• Schlitz
    • Old Style
    • Keystone
    • Colt .45 / Olde English

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pabst Blue Ribbon is usually my beer of choice. Yes, PBR is usually my beer of choice, all kidding aside.

If I'm staying away from imports--which usually means only Corona, Heine's, or Peroni--it's either PBR or Coors Lite--a beer I'm starting to dig more and more.

Unfortunately, my friends are Miller Lite whores and I'm usally stuck drinking a beer I'm not crazy about--oh well, such is the way of college life.

My vote: Old Style.

Absolutely awful. Undrinkable. I would rather finish a Pony-Keg of any of the other beers on that list than finish one can of Old Style. Chicago's Beer my ass.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)
My vote: Old Style.

Absolutely awful. Undrinkable. I would rather finish a Pony-Keg of any of the other beers on that list than finish one can of Old Style. Chicago's Beer my ass.

Now I'm really curious to know the IBUs (International Bittering Units - the hopping rate) of Old Style compared to the others in the list. I agree there is a balance issue with Old Style, and certainly there is not enough moalt body to hold its own against even a marginal amount of hops. But I wonder if that is it (higher IBUs relative to the American swillsner standard) about people detesting Old Style and my finding it to be tolerable (in an any-port-in-the-storm kind of way).

I have to see if that info is published anywhere.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 10:45 PM)
I dont mind High Life, I will drink High Life Light when we go back to my girlfriends hometown...its good stuff and at 1.50 a bottle you cant beat it

I'm actually a big fan of the High Life as well, mostly cause it is the cheapest beer in my hometown and thats what I started drinking on.

Hands down, Miller Lite is the worst.

I don't get why people are so hard on the "cheap" beers. Most of em have no flavor, so they don't taste "bad". If you're my age and pretty much drink to get drunk 90% of the time, a 12 dollar case of beer works just fine. But if we're talking about "beer snobs" here, then I can understand. haha

Here are some cheap beers that I enjoy:

High Life/Light

Bud Light

Bud

PBR -- Reluctant to drink it now since it's become the "trendy" beer to drink. When I think cheap, trendy beers, I think Cubs. (Old Pile)

BUSCH LIGHT! My favorite--to get drunk. It literally has no flavor. 10.99 for a 30 case!

MGD -- When I'm feeling wealthy and am willing to drop 18 bucks on a case. :P

Keystone Ice -- The ultimate party beer. If they don't have a keg, they have cases upon cases of Keystone Ice.

Due to this thread, I now need to make a beer run. Assholes.

Also, my favorite cheap beer is Baltika No. 9 from Russia. I got a case of 20 pint bottles from a Polish neighborhood in Chicago for $22. 8% ABV and it tastes very good. As my friend commented, "Wow, I didn't know they bottled God's nutsack sweat."

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 10:15 AM)
My favorite cheap beer is Icehouse. It comes from that being the cool beer when I was in college, and I just stuck with it.

Good choice, cheap and good alcohol content, but would give me some mean ass hangovers.

I think whoever invented Ice Lite was a genius.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)
Due to this thread, I now need to make a beer run. Assholes.

Also, my favorite cheap beer is Baltika No. 9 from Russia. I got a case of 20 pint bottles from a Polish neighborhood in Chicago for $22. 8% ABV and it tastes very good. As my friend commented, "Wow, I didn't know they bottled God's nutsack sweat."

Sorry, man, but NO reference to nutsack sweat would make me thirsty. Not even God's....

QUOTE(Julius_Seizures @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
Milwaukee's best is just god awful but if you wanna enjoy a beer and are willing to get fat from it drink genuis or strongbow freakin amazing lol :cheers

Strongbow is a cider.

And what is this "genius" you speak of?

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 08:23 PM)
northern beer is the worst.

Are you serious?

Pacific Northwest American Ale is already a world class style. Lots of good beers out of the northeast as well. And plenty of good craft beer out of Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan as well.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 08:02 AM)
Hands down, Miller Lite is the worst.

I don't get why people are so hard on the "cheap" beers. Most of em have no flavor, so they don't taste "bad". If you're my age and pretty much drink to get drunk 90% of the time, a 12 dollar case of beer works just fine. But if we're talking about "beer snobs" here, then I can understand. haha

Here are some cheap beers that I enjoy:

High Life/Light

Bud Light

Bud

PBR -- Reluctant to drink it now since it's become the "trendy" beer to drink. When I think cheap, trendy beers, I think Cubs. (Old Pile)

BUSCH LIGHT! My favorite--to get drunk. It literally has no flavor. 10.99 for a 30 case!

MGD -- When I'm feeling wealthy and am willing to drop 18 bucks on a case. :P

Keystone Ice -- The ultimate party beer. If they don't have a keg, they have cases upon cases of Keystone Ice.

I think that the word 'Light' after most of these beers is redundant, because they're all already like sex in a canoe--f***in' close to water. I don't like counteracting trends, I just drink what I like and I like both PBR and High Life.

PBR and High Life are just about equal in the trend factor, PBR a little more just because people enjoy the novelty of drinking out of a can. I prefer High Life to PBR, it's what's in my fridge right now. but the Champagne of Beers is only closely trailing in prevalence in the indie dive joints of Silver Lake, Los Feliz, and Echo Park.

I also like Tecate, and the dive near my old workplace had it for $7 a pitcher.

I can't really get drunk on beer, mainly because I simply have no interest in consuming that much liquid in a night. If you want to rock a lowbrow old-school cocktail, might I suggest a 7 and 7.

Natty Light hands down the worst beer.....I think I drank in for 2 months straight my freshman year in college.....will never touch it ever again

Average Priced: Miller Lite mmmmm my favorite

Good s***: Bell's Oberon, Fat Tire, This crazy rasberry beer I got in Tucosn when I was down there for spring training.....forgot what brewery it was but I know it was local.

If anyone wants to goto beer heaven come out to Denver this fall for the "Great American Beerfest" just imagine 4 straight hours of power hour with 1,200 different types of beer

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)
Natty Light hands down the worst beer.....I think I drank in for 2 months straight my freshman year in college.....will never touch it ever again

Average Priced: Miller Lite mmmmm my favorite

Good s***: Bell's Oberon, Fat Tire, This crazy rasberry beer I got in Tucosn when I was down there for spring training.....forgot what brewery it was but I know it was local.

If anyone wants to goto beer heaven come out to Denver this fall for the "Great American Beerfest" just imagine 4 straight hours of power hour with 1,200 different types of beer

I went in 1995 and have been dreaming about getting back there! But my office mate is moving to Denver (left today as a matter of fact), so now I have a place to stay for GABF!!

Hey, I can't remember, do the Sox play NL West next year for interleague?? If so, then the Denver road trip is as good as done.

Milwaukee's best is just god awful but if you wanna enjoy a beer and are willing to get fat from it drink genuis or strongbow freakin amazing lol

Strongbow is a cider.

And what is this "genius" you speak of?

I kinda feel stupid right now i didnt realize that i spelled it wrong well i might as well go out back and beat myself lol its been awhile since i've had it like i said since it makes you fat lol

QUOTE(Julius_Seizures @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 12:29 AM)

I kinda feel stupid right now i didnt realize that i spelled it wrong well i might as well go out back and beat myself lol its been awhile since i've had it like i said since it makes you fat lol

Ah, it's Guinness then.

"Brilliant!!" :drink :drink

guiness.jpg

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 02:38 AM)
I went in 1995 and have been dreaming about getting back there! But my office mate is moving to Denver (left today as a matter of fact), so now I have a place to stay for GABF!!

Hey, I can't remember, do the Sox play NL West next year for interleague?? If so, then the Denver road trip is as good as done.

They played the NL west last year, and at Coors, so the next time we play the Rockies it will be at home