Tiger Rumors

rangercal

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
There is a quote in the Chic Trib today from Dombrowski that they are NOT working on a deal for Abreu FWIW.

Posturing. I'm sure they approached the Phillies. Maybe even made an offer, but to quote a phrase...where would he play? I doubt he'd want to DH. Do they put him in left? Do they trade one of their young outfielders to make room? I don't know...I doubt they do it.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
I'd love to see them trade Zumaya for Smoltz. The only Tiger starter he's out-pitching right now is Bonderman, and that's by .04. His ERA is bound to go up a little in the AL as well. He's still an above average starter, but he's no longer a difference maker. Giving up a young stud like Zumaya for basically 2 years of Smoltz would be pretty dumb.

i believe smoltz would be a be a great trade for us. He is a declining pitcher who is hurt this year because he has been switching from bullpen to rotation. He will get injured and that would help us indefiently

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
Newark Star Ledger reports that the Angels and Tigers have inquired about Tejeda.

Rumor

Would the Tigers trade away Guillen? It seems sort of foolish, particularly with some of the speculation swirling about Tejada. Could be a big risk for the Tigers.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
Would the Tigers trade away Guillen? It seems sort of foolish, particularly with some of the speculation swirling about Tejada. Could be a big risk for the Tigers.

I believe even the Royals have inquired about Tejada, everyone inquires. im sure we have as well.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)

Tejada > Guillen by a wide margin. I think too many people on soxtalk nitpick about everything. If I signed to a team that told me they were going to do their damn best to compete, then watch as every FA signs elsewhere, I'd be pissed too. Especially when pitching isn't working out at all.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
Posturing. I'm sure they approached the Phillies. Maybe even made an offer, but to quote a phrase...where would he play? I doubt he'd want to DH. Do they put him in left? Do they trade one of their young outfielders to make room? I don't know...I doubt they do it.

To get the deal done, the Tigers might have to promise Abreu that he would play RF. So they'd have to approach Maggs and ask him to move to LF. If I were Detroit, I'd happily give Philly the choice of Monroe or Thames, plus 2-3 pitchers that I don't need this year.

Down the stretch, the Tigers pitching is going to hit a wall just like our starting pitching did in the second half last year. Adding offense would be the best way to try to win some of the games where they surrender a few more runs. And it would help them a lot in the postseason.

The hope for us is that Abreu, even if the Tigers got him, would slump in the second half just like he did last year.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 08:17 AM)
Tejada > Guillen by a wide margin. I think too many people on soxtalk nitpick about everything. If I signed to a team that told me they were going to do their damn best to compete, then watch as every FA signs elsewhere, I'd be pissed too. Especially when pitching isn't working out at all.

By a wide margin?

Tejada - .312 16 54 .366/.513/.879

Guillen - .298 9 44 .380/.491/.871

You factor in that Guillen is probably more valuable to Detroit than Tejada would be to them, along with the fact that Tejada is getting a huge friggin paycheck AND that he has controversy surrounding him almost constantly now with banned substances, and it's not worth it for Detroit.

The only thing Tejada has over Guillen is durability. That's a big factor, but Guillen has been pretty healthy this year, so I don't see them making a move during the season for a shortstop.

Why would we get rid of Guillen? He can play 1B, or DH.

The same thing with Abreu, he would be in left field or DH. Believe me, we're not going to lose sleep about trading away or losing playing time for Craig Monroe, he isn't young, and he isn't very good.

Shelton has also been struggling for the last two months (although he's looked better the last couple of weeks) and I would certainly rather have Tejada or Abreu in the lineup than him.