Chicago NewsMedia Watch 6/21/06

Hangar18

The SOX are able to gain 5 stories today and try to make a dent in the lead the Cubs continue to have.

Rick Telander today decides to do a puff piece on Marlins' manager Joe Girardi, while Toni Ginetti does a reunion type piece on Tony LaRussa and Jerry Reinsdorf.

Chicago Tribune:

3 cub stories

6 sox stories

Chicago SunTimes:

3 cub stories

5 sox stories

Standings as of Wednesday June 21st, 2006

Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 5th place currently, 4th place in 05 Cubs 613

Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, 2nd place currently, WSChamps in 05 Sox 522

I found Greg Couchs article somewhat interesting, though I cant tell if hes seriously offended at the comments made by Ozzie, or was he the one that continues to ask the lightning rod question "what do you think of Jay Mariotti?". Its almost pointless to talk about Moronotti anymore, but I wonder why some in the Media continue to fuel the flames. Couch also calls for his suspension. Im not so sure about that.

One comment by Couch I found very compelling though today.

"This organization has fought for decades to erase a lower class label"

I guess someone should tell the SOX who cares what the media/people say about you right?

I think the fact that the SOX have been "fighting for decades" shows they arent happy (read: acnowledge)with the perception thats been fueled in this town about them.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)
The SOX are able to gain 5 stories today and try to make a dent in the lead the Cubs continue to have.

Rick Telander today decides to do a puff piece on Marlins' manager Joe Girardi, while Toni Ginetti does a reunion type piece on Tony LaRussa and Jerry Reinsdorf.

Chicago Tribune:

3 cub stories

6 sox stories

Chicago SunTimes:

3 cub stories

5 sox stories

Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 5th place currently, 4th place in 05 Cubs 613

Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, 2nd place currently, WSChamps in 05 Sox 522

And these stories make the Sox look bad and the cubs look good? Which stories make the Sox look bad and drive fans towards the cubs and why?

QUOTE(zach61 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
And these stories make the Sox look bad and the cubs look good? Which stories make the Sox look bad and drive fans towards the cubs and why?

These stories make him look like stereo typical fan who hates a team more then he likes his own. :bang

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
A: I love exposing the media

B: Not as much as I would like

So please tell us which stories made the Sox look bad today. How many of those were there? Why did they make the Sox look bad and why would they drive fans away from the Sox? And are you really exposing the media or are you just obsessed with the trib and times? If it's the media, then please include the rest of the Chicago media and not just 2 papers.

A: I love exposing the media

B: Not as much as I would like

Hangar,

The only thing you're exposing is your complete and total unwillingness to answer legitimate questions about your media, oops I mean Sun Times/Trib story count schtick.

This is not a one sided site Hangar.

This is not WSI, where people just roll their eyes at your daily rants and sit back and say "oh that's just Hangar".

Sorry ... here, you are expected to pony up. You are expected to be able to defend your numbers, your count, your methodology, and your underlying intent.

You've exposed nothing other than you're apparantly too afraid to engage in legitimate debate about letitimate questions.

I'll have more for you in the morning Hangar.

This is not going away, not by a long shot. You will be forced out of your ostrich-in-the-sand act re: your consistent ignoring of questions.

Moderators ... How long before Hangar is either told he needs to answer the questions, or this inaccurate, mislabeled, overwrought and past its shelf life "media watch" is put out to pasture?

So please tell us which stories made the Sox look bad today.

Please answer this question Hangar.

Why did they make the Sox look bad and why would they drive fans away from the Sox?

Please answer this question too Hangar.

And are you really exposing the media or are you just obsessed with the trib and times? If it's the media, then please include the rest of the Chicago media and not just 2 papers.

Also please answer this question Hangar, and I think it's only fair that you address zach61's request.

This is not going away Hangar.

SoxTalk is not a one way street.

Edited by JimH

Chicago Tribune:

3 cub stories

6 sox stories

Chicago SunTimes:

3 cub stories

5 sox stories

Question # 2365 ... Hangar, why do you say the White Sox are media maligned? How can you legitimately say "media" when in fact your sketchy count only covers the Tribune and Sun Times?

Isn't it true Hangar, that there's more Chicago media than the Tribune and Sun Times? If you want to lump all of the media together, you need to show the board why the White Sox are maligned by the media. If you want to say just the Trib and Sun Times, then you need to show the stories which malign the White Sox.

Once again, for the 20th time at least, a simple story count doesn't cut it. When you say Media Maligned, you need to show WHY the stories/TV Reports?Radio Reports malign the White Sox. You have historically stated the "media" steers the population away from the White Sox and towards the Cubs. I and the rest of this site have yet to see your proof.

Please provide the proof that the White Sox are "media maligned". You state it every day, that is every day since you finally acquiesqued to eliminating the "media ignored" phrase from your daily rants. But you are here and now being challenged, by me, to prove why it's an accurate statement to say the White Sox are "media maligned". If you're saying it and putting it out there for this board to see, that means you must have some definitive proof.

You need to share that definitive proof.

Moderators ... I don't believe Hangar will:

- provide proof that the White Sox are "media maligned"

- answer any of these questions whatsoever (he's been on the thread several times, he ignores it)

- will address any of these issues until such time as the moderators make a stand

?????

Chicago Tribune:

3 cub stories

6 sox stories

Chicago SunTimes:

3 cub stories

5 sox stories

Sorry Hangar I come up with a different count.

If you're going to do this I think you should be required to document story titles. Your counting has been repeatedly proven to be iffy. Im beginning to think you just don't know how to count.

Even though this "recount" ends up favoring the Cubs, I think it's worth noting because it shows you are inaccurate with your counting, and therefore this whole mess is just that ... a mess ... a worthless mess at that.

Here are the story titles from the Tribune

Cub Stories:

1. "Wood Unable to Turn Corner"

2. "Ryan Dempster" (Out Loud with Steve Rosenbloom)

3. "Maddux off a little and it costs a lot"

4. "Lee's return gives Cubs a roster dilemna"

I really don't care that an accurate count gives the Cubs one more story. The point is, Hangar either can't count straight, or he's counting at the wrong time of the day (as he alluded to on Tuesday) or there is some other problem.

All I know is, Hangar's numbers have now come into question multiple times.

Therefore, how can anyone believe Hangar's numbers?

What do you say about this Hangar? How can SoxTalk believe anything you say when you:

1. Won't answer legitimate questions

2. Get the story count wrong more often than not

?????