What are the chances of Fields in left...

wilmot825

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
So far in this thread:

Pods is overpriced

Gooch is a good lead off hitter

Pods is overpriced right now, even if he made the league minimum...and Gooch is the only thing on this team resembling an everyday leadoff guy besides Pods.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
Pods is overpriced right now, even if he made the league minimum...and Gooch is the only thing on this team resembling an everyday leadoff guy besides Pods.

How does he resemble a lead off hitter? Even with PODs slumping he is getting on base with more frequency than Gooch.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 02:53 PM)
How does he resemble a lead off hitter? Even with PODs slumping he is getting on base with more frequency than Gooch.

You can make up for not walking quite enough if you can hit for average, which Gooch does. On an ideal team, Gooch obviously does not hit leadoff, but this team has nobody that would even be a consideration to leadoff other than him. If Pods were to leave, we'd have to find somebody else on the open market to leadoff, which is the biggest problem here.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
You can make up for not walking quite enough if you can hit for average, which Gooch does. On an ideal team, Gooch obviously does not hit leadoff, but this team has nobody that would even be a consideration to leadoff other than him. If Pods were to leave, we'd have to find somebody else on the open market to leadoff, which is the biggest problem here.

A lead off hitter's measure of worth is in OBP. Not batting avg. He needs to be on base frequently, whether walking or hitting. Gooch has a higher BA, but a lower OBP, plus he is not a real stealing or bunting for base hit threat. He is not a leadoff hitter

I don't think in today's game a classical leadoff hitter is a necessity. How many innings does Pods actually leadoff? For this season, he most likely will remain where he is, and as awful as he's supposedly been, he's only OBP is only .011 lower than last season, and he's hitting the ball with far more authority. Its very possible this is Pods last year with the Sox, and if it is, I'm sure the leadoff spot will be addressed.

My take is the White Sox are hoping Jerry Owens has a strong July and August and shows he's ready to take over as leadoff hitter/LF for 2007. If not I believe he'll be dealt and they will stick with Podsednik for another year.

They are not happy with Podsednik's performance, rightfully so. He's been mediocre. I also believe he hasn't been 100% physically. Not an excuse for him but the White Sox will factor it in when planning for 2007. It appears he breaks down easily. If he doesn't improve his defense they'll find another solution. Problem is, Owens is mediocre defensively too ... not to mention effective leadoff hitters are extremely difficutl to find.