Smoltz

BobDylan

I forgot who wrote it and what paper it was in, but there was an article that suggested KW go after John Smoltz and Andruw Jones. I hadn't heard anything since then about either of the players coming to the White Sox. BUT, could KW make it happen?

Jones makes 13.5 mil this season, and he's 29 years old. Smoltz is no better, 11 million and 39 years old. That's a lot of salary to bite, but I think they could start by shipping Freddy Garcia away. From there, if the Sox could for Atlanta to bite more off those two salaries, what else would Atlanta be looking for from the Sox? Do they have what it takes to get a deal like this made?

This may sound weird but I think if Smoltz goes anywhere it will be Detroit. He is from Detroit, the have some bullpen to give ATL....like Zumaya or Rodney and some other young players the Bravos could like. Watch for the Tigres to look to add another starter in my opinion.

QUOTE(BFirebird @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 05:42 AM)
This may sound weird but I think if Smoltz goes anywhere it will be Detroit. He is from Detroit, the have some bullpen to give ATL....like Zumaya or Rodney and some other young players the Bravos could like. Watch for the Tigres to look to add another starter in my opinion.

I dont think Zumaya is going anywhere.

QUOTE(BFirebird @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 12:42 AM)

A Zumaya for Smoltz deal would be awesome...

...for the White Sox.

Smoltz? As a reliever or something? Don't think the Sox would spend the money, nor do I think they would give up the prospects.

Jones would be interesting, yet again, I don't think they'd spend the dough. We'd be better off just picking up another good reliever.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 12:52 AM)
A Zumaya for Smoltz deal would be awesome...

...for the White Sox.

Yeah I do not mind losing Zumaya from the Central considering he will be their closer probably as soon as next year...and he throws GAS.

If you wanted to trade for these 2, you'd have to dump salary.

So that would mean you'd have to include a starter like Freddy or Jon. Jones is the type of guy KW would probably give up a BA or Sweeney for definitely as well.

Doubt Atlanta will be trading either of them though.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 12:02 AM)
I forgot who wrote it and what paper it was in, but there was an article that suggested KW go after John Smoltz and Andruw Jones. I hadn't heard anything since then about either of the players coming to the White Sox. BUT, could KW make it happen?

Jones makes 13.5 mil this season, and he's 29 years old. Smoltz is no better, 11 million and 39 years old. That's a lot of salary to bite, but I think they could start by shipping Freddy Garcia away. From there, if the Sox could for Atlanta to bite more off those two salaries, what else would Atlanta be looking for from the Sox? Do they have what it takes to get a deal like this made?

I think if a deal like this were to happen, they would have to get rid of Freddy and another ML player, I dont know who that would be unless KW unloaded BA in the deal as well. I dont really see that happening, but I cannot say I would be terribly upset to see BMAC slide into the rotation and see Smoltz slide into the set-up role, but Smoltz would probably want to start. And at 11 million per year, the Sox would probably want him to start too. Smoltz has had so many problems with his elbow though, its a risky proposition.

Andruw Jones is rumored to be having some shoulder problems as well.

Smoltz was on ESPN seemingly endorsing a trade to Detroit. He has veto power on all deals. Someone at ESPN was speculating that Scherholtz and Cox would likely sit down with Smoltz, and if he wanted out would probably grant his request due to all he's done for the Braves, and the fact that the Braves look to be entering a rebuilding faze and Smoltz is getting up there in years. There has been speculation of a Smoltz/Zumaya trade which looks like a decent deal for the Braves, especially since they aren't going to win anything this season but it also would solidify the Detroit rotation. The Sox don't want to fall too far behind Detroit. They will spend lots of money reinforcing their team.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
Smoltz was on ESPN seemingly endorsing a trade to Detroit. He has veto power on all deals. Someone at ESPN was speculating that Scherholtz and Cox would likely sit down with Smoltz, and if he wanted out would probably grant his request due to all he's done for the Braves, and the fact that the Braves look to be entering a rebuilding faze and Smoltz is getting up there in years. There has been speculation of a Smoltz/Zumaya trade which looks like a decent deal for the Braves, especially since they aren't going to win anything this season but it also would solidify the Detroit rotation. The Sox don't want to fall too far behind Detroit. They will spend lots of money reinforcing their team.

I could see Detroit making a run at Smoltz. Esp with their staff so young. What better way then getting a solid and affordable vet like Smoltz.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 07:34 AM)
There has been speculation of a Smoltz/Zumaya trade which looks like a decent deal for the Braves, especially since they aren't going to win anything this season but it also would solidify the Detroit rotation.

That would be the ultimate payback for the Doyle Alexander/John Smoltz deal.

If the Sox were to go after Smoltz, they would have to put a starting pitcher into the deal....and Atlanta would have to be able to take on salary - which I doubt they'd do considering if they are serious about dealing him, other teams would probably be offering prospects.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
That would be the ultimate payback for the Doyle Alexander/John Smoltz deal.

I wouldn't call that payback. I would call that history repeating itself. Doyle Alexander was the established vet and Smoltz was the young pitcher who had promise. If Detroit dealt Zumaya for Smoltz, they would cry again as Zumaya goes on to be a star for the next 15 or so years. Again, the caveat is that if Smoltz leads them to a WS ring (unlikely in my mind with the White Sox and Yanks amongst others standing in their way), then the trade-off might be worth it but he would have to be one of the main reasons they won.

The Sox rotation is built on innings eaters...and Smoltz is not an innings eater anymore. He doesn't want to go to the bullpen, so he won't be coming to the Sox. Andruw, while being an offensive upgrade, isn't that big of a defensive upgrade. Maybe 5 years ago, he would be, but BA is doing well defensively. There are other parts of this team that needs an upgrade, and that might have been already solved with the trade for Riske.

Honestly, this might be the first year that KW stands pat, barring injuries.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 07:35 AM)
I wouldn't call that payback. I would call that history repeating itself. Doyle Alexander was the established vet and Smoltz was the young pitcher who had promise. If Detroit dealt Zumaya for Smoltz, they would cry again as Zumaya goes on to be a star for the next 15 or so years. Again, the caveat is that if Smoltz leads them to a WS ring (unlikely in my mind with the White Sox and Yanks amongst others standing in their way), then the trade-off might be worth it but he would have to be one of the main reasons they won.

Yep, that would be such a bad trade its not even funny.