being the starting LF next year. Furthermore, I think his path to the big leagues is blocked pretty well for the next 2 seasons at least, which is why I think he'd make an excellent trade chip.

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 09:08 AM)
I agree with what pretty much everyone else is saying here that there's 0 chance of him being the starting LF next year. Furthermore, I think his path to the big leagues is blocked pretty well for the next 2 seasons at least, which is why I think he'd make an excellent trade chip.

Agreed. I could see Pods being dealt after this season, but Fields won't replace him immediately. I'm sure that KW doesn't like the possibility of another highly-touted prospect hitting below the Mendoza line in our lineup next season. Pods is unspectacular at the plate at times, but Ozuna isn't much worse, his defense in LF is comparable, and he's cheaper. And unless his back becomes a big problem, I don't see Crede going anywhere.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 01:29 PM)
The more I see of Podsednik in left field, the more I think he won't be back next year.

Especially if he continues to be this inconsistent at the plate.

With the way he is currently playing, the only way I see him coming back is if he takes a cheap contract. Otherwise, the Sox will probably look elsewhere.

I think there's a far better chance of Sweeney in LF than Fields. IMO, barring injury, either Fields or Crede will be gone from the White Sox organization by opening day 2007. Crede is going to start getting very expensive, and Fields value is skyrocketing. Might be a case like Philadelphia had with Howard and Thome at first base.

Unless he starts playing LF down in Charlotte on a regular basis, I would say zero.

He hasn't played LF yet. I think he would be playing LF if KW had him replacing Pods next year. Jerry Owens has been playing LF and Ryan Sweeney has been seeing alot of time in CF lately :huh:

Maybe Ryan should see some time in LF, but then again who would be our lead-off hitter?

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 08:56 AM)
Don't we have Crede under contract through 2008?

As for Fields, you have a better chance seeing Pablo being our starting LF next year.

No, Joe Crede is not under contract through 2008. Joe Crede is on a 1 year deal signed last offseason. Joe Crede is however arbitration eligible through the 2008 season, meaning he is under the White Sox's control until the end of that year. Therefore, we have him, but we don't know how much he'll cost, and w edon't know if we'll be able to hold onto him beyond that time.

Edited by Balta1701

If we were to led Pods go, the easy choice IMO to leadoff is Gooch. He's a career .281/.341 guy at the plate (not too bad) with adequate speed and has quality at bats. He strikes out too much for a leadoff hitter, but IMO he could make adjustments like he did last year (bunting, going to RF, less power) in order to walk and get on base more, in which case you could live with the k's. My issue there is though, who would hit 2nd in that case? No idea, maybe he's Sweeney or maybe he's not in our organization yet. All I know is between Pods D, his inconsistency at the plate, his suddendly slower speed, and his age.......along with the talk of moving Fields to left, it's clear a change may come next season.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

There is no reason for Pods to be back next year as a starter. Let him walk, don't even bother with offering him Arbitration--if that is even an option.

I believe the team has a "club option" on his contract for 2007. There is no reason to pick that option up. I'd like to see a blockbuster trade for Cabrera in the offseason, although with the Marlins surprising again, I doubt they will be shopping him.

On an aside note, anyone who says the Marlins aren't a well run organization is kidding themselves. 2 titles from an expansion team, then a firesale, in which they LOADED themselves up with talent (that is producing ALREADY) and plenty of options going forward. Their owner migh be clueless as to how to market the team or get a stadium built, but he has good baseball people in place.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 01:29 PM)
There is no reason for Pods to be back next year as a starter. Let him walk, don't even bother with offering him Arbitration--if that is even an option.

I believe the team has a "club option" on his contract for 2007. There is no reason to pick that option up. I'd like to see a blockbuster trade for Cabrera in the offseason, although with the Marlins surprising again, I doubt they will be shopping him.

On an aside note, anyone who says the Marlins aren't a well run organization is kidding themselves. 2 titles from an expansion team, then a firesale, in which they LOADED themselves up with talent (that is producing ALREADY) and plenty of options going forward. Their owner migh be clueless as to how to market the team or get a stadium built, but he has good baseball people in place.

Their owner is a complete idiot (Loria), so is their marketing guy (Sampson I think is his name)......but their GM Larry Beinfest is a GENIUS, he's the guy that gets all the credit for what is going on right now. He loaded up during the "firesale", and it's paying off already.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
I have always had the feeling the organization wasn't that high on Pods, and its becoming very obvious as the 06 season goes on....

We traded away a guy that could have brought back a lot more in return in Carlos "El Caballo" Lee in order to get Pods (along with Viz) so I think there was at least some point in time when the organization was high on him. How soon we forget the 2005 post-season with his clutch hits...now Pods is supposedly waiver fodder for the organization. So that they can bring up someone else from Triple A and let them "learn" how to field a new position and battle through a sub-.200 BA while getting used to the majors. Not going to happen.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
We traded away a guy that could have brought back a lot more in return in Carlos "El Caballo" Lee in order to get Pods (along with Viz) so I think there was at least some point in time when the organization was high on him. How soon we forget the 2005 post-season with his clutch hits...now Pods is supposedly waiver fodder for the organization. So that they can bring up someone else from Triple A and let them "learn" how to field a new position and battle through a sub-.200 BA while getting used to the majors. Not going to happen.

We also made that trade to free up about $7 million in salary for 2005, salary which turned into Tadahito Iguchi, AJ Pierzynski, Dustin Hermanson, and I think a couple of others.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)

No one is forgetting anything from 2005.

But this is a new year and the slate is wiped clean.

Bottom line is that if he continues to play like one of the 3 worst leftfielders in baseball defensively and continues to be this streaky at the plate, he's not going to be around for next season. I don't see anything wrong with it either. Of course he could always pick up his D and his consistency at the plate and this won't be an issue.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)

The White Sox didn't receive equal talent back because of financial considerations. The Sox most likely never would have made that trade at the time if the money was the same. It freed up cash for guys like AJP, and Iguchi. The Sox were very happy with Pods the first half of last year, and obviously in the playoffs. Defensively I think he's always been at least a little dissappointment to them. If you recall, there was debate as to who would play left and who would play CF between him and Rowand last year. Ozzie initially penciled Pods in CF. I think his defense has dropped off even more this season. Offensively, the only thing worse this season than last is his batting average. His OBP is pretty similar, he's driving in more runs, scoring more runs, IMO having a better offensive season. He's arbitration eligible, and will get expensive. Next offseason we will get the definitive answer about how much they really think of him, if they don't move him sooner.

All good points about clearing up salary space to sign other players. I just think that the Sox brass is a little higher on Pods (still) than people here are making it seem. Sure they would like him to make less errors, get more hits and steal more bases (like he did in early '05) but they know that he is a catalyst for their offense and that we are a better team with him. Luckily his slumps this year have been covered up by Ozuna's successes but I don't think KW will let Pods go so that Ozzie can play Ozuna full-time next year, since Ozuna, when he is on fire, is like a Pods but we can't consistently depend on that. If we get a guy like Crawford, then I am all for kicking Pods to the curb but until then, I'll take my chances with him...especially if AJ gets into it again.

Uh, Ozuna is NOT an outfielder. If KW thinks Ozuna is the full time answer in LF, then he should not be a GM.

Ozuna in LF would be far and away the WORST starting LF in MLB. The only organization he could start for would be the Royals, and even then, I doubt it.

He's a great guy to have around on the bench, not a starting LF.