Mark Teixeira

RME JICO

I just saw him on the ESPN game recaps and realized I have not heard anything about him this year, which is somewhat surprising since he was a possible AL MVP candidate (.301 BA, 43 HR, 144 RBI last year).

Right now he is batting .281, but with only 6 HRs and 39 RBI. That projects to only 16 HRs and 84 RBI for the season, which is not bad but a 27 HR and 60 RBI drop-off in one season is huge.

I read a couple of things about his swing being off, but it is hard to believe that it could affect him that much. Uribe has had a horrible swing for most of the season and he has 7 HRs.

So what do you think? Injury? Just a slump? Swing problems? Other?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 10:22 AM)
If I were on HGH, I don't thikn I"d be that concerned. They can't test for it so as long as you protected those close to you and were very quiet about it you'd probably be alright.

It's a combination of a few things.

1. Rudy J. (batthing coach) not being around while he was out fighting prostate cancer.

2. slow start

3. His swing. If you notice, his doubles production has shot up tremendously. It has to do with the fact that his swing now has a slight 'upswing' versus a 'downswing'. The downswing produces the spin to get the height to get the ball over the wall.

He and Rudy noticed this while watching film and caught it just before the WS series. He has decided to try to take it slow in changing it because he doesn't want to not hit at all. He said he would need to take some time in the cage and slowly make the change so that he isn't constantly thinking of it.

QUOTE(SoxFanInDallas @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 01:02 PM)
It's a combination of a few things.

1. Rudy J. (batthing coach) not being around while he was out fighting prostate cancer.

2. slow start

3. His swing. If you notice, his doubles production has shot up tremendously. It has to do with the fact that his swing now has a slight 'upswing' versus a 'downswing'. The downswing produces the spin to get the height to get the ball over the wall.

He and Rudy noticed this while watching film and caught it just before the WS series. He has decided to try to take it slow in changing it because he doesn't want to not hit at all. He said he would need to take some time in the cage and slowly make the change so that he isn't constantly thinking of it.

If the swing was the only problem, shouldn't he be getting better at some point?

He was batting over .300 in late April with a couple of HRs. It is now late June and he is down to .277 and has yet to homer in June. Yes his doubles are up but not in proportion to how much his HRs are down.

Look at Uribe, he seems to be coming around. 4 HRs in the last 6 games, Teixeira has hit 4 HRs in his last 59 games.

Same goes for Jim Edmonds, a perennial 30HR guy has 7 HRs this year thus far. Both Edmonds and Teixeira have dropped more than 150 pts off of their career OPS for this year.

Well, Edmonds is 36 and has been injured for a good portion of the season, I'm not all that surprised by his lack of production this season.

Tex on the other hand is 26 and has had just about no history of injury, it's suspicious to say the least.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 01:15 AM)
Well, Edmonds is 36 and has been injured for a good portion of the season, I'm not all that surprised by his lack of production this season.

Tex on the other hand is 26 and has had just about no history of injury, it's suspicious to say the least.

Thats true about Edmonds, forgot how old he was. Good catch.

He's causing me major frustration in my fantasy league, let me tell you.

But I think he's too good of a hitter, and he'll turn it around. And he's got favorable factors for that to occur as well.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:11 AM)
If the swing was the only problem, shouldn't he be getting better at some point?

He was batting over .300 in late April with a couple of HRs. It is now late June and he is down to .277 and has yet to homer in June. Yes his doubles are up but not in proportion to how much his HRs are down.

Look at Uribe, he seems to be coming around. 4 HRs in the last 6 games, Teixeira has hit 4 HRs in his last 59 games.

Same goes for Jim Edmonds, a perennial 30HR guy has 7 HRs this year thus far. Both Edmonds and Teixeira have dropped more than 150 pts off of their career OPS for this year.

I'm just going on what the guy has said to the local media. He and Rudy recognize what is causing the problem, but he does not want to just go and try to change everything in one day. His thought is that it will screw him up more and her the team in the short run. He prefers to try to adjust over time and hope that it helps.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
Lowell is another guy whose doubles have gone up and homers decreased in the last few years. Hmm...

Those 380 foot shots are turning into 345 foot shots...hmmm...

:D

edit, the fact that we even bring up steroids (HGH, whatever) shows how f-ed up baseball has become because of your Bonds, Sosas, Palmeiro's, McGwires, Cansecos, etc. I hope the sport can recover so everytime a guy hits below his power averages he isnt accused of taking steroids.

Edited by SoxFan76

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
They all have equal HR totals to Mark Tex but in less than half the ABs, in Gross' case 210 less ABs.

I knew that someone would get the right answer, and I figured Kalapse would be one of the prime suspects.

Well played!

Teix started slow HR wise in his rookie year. He turned it up in June though so at this point he is about 1 month behind. But in his big years he put up 9hr's in some months which could easily put him on pace for 30hrs.

His BA and OBP have been good. Supposedly hes moving to the 4th spot so that might change things.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 11:41 AM)
edit, the fact that we even bring up steroids (HGH, whatever) shows how f-ed up baseball has become because of your Bonds, Sosas, Palmeiro's, McGwires, Cansecos, etc. I hope the sport can recover so everytime a guy hits below his power averages he isnt accused of taking steroids.

I disagree, to a point. Steroids and other performance enhancing drugs have been abused in baseball for a long time now. People have been ignoring the elephant in the living room until now that the all-time home run record could be broken. Especially since the guy not only used steroids, but he's also an asshole.

It really bugs me when people only want to bring up steroids in regard to home runs. Pitchers use them also, and also the borderline players that use them just to elevate themselves from the minor leagues to the majors.

Steroids does not equal HR numbers. Sure, it helps increase guys numbers. How many pitchers and soft-hitting leadoff type guys need to come out as steroid users before people look beyond the bashers. The problem is much bigger than them. pardon the pun.

QUOTE(Big Hurtin @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 11:58 PM)
I disagree, to a point. Steroids and other performance enhancing drugs have been abused in baseball for a long time now. People have been ignoring the elephant in the living room until now that the all-time home run record could be broken. Especially since the guy not only used steroids, but he's also an asshole.

It really bugs me when people only want to bring up steroids in regard to home runs. Pitchers use them also, and also the borderline players that use them just to elevate themselves from the minor leagues to the majors.

Steroids does not equal HR numbers. Sure, it helps increase guys numbers. How many pitchers and soft-hitting leadoff type guys need to come out as steroid users before people look beyond the bashers. The problem is much bigger than them. pardon the pun.

All I'm going to say is that athletes are bigger and better than ever. Coincidence? I don't think so. 20 years ago guys were not this big. And my point is that it's really sad that every power hitter who has a below average year is going to be accused of taking something. What about the guys who are clean? What about the guy who busts his ass in the off season and then has a below average year? (coughAaronRowand 2005cough)

It's not fair to the Rowand's of the MLB. He has a down year offensively, and understand that this is just an example, and then the guy gets accused of being on steroids? That ain't cool. But, it is the unfortunate reality of the situation. Baseball is forever tainted. We are witnessing the steroid era.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)
All I'm going to say is that athletes are bigger and better than ever. Coincidence? I don't think so. 20 years ago guys were not this big. And my point is that it's really sad that every power hitter who has a below average year is going to be accused of taking something. What about the guys who are clean? What about the guy who busts his ass in the off season and then has a below average year? (coughAaronRowand 2005cough)

It's not fair to the Rowand's of the MLB. He has a down year offensively, and understand that this is just an example, and then the guy gets accused of being on steroids? That ain't cool. But, it is the unfortunate reality of the situation. Baseball is forever tainted. We are witnessing the steroid era.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.