Ozzie has some words for Mariotti

Kyyle23

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)
Yikes. This thread just got dirty. :ph34r:

I am sorry - but Ozzie is a 41 year old man - not an 8 year old. Yes - this is being blown out of proportion, Ozzie could have used a different term, it does have a different meaning in other counties, etc...

However, just because a microphone is placed in your face or a reporter asks a question does not mean you can just go and speak without thinking. I work in a bank downtown that gets very busy, customers are rude, people are rude, etc. I lose my temper several times a day. But you know what? I am 34 - not 6 and have something called self control. Just because I am upset or someone annoys me, etc. doesn't mean I use four letter words, throw a tantrum or pound my fists because that is something you should have learned about in Kindergarten. Ozzie is a great manager and a great baseball man - but you know what - learn when to SHUT UP when appropriate..it is not funny, it is not cute, it is not excusable unless you are a five year old.

The Sox should discipline him, the news has every right to trash him. If you can say whatever you want without and do what you want - then be prepared to suffer the consequences like an adult. I am not going to defend him just because I love the White Sox and he is their manager when he is wrong.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
Ozzie is not saying anything bad about WNBA or Madonna concerts. Ozzie said that Ozzie attends those things and has plenty of gay/lesbian friends. He's calling Jay a pussy. Reread the Couch article.

Fine. Then what is he saying about WNBA games and Madonna concerts? Is he stereotyping these events? It seems like he is, and to me that is being homophobic.

QUOTE(wallyburger @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
Ozzie's rebuttal

"He also said that he has gay friends, goes to WNBA games, went to the Madonna concert and plans to attend the Gay Games in Chicago."

In the context of his Mariotti's rant, what does this mean?

WNBA players are Lesbians ( I am sure the standard percentage of players are, just like MLB )?

Madonna concerts are attended by predominately Gay fans?????

I don't know how that characterizes Ozzie as anything but gaybashing, in this instance. His response only seems to further muddy the waters. Can't he ever say he Effed up? Maybe Ozzie thinks he has never palyed with or managed a gay player.

Are you serious...???

Here is the exact quote:

"Guillen said that in Venezuela, that word is not a reference to a person's sexuality, but to his courage. He said he was saying that Mariotti is "not man enough to meet me and talk about [things before writing].''

He also said that he has gay friends, goes to WNBA games, went to the Madonna concert and plans to attend the Gay Games in Chicago."

How the hell is that gaybashing???

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
Are you serious...???

Here is the exact quote:

"Guillen said that in Venezuela, that word is not a reference to a person's sexuality, but to his courage. He said he was saying that Mariotti is "not man enough to meet me and talk about [things before writing].''

He also said that he has gay friends, goes to WNBA games, went to the Madonna concert and plans to attend the Gay Games in Chicago."

To me its the equivlent of someone saying another person is racist, and that person saying well I have a black friend.

QUOTE(wallyburger @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
Fine. Then what is he saying about WNBA games and Madonna concerts? Is he stereotyping these events? It seems like he is, and to me that is being homophobic.

Homophobic would be NOT going to events where there is a known homosexual following... no?

QUOTE(wallyburger @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)

Thats FAR from being homophobic

I think you should look up the term and revise your assumption.

:headshake

QUOTE(tony72 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
I am sorry - but Ozzie is a 41 year old man - not an 8 year old. Yes - this is being blown out of proportion, Ozzie could have used a different term, it does have a different meaning in other counties, etc...

However, just because a microphone is placed in your face or a reporter asks a question does not mean you can just go and speak without thinking. I work in a bank downtown that gets very busy, customers are rude, people are rude, etc. I lose my temper several times a day. But you know what? I am 34 - not 6 and have something called self control. Just because I am upset or someone annoys me, etc. doesn't mean I use four letter words, throw a tantrum or pound my fists because that is something you should have learned about in Kindergarten. Ozzie is a great manager and a great baseball man - but you know what - learn when to SHUT UP when appropriate..it is not funny, it is not cute, it is not excusable unless you are a five year old.

The Sox should discipline him, the news has every right to trash him. If you can say whatever you want without and do what you want - then be prepared to suffer the consequences like an adult. I am not going to defend him just because I love the White Sox and he is their manager when he is wrong.

Agree, and Scott stated this:

"Obviously, from an organizational perspective, I don't think in that case that Ozzie was trying to disparage a group,'' said Scott Reifert, the Sox' vice president of communications. "That said, it certainly is a poor word choice. It's insensitive. It's not something we would condone, not something the White Sox would stand for.''

Reifert said they have been "working with'' Guillen on some of the things he says.

Would you like to apologize to homosexuals or to Mariotti?

"To anybody who was insulted or hurt by that comment,'' Reifert said, "as an organization, we'll certainly apologize.''

QUOTE(wallyburger @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
Ozzie's rebuttal

"He also said that he has gay friends, goes to WNBA games, went to the Madonna concert and plans to attend the Gay Games in Chicago."

In the context of his Mariotti's rant, what does this mean?

WNBA players are Lesbians ( I am sure the standard percentage of players are, just like MLB )?

Madonna concerts are attended by predominately Gay fans?????

I don't know how that characterizes Ozzie as anything but gaybashing, in this instance. His response only seems to further muddy the waters. Can't he ever say he Effed up? Maybe Ozzie thinks he has never palyed with or managed a gay player.

By the way thats not a quote from Ozzie its a summation by Couch about part of their conversation. I would like to hear what Ozzie said exactly and within context before throwing hateful terms like "homophobic" at him...wouldn't you?

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
Are you serious...???

Here is the exact quote:

He is lying if he says that is not what it means in Venezuela or South Florida. It is an insult using homosexuality as a derogatory term meant to inflame a situation at the homosexual communities expense. Over 50 % of the South Florida population is Latin and I hear it constantly.

What happens when a non Latin MLB player/ manager uses the term a la John Rocker.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
I wonder what the White Sox think of the flagship station giving Marriotti airtime to bash some more, and try to get people to feel sorry for him.

I agree, i think the Sox Flagship station is a joke, seeing how they honestly spend more time talking cubs baseball then sox. Further more i hate how PC this world has become, its a god damn joke. I also find it appauling how hypoctical they are Mike North, refered to Jae Kuk Ryu, a Korean pitcher for the Cubs, as a 'Chinaman'.

Edited by beautox

QUOTE(wallyburger @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 03:01 PM)
He is lying if he says that is not what it means in Venezuela or South Florida. It is an insult using homosexuality as a derogatory term meant to inflame a situation at the homosexual communities expense. Over 50 % of the South Florida population is Latin and I hear it constantly.

What happens when a non Latin MLB player/ manager uses the term a la John Rocker.

Ya know what, this is a useless argument and I urge this thread to be closed.

QUOTE(tony72 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)

So if you grow up in a culture where a word is used in a certain way, then once you are in america I guess you need to automatically learn to turn it off. It doesnt work that way. People get offended over all sorts of stuff all over the world. Something that is perfectly acceptable in one culture is something that is looked as an insult in another. This country is in a Politically Correct wave right now that basically jumps up and down the minute a phrase or comment is made. OMG he said that word. If you dont agree with the phrase ignore it. And move on. But the holier that though, how dare he say that. I am sure that in the Utopia that we all live in, we have never made a derogatory comment about another person based on a generalization in some manner. As human beings we make stupid comments, we make mistakes, we are far from perfect. But for everyone to be jumping up and down, about how this is the most horrific thing that he could of said needs to check their PC card at the door.

When we hired him, we knew he would mouth off. If you didnt realize this then you werent paying attention. If you wanted someone nice, safe, and sleepy we already had him here. And we wouldnt of won a world series in our generation with the previous manager.

Whatever the term means in Venezuela doesn't apply here. You can smoke dope and eat mushrooms and pay for hookers in Amsterdam. If your caught with that stuff here you can't use it for an excuse. Ozzie was dead wrong. Marriotti is an ass. This is exactly what he wanted. Now Jay, the guy who could never throw a ball or hit one, or make a basket or shoot a puck is now a sports story. If it gets anyone connected to the White Sox in hot water, even better as far as he's concerned. The White Sox should make it a team policy not to comment on anything Marriotti says or writes. His columns and comments speak for themselves. They show he knows nothing about sports.

Slightly off topic

Most homosexuals are not offended by the word "***".

If you call them a homosexual male "***", they say, "Ya, so what?"

If you call a man a "***", he usually laughs it off.

If you call a man a "***" and he gets upset and tries to defend himself, why does he feel the need to prove himself?

This has been brough to you by the men of the square table.

I thing slurs can be actually very hurtful

And I speak from experience. A few years ago, these 19 year old kids came trick-or-treating at my house on Halloween. I refused to give them candy cause they are too old. Then, later that night, someone TPed my house and spray-painted "Bald Asshole" on my front door.

They didn't deserve candy I didn't deserve this: "Bald Asshole?" Thats a hate crime. Bald people are a group... we're a set. I didn't know it was going to be felony-or-treat. What's next trick or bang-bang?

Edited by AbeFroman

I would bet that sports writers, in the course of their daily job, hear a LOT of things from players, coaches and managers that are kind of ... icky. Epithets, names called. Not so much in hate, as in the jock-speak of the locker room, where crudity is the standard order. Worse than the trading floors where I work, even.

So, why aren't sports writers telling us EVERY SINGLE TIME a player, coach or manager uses a vulgar or derogatory term? I want to know! I want only Eagle Scouts to play pro sports, and I want EVERYONE who isn't clean in thought, word and deed OUT OF THE GAME!

Oh, and in the Series last year, the Astros manager called Joe Crede a 5-letter word that is a slang term for female genitalia -- this after Crede barked at a pitcher who hit him. Garner was impugning Crede's masculinity. Well, as a woman, I am hugely offended by that and I want Garner and the Astros to apologize to me and to all women!

(Do I have to green this post?)

This is what Jay gets for starting s*** all of the time.

What is funny is all of these lame organizations, mainly ESPN, defending this douchebag.

No way Ozzie will be suspended.