A thought regarding managers at the All Star game

tigerfan

I think that whoever manages in the all star game should be the manager whose team has the best record in it's respective league after a certain point in the season. I don't like it as it is now, with the two managers whose teams got into the world series the year before. IMO, last year was last year, it shouldn't play in to what happens in the following year. What do you guys think?

QUOTE(tigerfan @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
I think that whoever manages in the all star game should be the manager whose team has the best record in it's respective league after a certain point in the season. I don't like it as it is now, with the two managers whose teams got into the world series the year before. IMO, last year was last year, it shouldn't play in to what happens in the following year. What do you guys think?

You just want the Tigers manager to manage and you know you aren't winning the World Series. That's it right? Right?

QUOTE(tigerfan @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)

i think many things should be overhauled about the allstar game especially the way players are picked and the role fans have in that. that said, it doesn't bother me the way the managers are currently chosen but it also wouldn't bother me if they went with the manager with the best record up to the game.

QUOTE(tigerfan @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
lol no, that's not it at all. I had feeling someone would say that though. But anyway I am serious about this.

No, it's a fair suggestion, but I couldn't resist. What's more important though- the World Series or having the best record in your league at the All-Star break. Plus managers will want time to plan their All-Star weekends so they wouldn't like it if the AS manager switches within a week of the game. They could pick a date a certain amount of time before the game and multiple managers are in the bench anyway, but I just don't see the point. Yeah, it makes sense for the All-Star game to be performance based on the current year for managers, but it's easier the way it is IMO.

Maybe they should decide best record after June 30, kind of how the NBA does it, 2 weeks before the game. The one thing that's stupid is liking WS HFA to to ASG. I don't want some Cub or Pirate dictating whether we have HFA in the WS or not. That's stupid. I also think the previous idea of rotatin was also stupid, MLB saying that it'd be more cities where they need to secure a lot of hotel rooms on short notice??

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 10:42 PM)
You just want the Tigers manager to manage and you know you aren't winning the World Series. That's it right? Right?

HAHAHAHAHAHA. I like it the way it is, it rewards the teams that went to the World Series and lets them have a say in the rosters for the ASG the next year. Know what All Star Game rule Id like to see changed?

KEEP THE ROTATION INTACT AND LET EVERYONE HAVE A FAIR CHANCE TO HOST.

Seligs nonsensical decision to start awarding the games to teams who have "new" stadiums, was nothing more than a way for him to provide a "reward" for teams, and of course, to have control over the process.

In other words, make sure you send Bud a christmas card every year, and get in good with him and the upper crust who are running the game, and you can probably have the AllStar Game next.

Before, everyone just took turns. Now, the Commissioner "decides" who gets next. How the hell do the Pirates get the All Star Game in 97 and 06? BS

Edited by Hangar18

The best record doesn't necessarily mean they are the best manager.

If that was the case it would be a better idea to take last year's managers of the year, and have them manage the ASG.

For Player voting -

There should be a minimum amount of fan votes needed to get in, like 1 million, and if a player does not get that many votes, he needs to be voted in by the players/managers or added by the ASG manager.

The problem with that is that best record is so fluid that you'd have to cut it off in time to select the team and by the time the game comes around, theres a good chance they won't have the best record anymore.

Like the NBA. The cut-off date is January 30. I like the manager of the year idea from last year somewhat, too.

So if the Tigers won the series last year and they were behind the White Sox by 1 game in the standings, do you think Oz should be the manager? I don't see a problem with the manager rule, it seems to be a reward for accomplishing great things last year.