Tiger Rumors

rangercal

If some good team ever fell out of contention (say Houston) they could probably make a run at an upper echelon closer.

Hell, couldn't they potentially get Smoltzy back and throw him in the rotation (in the end they'll need another starter cause i think they'll have some growing pains at one spot or another).

If this team makes a big acquisition (in terms of another reliever or a stud closer and than on top of that a starter) than they really become close competition to the Sox as the team to beat in the AL.

The Tigers aren't going to just go away and I'm sick of hearing the argument that they only won so many games last year and didn't really make any changes.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 10:26 AM)
On BBTN(save the speech), they were talking about a Zumaya for Smoltz trade as an idea/rumor.

Interesting. That would certainly be bad news for us. They have an $82.6 million payroll and would have to pick up about $4.5-5 million of Smoltz's contract. Will Illich spend the money?

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
Interesting. That would certainly be bad news for us. They have an $82.6 million payroll and would have to pick up about $4.5-5 million of Smoltz's contract. Will Illich spend the money?

That would be amazing news for the Sox, I'd do f***ing cartwheels of joy if such a trade were to take place. A 21 year old fireballing, dominant, future/current hella stud scares me a whole hell of a lot more than a 39 year old, slightly above average, incredibly expensive pitcher.

To be totally honest, Zumaya would probably put up better numbers in the starting rotation this year than Smoltz would. I really don't see why the Tigers would want to make such a deal.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)

Bad news? I would love for the Tigers to make that trade. I can stand a half a year from a declining John Smoltz if it gets the next 5 years of Zumaya out of the AL. Smoltz is not what he used to be. A move to the AL would show this even more. Sure the Tigers improve for this season, but they lose a lot for the long run. Zumaya is special.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 10:41 AM)
Bad news? I would love for the Tigers to make that trade. I can stand a half a year from a declining John Smoltz if it gets the next 5 years of Zumaya out of the AL. Smoltz is not what he used to be. A move to the AL would show this even more. Sure the Tigers improve for this season, but they lose a lot for the long run. Zumaya is special.

Smoltz is still a very solid pitcher and is going to be better down the stretch than, say, Verlander who hasn't pitched anywhere near 200 innings in a single season.

If I'm Mike Illitch and my team is still on pace to win 108 games at this time next month, I push my GM to make this deal. Even if guys like Verlander, Bonderman, Shelton, and Rodney continue to develop at their current pace, they might not have another season like this for a while. It would be a great move from a PR persepective as well. Remember that this team hasn't had a winning season since 1993. Trading for Smoltz would clearly show the fans that the Tigers are interested in winning NOW.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 10:41 AM)

But here's the other side of the token...if the Tigers do want to get John Smoltz, a guy with more playoff experience than probably their entire roster combined, a world series ring, a long record of pitching both out of the pen and in the rotation, it's going to cost them something along the lines of Zumaya. There's no reason the Braves can't just pencil Smoltz in as their opening day starter next year unless someone makes them an offer good enough.

I'd love to see them trade Zumaya for Smoltz. The only Tiger starter he's out-pitching right now is Bonderman, and that's by .04. His ERA is bound to go up a little in the AL as well. He's still an above average starter, but he's no longer a difference maker. Giving up a young stud like Zumaya for basically 2 years of Smoltz would be pretty dumb.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
:headshake

Another in the long line of reasons why I'm lookin to go.

These types of posts and these types of posters are getting way to common here.

Really, dude, settle down and think before you type.

Don't worry, that crap won't ever be tolerated.

He GAWN

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 02:47 AM)
Wow, too bad that asshole totally ruined this thread. I came here looking for Tiger rumors, and instead walked away with a mouthful of piss and vinegar from this idiot.

mmmm...Piss and Vinegar Potato Chips...My fave.

Oh wait, that should be salt.

This thread can now get back on topic. The said poster was banned and I cleaned all the Bs out of the thread now. So if there are any Tigers rumors feel free to put them in here.

It was a great idea the starter of this thread made because its always nice to know what the team ahead of us in the division is up to.

Bobby Abreu.

I don't really want to think about the Tigers getting him, but it would make the most sense for them to try. As a lefty high OBP outfielder/DH, he is a perfect fit for that team. They need offense, and could probably put together some kind of package that Pat Gillick would almost have to accept, especially if they are willing to take on the rest of his salary (including $15 million next year).

I think the biggest thing that may prevent the trade is Abreu himself. Given his no-trade status, he may want a big incentive to leave Philly. Hopefully it will be too much for the Tigers to pull the trigger.