White Sox agree to terms with McCulloch

Soxfest

The White Sox and right-hander Kyle McCulloch, the team's first-round draft pick out of the University of Texas, agreed to a contract Tuesday.

The 6-foot-3 McCulloch was named the Big 12 Conference pitcher of the year after going 8-5 with a 3.61 ERA as a junior this season. He was the winning pitcher in the clinching game of the College World Series in 2005 when the Longhorns beat Florida for the title.

Kyle McCulloch was relieved after agreeing to a $1.05 million signing bonus two weeks after the Sox selected him as the 29th overall pick in the June amateur draft.

McCulloch, a junior from Texas, will report to Advanced Rookie-Great Falls (Mont.).

"I'm very excited to have that part out of the way, and now it's time to get back to baseball," McCulloch said.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 09:21 PM)
Sounds good. I hope he can throw in the 93-95 range as I've heard. What I've seen of him was in the 89-91 range.

His velocity was down for the most part this year and thats why he slid to us. He's a pretty polished kid and I'm surprised we are starting him in short season.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 05:22 AM)
I have a feeling either the Sox are concerned about the drop in velocity so they want to take it easy on him this year, or this will be a short stop in Great Falls.

If they were concerned about his drop in velocity they wouldn't have drafted him in the 1st round.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 10:24 AM)
If they were concerned about his drop in velocity they wouldn't have drafted him in the 1st round.

I don't think they are worried, like they think it is a forever kind of thing, more like they know he threw a lot of high stress innings, and want to ease him into professional competition, while not risking any injuries from being tired.

I have nothing to base this on, other than pure speculation on my part.

Little late to the party, but here's FutureSox's story:

White Sox Agree to Terms With Top Choice McCulloch

By Jason Gage

FutureSox.com

On Tuesday, the White Sox came to terms with 1st round draft choice Kyle McCulloch. The Sox and McCulloch reach an agreement on a $1.05 million signing bonus.

McCulloch, a junior, was the Friday starter for the Texas Longhorns. After signing the deal, McCulloch went on to say, "I'm very excited to have that part out of the way, and now it's time to get back to baseball,".

The Sox will send McCulloch to advanced rookie Great Falls. FutureSox.com is working on an interview with McCulloch and as always we will do our very best to keep you updated on his (and the fellow draft picks) success in the minors.

The 6-3 righty went 8-5 with a 3.61 ERA in his final season with the Horns. It was a slight downgrade from his sophomore season, where won 10 games while posting a 2.92 ERA for the 05 National Champions.

McCulloch was considered a “safe” pick by many scouts. He lacks the upper end velocity scouts drool over, but has good command of all four of his pitches (FB, Changeup, Curve, and Slider).

When on, McCulloch uses his 88-91 MPH fastball (which has been clocked into the mid 90’s) to get ahead of the hitters. He’ll than mix in his plus changeup, a big overhand curve, and a developing slider. The changeup and curve ball are what you’d call his “out” pitches.

Great Falls began its season yesterday (June 20th) and McCulloch is expected to make his first start sometime in the next 10 days.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)
Little late to the party, but here's FutureSox's story:

White Sox Agree to Terms With Top Choice McCulloch

By Jason Gage

FutureSox.com

On Tuesday, the White Sox came to terms with 1st round draft choice Kyle McCulloch. The Sox and McCulloch reach an agreement on a $1.05 million signing bonus.

McCulloch, a junior, was the Friday starter for the Texas Longhorns. After signing the deal, McCulloch went on to say, "I'm very excited to have that part out of the way, and now it's time to get back to baseball,".

The Sox will send McCulloch to advanced rookie Great Falls. FutureSox.com is working on an interview with McCulloch and as always we will do our very best to keep you updated on his (and the fellow draft picks) success in the minors.

The 6-3 righty went 8-5 with a 3.61 ERA in his final season with the Horns. It was a slight downgrade from his sophomore season, where won 10 games while posting a 2.92 ERA for the 05 National Champions.

McCulloch was considered a “safe” pick by many scouts. He lacks the upper end velocity scouts drool over, but has good command of all four of his pitches (FB, Changeup, Curve, and Slider).

When on, McCulloch uses his 88-91 MPH fastball (which has been clocked into the mid 90’s) to get ahead of the hitters. He’ll than mix in his plus changeup, a big overhand curve, and a developing slider. The changeup and curve ball are what you’d call his “out” pitches.

Great Falls began its season yesterday (June 20th) and McCulloch is expected to make his first start sometime in the next 10 days.

ARGH