• Old Style
    • Keystone
    • Colt .45 / Olde English

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My ranking from best to worst:

1) Natty Light (easily the best in this group)

2) Olde English (Colt .45 is the only beer on this list I haven't had)

3) Keystone

4) PBR

5) Schlitz

6) Old Style

7) Milwaukee's Best (basically undrinkable)

This is a pretty comprehensive list of the worst beers out there. I'd only add Icehouse, Hamm's and Stagg beer. The only place I know where you can still get Stagg beer is at the Legendary Luca Grill in downtown bloomington. Maybe my favorite bar in the world. It also still sells Schlitz, for those of you who haven't had it.

No Schaefers? That beer is PISS!! Absolutely nasty, you think schlitz is bad, go and try schaefers.

Natty Light is not that bad, considering it tastes like water. I basically lived off Natty my first two years of college. I have only had "Eight Ball" in a 40 and didnt think it was too bad. For the rest of them they are basically equal.

Wood beat me to Schaefer's. But let's not forget a few old favs.... Falstaff, Pfieffer, Carling's Black Label, Falls City, Sterling, Little Kings, Old Milwaukee, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Busch, Hudepohl, Iron City... Oh, I am sure there are many others.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 12:52 AM)
Red White and Blue was left off this list...why?

You may not believe it, but PBR and Red, White and Blue are the EXACT same beer, from the exact same recipe, and even canned and bottled off of the same lines at the Milwaukee brewery. I do not know if the procedure is the same at the Olympia brewery.

A beer friend sawit with his own eyes on a brewery tour several yeears ago alternating PBR and RWB cans go throgh the same fillers. He asked a technician and he confided that they in ffact are the same beer. They can charge slightly more for PBR for name recognition and because of loyal nostalgia buysers, and the extra money goes into marketing for PBR.

Perfect example of the problem of American megabrew – the marketing makes the beer, and not the other way around.

As for NUKES poll, I'd certainly go out of my way to avoid pretty much everything on the lst, but of course you can't do that 100% of the time. Case in point, our local gourmet grocery sells a variety of excelleny beers, and they also havve a courtesy keg always tapped for customers to have a beer while shopping. The problem is the courtesy keg is Nattty Light (which, interestingl, they don't even sell!). So, while I agree Natty is fairly vile, how the hell am I going to pass up a chance to drink beer whle shopping for some steaks to BBQ?

In general as far as megaswill is concerned, I much preffer regional to national brands, if only for the slight (oh so slight) flavor varieties. Many people will disagree, but I'd prefer Old Style to anything else on the list, if only because there is some flavor distinction and some hopping that is actually approachijng the taste perception threshold. You know, like a real beer.

The worst on the list - an admittedly scary list - I'd say are Keystone and Milwaukee's Best.

I will make killer brats and gumbo with any of those brands, however.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 09:09 AM)
Oh definately The Beast...............and Blue Moon is def the most overrated beer out there,

Blue Moon does an ok job of dumbing down the Belgian witbier style for American palates. But, compared to Hoegarden or Bavic or even some of the American craft renditions, it doesn't even rate.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
Blue Moon does an ok job of dumbing down the Belgian witbier style for American palates. But, compared to Hoegarden or Bavic or even some of the American craft renditions, it doesn't even rate.

Blue Moon tastes like Corona with the lime juice already in it, in other words piss water.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 07:04 PM)
How does Budweiser not make this list? Any beer that contains rice is not really beer.

On par with Old Style has to be Miller High Life, the chapagne of urine.

Beer with rice in it is no worse than beer with corn in it in my book. It's all cheap fermentable adjunct to save on malt.

Sure, historically, corn was the adjunct used with American 6-row barley, to cut its harshness and to leverage its high diastatic abilities, but give me a beer with good old Euro 2-row and leave out the adjuncts. :drink

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 06:04 PM)
How does Budweiser not make this list? Any beer that contains rice is not really beer.

On par with Old Style has to be Miller High Life, the chapagne of urine.

I dont mind High Life, I will drink High Life Light when we go back to my girlfriends hometown...its good stuff and at 1.50 a bottle you cant beat it