Soxtalk's consumer thread

southsider2k5

This thread is for people here to talk about their experiences with companies that they have interactions with, and either like or don't like, or would like to recommend to other people.

For example, if you have a problem with a cellphone company, and want to advice people not to use that company, share your story here.

Did you have an excellent experience buying a car at your local dealership and want to share it? Do it here.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)
This thread is for people here to talk about their experiences with companies that they have interactions with, and either like or don't like, or would like to recommend to other people.

For example, if you have a problem with a cellphone company, and want to advice people not to use that company, share your story here.

Did you have an excellent experience buying a car at your local dealership and want to share it? Do it here.

I have a problem with my newspaper not covering the White Sox more... :P

I had to call Canon for support for my printer and they were excellent. Automated menus were short(meaning I didn't have to go through 10 steps to get to a live person) and the guy was friendly helpful and fixed my problem in a matter of minutes. He was also American!!

On a side note, support was free!! I read in the manual that after a year support is 9.95, but when I got on the phone with the guy I didn't have to prove that in any way. He did ask during our initial exchange of information, when I purchased the printer and I told him....I don't know about 7-8 months ago maybe. I'm not sure if I have to call back in 6 months if they'll tell me I have to pay now....but either way it would have been worth the 10 bucks.

Here is something I just learned the other day for those who are interested in Kodak digital cameras or accessories. My camera recently crapped out on me, and so as I looked for the sameone to replace it, I came across a group on Ebay the specialized in Kodak auctions... well it turns out it actually IS kodak, and they sell their refurbished stuff for WAY cheaper than the factory new stuff. The refurbs come with the same warranty and guarentees, and are factory sealed in the box. The cheapest I could find a replacement anywhere else was about $150, and I won it on Ebay for $83, plus 7.50 for S&H. Here is their list of auctions if anybody else is interested, I definately recommend them to purchasing the exact samethings in the stores.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ2...odakQ2eauctions

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 10:52 AM)
I had to call Canon for support for my printer and they were excellent. Automated menus were short(meaning I didn't have to go through 10 steps to get to a live person) and the guy was friendly helpful and fixed my problem in a matter of minutes. He was also American!!

On a side note, support was free!! I read in the manual that after a year support is 9.95, but when I got on the phone with the guy I didn't have to prove that in any way. He did ask during our initial exchange of information, when I purchased the printer and I told him....I don't know about 7-8 months ago maybe. I'm not sure if I have to call back in 6 months if they'll tell me I have to pay now....but either way it would have been worth the 10 bucks.

You just reminded me of a printer issue I had. I have one of those fancy dancy HP ones with a LCD screen to print pictures - I print a TON of pictures for scrapbooks, etc.. and I got it well over a year before we moved. Once we got into the new house and I hooked it up and the screen was black. Called the store and they told me I would have to call HP. Assuming I would end up buying a new one if I wanted to use the screen (not that big of a deal since I do editing on the computer monitor 99.5% of the time anyway) I went over the issue and the guy tells me if probably got screwed up in the move (from shifting or change in temp or whatever). So he puts me on hold and comes back a few minutes later to tell me that Office Max in Joliet will exchange it at no cost to me. I was floored. Still questioning the deal I took down the number that he gave me, boxed it up, took it back, and with no issue they exchanged it. The guys at OM were awesome, though I was way more shocked that HP would allow an exchange.

My Major League Baseball package on Comcast was out yesterday and I called and they "sent a signal to my box" saying that it would work. Well it didn't. I called back and they can't send someone out until Friday morning to check on it. Plus my high speed internet signal has weakened as well. They refunded me for the days that I won't have my baseball games though, which is probably only a buck a day. Bastards.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 11:21 AM)
My Major League Baseball package on Comcast was out yesterday and I called and they "sent a signal to my box" saying that it would work. Well it didn't. I called back and they can't send someone out until Friday morning to check on it. Plus my high speed internet signal has weakened as well. They refunded me for the days that I won't have my baseball games though, which is probably only a buck a day. Bastards.

Comcast double billed me for services, they are still "looking into it"

Callaway golf clubs has one of the best customer service depts I have ever seen. They sent me a new golf bag no questions asked, very nice people.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
Comcast double billed me for services, they are still "looking into it"

Callaway golf clubs has one of the best customer service depts I have ever seen. They sent me a new golf bag no questions asked, very nice people.

I had the same problem years ago with their automatic internet billing service. Everytime I paid my cable bill (which I did on-line) for some reason the same amount also got paid to the internet. It was a pain the ass to fix, and was a reason I dropped them and went to DSL at home.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
Here is something I just learned the other day for those who are interested in Kodak digital cameras or accessories. My camera recently crapped out on me, and so as I looked for the sameone to replace it, I came across a group on Ebay the specialized in Kodak auctions... well it turns out it actually IS kodak, and they sell their refurbished stuff for WAY cheaper than the factory new stuff. The refurbs come with the same warranty and guarentees, and are factory sealed in the box. The cheapest I could find a replacement anywhere else was about $150, and I won it on Ebay for $83, plus 7.50 for S&H. Here is their list of auctions if anybody else is interested, I definately recommend them to purchasing the exact samethings in the stores.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ2...odakQ2eauctions

Funny that you mention this because I just bought a refurbished C315 (5.0 MP) last week from the same seller. The sales price on the camera is 150 but I got it for 90 + shipping.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
Funny that you mention this because I just bought a refurbished C315 (5.0 MP) last week from the same seller. The sales price on the camera is 150 but I got it for 90 + shipping.

I was looking at the Z7590 as well, but that was a little out of my league price-wise. Very nice piece of equiptment though. I stayed with my Z700, 4MP, 20X zoom.

I guess this is a good place to add this. AOHell really sucks.

I went through something similair when I tried to cancel my account. I called them to find out when my contract ended and was eventually told 3 different dates. Then when I did cancel they continued to charge my credit card for a couple of months afterward. I finally called my credit card company and they got my money back for me.

Also, Verizon likes to promise you certain credits/savings and then not give them to you when your bill comes in. I had them for the 14 day free trial period. We found out that US Cellular is actually cheaper so I cancelled on the 14th day and ended up with a $700+ bill because they charged me cancellation fees. I called them and complained about it and they had to look into it. A week later they got it down to $50 (for the minutes used) but I had to wait until they sent me a new bill. I finally got rid of them for good a month later.

I had a problem with my Sirius radio...

So I'm sitting and enjoying my commercial-free, uncensored broadcasts knowing that the Playboy channel will now be "on the air". The previous day I registered on-line to receive the station. So there I am sitting in my underwear, drinking a beer and when I turn the radio to Station 198...nothing.

It says I must register for the channel!

I did already!

So I call the number on the display. My phone is now covered in suntan lotion.

The guy says it'll be on in five minutes and thanks for registering.

5 minutes and two beers pass and nothing. 10 minutes...nothing. 15 minutes...nothing. I call back, a bit angry and they tell me there must be a problem and to check back tomorrow.

Needless to say that was the worst drive home I ever had from work.

:P

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
I had a problem with my Sirius radio...

So I'm sitting and enjoying my commercial-free, uncensored broadcasts knowing that the Playboy channel will now be "on the air". The previous day I registered on-line to receive the station. So there I am sitting in my underwear, drinking a beer and when I turn the radio to Station 198...nothing.

It says I must register for the channel!

I did already!

So I call the number on the display. My phone is now covered in suntan lotion.

The guy says it'll be on in five minutes and thanks for registering.

5 minutes and two beers pass and nothing. 10 minutes...nothing. 15 minutes...nothing. I call back, a bit angry and they tell me there must be a problem and to check back tomorrow.

Needless to say that was the worst drive home I ever had from work.

:P

LMAO!!! That channel is hysterical. One night Jim and I were driving some "friends" - who will remain nameless unless they choose to repeat the story - back to their car from Jimbo's. I had never seen faces get so red so fast.. :lolhitting

T-mobile has to have some of the worst customer service people in the industry. I signed up for the ezpay system where it deducts your payment from your credit card. After 2 months of easy payments passed, I got a text telling me my bill was overdue for the next month. After calling back to a rep, they assured me that I never signed up for the ezpay service. I then pointed out that they had already deducted the money the two pervious months. They said that maybe I paid via check over the phone. After much arguing with them they were determined that I never used the Ezpay system, and I would have to pay the late charges. After yet another BBB report on them I was finally refunded my late fees. Of course this month, my ezpay didnt work again. They are horrible.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
T-mobile has to have some of the worst customer service people in the industry. I signed up for the ezpay system where it deducts your payment from your credit card. After 2 months of easy payments passed, I got a text telling me my bill was overdue for the next month. After calling back to a rep, they assured me that I never signed up for the ezpay service. I then pointed out that they had already deducted the money the two pervious months. They said that maybe I paid via check over the phone. After much arguing with them they were determined that I never used the Ezpay system, and I would have to pay the late charges. After yet another BBB report on them I was finally refunded my late fees. Of course this month, my ezpay didnt work again. They are horrible.

Switch to Cingular. It's the best.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)

Is it really? Thats what I was thinking about. My company issues me a blackberry for cellphone/email so I really just need a simple phone for texting and personal calling. Is cingular really good? How are their phones?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
Is it really? Thats what I was thinking about. My company issues me a blackberry for cellphone/email so I really just need a simple phone for texting and personal calling. Is cingular really good? How are their phones?

I have the Treo via Cingular and Jim has the Razr. Love both. Love the service.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 08:07 PM)
I have the Treo via Cingular and Jim has the Razr. Love both. Love the service.

I personally had bad issues with Cingular, but that's here in Dallas. I'm with Verizon now and it works better and doesn't drop as many calls as Cingular did.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
I personally had bad issues with Cingular, but that's here in Dallas. I'm with Verizon now and it works better and doesn't drop as many calls as Cingular did.

f*** Cingular. They are a bunch of crooks. They tried to scumbag me out of cancelation fees, when they said they were being waved, they lied to me about getting out of a contract, and they lied to be about who to be contacting with problems.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
f*** Cingular. They are a bunch of crooks. They tried to scumbag me out of cancelation fees, when they said they were being waved, they lied to me about getting out of a contract, and they lied to be about who to be contacting with problems.

Someone messed up the dates on their calendar. :rolly

Personally, I love Cingular. I have the Sony Ericsson W600i and love it. Great sound and service. Havent had a dropped call yet. Customer Service is great too. You can do everything over the internet.

A company called MDU Communications supplied me with the receiver for my DirecTV service. My job relocated a couple of months before the end of my DirecTV contract, so I called them and they sent me a box in which I could return the receiver (which turned out to be way too small... I have no idea what they were thinking). After moving and right before my contract was up, I mailed off the receiver in an appropriately-sized box that I had to "borrow" from work. Three weeks later, I received a bill from a freaking collection agency for the $200 unreturned receiver. I called their billing department and spoke to someone who had never bothered to learn proper English, who informed me that they had received the satellite receiver in good condition and that I owed them nothing. After I asked why they sent a collection agency after me, I was transferred to the collections department and had to leave a voicemail. Nobody called back the next day, so I left another voicemail. Still nothing. The third time I left a message, somebody with equally-poor English returned my call. It turns out that they expected the receiver RIGHT AWAY, despite not providing me with a "due date" and despite the fact that I was still under contract with DirecTV (and paying my monthly bills) when I sent the stupid thing back to them. When I asked why they went to a collection agency instead of, say, sending me a letter or giving me a phone call, the lady on the phone blamed her co-worker. :rolly

Needless to say, I won't ever do business with these idiots again.