ESPN found a new team to drool over.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Far and away the best team? Actually while the Cards are playing crappy.. it just shows how crappy the NL is.. Cards will still be an NL Contender.. They've already played the Mets very good this year..

And the Mets just lost 2/3 at home to the Orioles and Reds.. with the Reds again tommorow

some team that is too..

Edited by CardsJimEdmonds15

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 09:52 PM)
Far and away the best team in the NL and they happen to play in the largest market in America. Why the hell would they get any sort of news coverage?

LMFAO!

This is a prime example of measuring to see who is the tallest midget.

They are all of a game and a half ahead of the Cardnials even with the beatdown we've been laying on them and, as JimEdmonds pointed out they lost series to both the Orioles and Reds.

They blow ass just like the rest of em.

I don't know about that, if we were to face the marlins right now sans Moheler and Willis, i'd be worried, those kids got nothing to prove and they're playing amazing baseball, they swept the blue jays.

Yes, the NL is incredibly weak. I never said it had to make any sense, the Mets play in an incredibly large market and are the best team in their league, they're going to get a s*** load of play on ESPN.

I like the Cards and all but there's just something about them that is always so disturbing to me, I look up and down their roster and wonder how the hell they're as good as they are, I don't really see that lineup or pitching staff as being overly dominant yet they find ways to win. I think that's more of an indication of just how good they play as a team. IMO, the Mets are the toast of a very pathetic league, even with a pretty weak backend of the rotation.

We could play the Mets at Shea with Freddy, Garland, and Haeger pitching and I'd be pissed if we didn't win 2 of 3. The NL is a f***ing pathetic ass joke, no team in that league deserves any respect, and this trend will only get worse in coming years until they man up and allow the DH. Until then, every AL team will continue to work harder to get pitching (due to 9 men lineups) and every AL team will have 1 more good hitter.

Tom Glavine is their #2 starter. He's got a great resume, but he's simply not that good anymore. If he's not getting the old 6-inches outside he's toast just like Maddux. They're not a real threat in the long run unless they add a front of the rotation starter.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
Tom Glavine is their #2 starter. He's got a great resume, but he's simply not that good anymore. If he's not getting the old 6-inches outside he's toast just like Maddux. They're not a real threat in the long run unless they add a front of the rotation starter.

Which team is a threat then? I'm not talking about in the WS, just to get there.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
Which team is a threat then? I'm not talking about in the WS, just to get there.

Right now if you look at straight up records its the Cards and Mets but then there's Houston who always makes their move at the end of the season. Its hard to say really.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
I would say a healthy Cards (if they ever can get healthy) would be the threat, but after seeing 2 of their 3 "best starters", I have to rescind that thought, even with them in the NL.

That's what I'm saying, their starting rotation is nothing special and their lineup is no where near that of the Mets. The only teams worth a damn in the NL would be the Mets and Cards and IMO the Mets are the stronger of the two.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 11:03 PM)
That's what I'm saying, their starting rotation is nothing special and their lineup is no where near that of the Mets. The only teams worth a damn in the NL would be the Mets and Cards and IMO the Mets are the stronger of the two.

Yep. The NL now is the like the early post-Jordan era NBA Eastern Conference in terms of how bad it is. And like the Western Conference Finals in those days, the ALCS will be the real World Championship Series this year.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 11:03 PM)

And I'd be 80% certain right now if these two teams met the Cards would come out on top.. That's just me already seeing the Cards beat the Mets this year.. Mets didnt look like anything special when we played em (except when Glavine had a good game).. hell Mulder had 8.1 shutout innings against em.. Izzy came in with the bases loaded in a 1-0 game with 1 out to get out Floyd and Wright..

And Houston aint all that either.. neither is Cincy.. the NL West wont be a threat either despite all those teams being decent this year..

It still should come down to the Cards and Mets.. but again it's sorta early so if the Astros improve and make a run at the Wild Card..

I would not be surprised to see an NLCS of Houston/St. Louis for the 3rd straight year.. but I think it'll be the Cards and Mets.. Met's may look like the favorite but I'd take our chances..

But again that's just me having faith in my team again.. :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(CardsJimEdmonds15 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 11:57 PM)
And I'd be 80% certain right now if these two teams met the Cards would come out on top..

Ditto. Completely agree. I've said it before numerous times and i'll say it again. The Mets are the most overrated team in the NL, possibly in all of baseball.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 10:11 PM)
Yes, the NL is incredibly weak. I never said it had to make any sense,

IMO, the Mets are the toast of a very pathetic league, even with a pretty weak backend of the rotation.

Your initial post to his post came off a bit abrasive. I agree, the Mets are phony

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 10:19 AM)
At Tuesday's game, they had a stat on the board that said the Cardinals are 11-2 against the NL East this year.

It's true..

3-0 vs Phillies

3-0 vs Marlins

3-1 vs Nationals

2-1 vs Mets

Doesnt mean much but we're a decent team if we arent playing against our own crappy division (I guess the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th records go real far from a bad division in a crappy league).. we're less than .500 in own division games this year.. :huh

Check out the whole NL really

Best Records:

NYM: 44-27 (NL East, 1st)

STL: 42-28 (NL Central, 1st)

CIN: 39-33 (NL Central, 2nd; Wild Card, 1st)

SDG: 38-33 (NL West, 1st)

HOU: 37-35 (NL Central, 3rd; Wild Card, 2nd)

LAD: 36-35 (NL West, 2nd; Wild Card, 3rd)

ARI: 36-36 (NL West, 3rd; Wild Card, 4th)

COL: 36-36 (NL West, 3rd; Wild Card, 4th)

SFG: 36-36 (NL West, 3rd; Wild Card, 4th)

MIL: 36-37 (NL Central, 4th; Wild Card, 7th)

PHI: 35-37 (NL East, 2nd; Wild Card, 8th)

Yea.. :puke

And the Reds are winning 2-0 over Pedro and the Mets.. about to drop 3 of 4 to the Reds.. Wow I guess Ican see why the Cards are like 18-19 vs the NL Central.. :lolhitting

Edit - Ok maybe the Mets wont lose 3/4 to the Reds.. they just exploded..

I dont care what people say, the Mets are good and the White Sox or any team from the AL should not take the NL lightly.

Reyes, Beltran, Delgado, Wright is a hell of a line up considering they do not have a DH. And unlike most NL teams who suffer when it comes time to play with a DH, the Mets have guys like Milledge, etc who are just looking for a place to play.

True the Mets pitching is not that great, but their offense has the tools to win any game. And in a 7 game series with Pedro going atleast 2 times, that is only 2 other games that they need to win.

Its one thing to be confident, its another to be arrogant.

And Reyes just went for the cycle last night, imagine Pods being able to do that.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
I dont care what people say, the Mets are good and the White Sox or any team from the AL should not take the NL lightly.

Reyes, Beltran, Delgado, Wright is a hell of a line up considering they do not have a DH. And unlike most NL teams who suffer when it comes time to play with a DH, the Mets have guys like Milledge, etc who are just looking for a place to play.

True the Mets pitching is not that great, but their offense has the tools to win any game. And in a 7 game series with Pedro going atleast 2 times, that is only 2 other games that they need to win.

And Reyes just went for the cycle last night, imagine Pods being able to do that.

That's assuming that Pedro wins both of his starts (or two of the three), which is far from a guarantee at this point in his career. He's a toss-up at best with Contreras or Mark, and the other one gives us an edge over Glavine. The Mets have no chance against us with Trachsel or whatever other crap they throw out there on the mound.

I really don't see them as a major threat unless they add another legit starter. You're going to have a tough time winning a 7 game series with Glavine and Trachsel starting twice each. Their lineup can probably get them one with those two going, but I wouldn't count on it past that unless Glavine gets his old Braves strike zone.

I'm not saying that we're totally beyond competition, but I see us as a pretty solid team that can take on all comers. There are a few teams that I think have a chance at beating us (Red Sox, A's, Cardinals, and Astros, all of which need to get healthy and get their s*** together), but only the Tigers really seem to be a major threat right now.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)

Yeah. He hit for the cycle and they lost. ( made a real difference I see ). :lolhitting

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
That's assuming that Pedro wins both of his starts (or two of the three), which is far from a guarantee at this point in his career. He's a toss-up at best with Contreras or Mark, and the other one gives us an edge over Glavine. The Mets have no chance against us with Trachsel or whatever other crap they throw out there on the mound.

Thats assuming a lineup like ours doesn't take him to the woodshed and spank him until his behind turns bright red. Right now there is no pitching staff who can shut this offense down in a 7 game series. Not one.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 06:17 PM)
Yeah. He hit for the cycle and they lost. ( made a real difference I see ). :lolhitting

Thats assuming a lineup like ours doesn't take him to the woodshed and spank him until his behind turns bright red. Right now there is no pitching staff who can shut this offense down in a 7 game series. Not one.

2 Johan santanas could....

and Liriano might be the second one :huh: