Jiffy Lube jags....

Steff

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 09:53 AM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1J7d2ssc3Y...echanic%20steal

I'm so glad I know enough about my car to check some of this stuff out. Also helps that I have dealer service which is covered on my warranty. Bunch of assholes.

If people need to go to a Jiffy Lube I always say just get the oil change no matter what they claim you need.

Any other tune-ups, etc you should go to a trusted mechanic or the dealer.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
'Trusted' mechanics are few and far between and the dealerships are the worst. Mechanics are like dentists, you HAVE to take their word for it.

Dealerships where a warranty doesn't cover repairs? I've never owned a car that an issue (that me, my husband, my dad, or grampa couldn't repair) wasn't covered with no out of pocket expense to me.

Whenever I go to a mechanic (which is fairly rare) I tell them what is wrong and ask how much it'll cost to fix it.

I usually know what the problem is and can do most of the repairs myself but every once in a while I'll run across something that I'm not quite sure about or comfortable doing myself. The last time I had it in the shop was because I needed a new starter. It was a pain in the ass to get to, there were a lot of wires sticking out of it and it was the middle of winter.

BTW, if your mechanic tells you that you need blinker fluid or offers to rotate the air in your tires, get a new mechanic. :P

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
My favorite is the 'diagnostic' machine.

Yep. $80 just to turn the damn thing on. Then when they figure out the problem, they quote you another price to actually fix it. Most of which is labor costs. $50 for the part. $150 for them to put it on.

Thats why I never do those repairs there anymore. I went in for a coolant flush one time, and then had to go back due to no coolant in my car. That was the last of them

Also went to a merlins brake place when I was in college and they forgot to tighten the break pads on my car. Never again there either.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
Yep. $80 just to turn the damn thing on. Then when they figure out the problem, they quote you another price to actually fix it. Most of which is labor costs. $50 for the part. $150 for them to put it on.

Yep and they claim to waive the diagnostic fee if you end up having it repaired at their shop. All they do is inflate the cost of parts and labor to make up for it.