ESPN found a new team to drool over.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell? The Mets have the best record in the NL. Why are people just randomly making things up? Are you that insecure? The combination of hyperbole, ignorance and lack of direction in this thread is on the brink of making my head explode.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 11:20 PM)
What the hell? The Mets have the best record in the NL. Why are people just randomly making things up? Are you that insecure? The combination of hyperbole, ignorance and lack of direction in this thread is on the brink of making my head explode.

Examples of hyperbole and ignorance please? Yeah we got a little off topic but I dont see the other stuff here.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
I dont care what people say, the Mets are good and the White Sox or any team from the AL should not take the NL lightly.

Reyes, Beltran, Delgado, Wright is a hell of a line up considering they do not have a DH. And unlike most NL teams who suffer when it comes time to play with a DH, the Mets have guys like Milledge, etc who are just looking for a place to play.

True the Mets pitching is not that great, but their offense has the tools to win any game. And in a 7 game series with Pedro going atleast 2 times, that is only 2 other games that they need to win.

Its one thing to be confident, its another to be arrogant.

And Reyes just went for the cycle last night, imagine Pods being able to do that.

The season might have just started when i said this... but i believe i mentioned it to 3e8 that the mets had one of the most impressive teams in the leauge and that they would face off with the sox in the world series this year. At the time he thought it was bold... but i also believe wite really liked them too. One of the reasons i still really like the mets is because the bullpen has been amazing... i thought they had a good mix, but they are proving to do even better than i expected... other than heilman having a bad month. Teams with strong bullpens exceed and usually advance further on over teams with the s*** bullpens. Hopefully they can continue all the success out of the fourth and fifth spot in the rotation ( someone new every other start it seems) because if they do i think they can make some noise come playoff time. I am sure someone is gonna say i undervalue the strength of a rotation... but a bullpen is just as important if not more so. When you have s***ty bullpens that blow games left and right it ends up rattling the starters... making the believe they have to do more than they should/have to... and it leads to mistakes.

Btw, how about the mets drafting both heilman and wright in back to back picks in 2001 and having them produce for them?

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 01:45 AM)
Examples of hyperbole and ignorance please? Yeah we got a little off topic but I dont see the other stuff here.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
They blow ass just like the rest of em.

Hyperbole.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 11:38 PM)
We could play the Mets at Shea with Freddy, Garland, and Haeger pitching and I'd be pissed if we didn't win 2 of 3. The NL is a f***ing pathetic ass joke, no team in that league deserves any respect, and this trend will only get worse in coming years until they man up and allow the DH. Until then, every AL team will continue to work harder to get pitching (due to 9 men lineups) and every AL team will have 1 more good hitter.

Hyperbole AND ignorance.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 11:48 PM)
Tom Glavine is their #2 starter. He's got a great resume, but he's simply not that good anymore. If he's not getting the old 6-inches outside he's toast just like Maddux. They're not a real threat in the long run unless they add a front of the rotation starter.

Ignorance - 10-2, 3.48 ERA 1.22 WHIP

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 02:04 AM)
Ditto. Completely agree. I've said it before numerous times and i'll say it again. The Mets are the most overrated team in the NL, possibly in all of baseball.

Hyperbole.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)
Hard to say. Both are pretty much non-factors in whats going on in MLB this season.

Ignorance or hyperbole, I can't really decide.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 11:57 PM)
Pedro's a shell of himself... remember the tough pitching of the Astros we were up against last World Series?

Ignorance - 7-3, 3.01 ERA .94 WHIP

QUOTE(CardsJimEdmonds15 @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 12:35 AM)
They do.. doesnt mean they are the best in the NL.. Regular season means s***.. the Cards would know!

Hyperbole and ignorance. Regular season means s***? Ok, then why bother watching at all. The regular season is more important in baseball than in any other sport. After the season's over and your team has lost then you can make the claim that it meant nothing, but if you make the playoffs by one game or you get home-field in a series you can't say it means s***.

Edited by Spiff

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
Pedro is a shell of himself. Tell me he'd be doing this in the AL.

I don't live in imaginary land, so I can't relay any updates as to Pedro's current performance in the American League.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)
Pedro is a shell of himself. Tell me he'd be doing this in the AL.

I stand by my comments in this thread in regards to the Mets, even if they are arrogant.....however this is just silly. Pedro's raw stuff isn't as good as it used to be, but he's a great PITCHER, and still has NASTY offspeed stuff, so he's been damn good (as good as ever) this year (although his record isn't as good as it should be due to lack of run support).

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 08:00 AM)
Hyperbole and ignorance. Regular season means s***? Ok, then why bother watching at all. The regular season is more important in baseball than in any other sport. After the season's over and your team has lost then you can make the claim that it meant nothing, but if you make the playoffs by one game or you get home-field in a series you can't say it means s***.

Winning 100 games in the regular season means NOTHING if you dont show up to play in the playoffs.. or if you take it easy in September and fall apart because you play no meaningless game.. it doesnt mean a whole lot.. that's why I'm hoping the Central actually goes down to the last week for the Cards.. I want my team showing up in the playoffs.. but it does mean something.. just not when you when you win your division by like 20 games the last couple years.. that was my point!

Edited by CardsJimEdmonds15

QUOTE(CardsJimEdmonds15 @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 11:19 AM)
Winning 100 games in the regular season means NOTHING if you dont show up to play in the playoffs.. or if you take it easy in September and fall apart because you play no meaningless game.. it doesnt mean a whole lot.. that's why I'm hoping the Central actually goes down to the last week for the Cards.. I want my team showing up in the playoffs.. but it does mean something.. just not when you when you win your division by like 20 games the last couple years.. that was my point!

Damned right.....or as the '96 Bulls said "72-10 don't mean a thing without the ring". The regular season is the most important in baseball in all of sports, but at the same time, you can win 117 games like the Mariners did in 2001, but if you lose in the playoffs like they did, it means nothing.

Ignorance - 10-2, 3.48 ERA 1.22 WHIP

Those numbers aren't that great in the NL in a pitcher's park. Just because his numbers are good doesn't mean that he can cut it against better lineups and good opposing pitchers in the playoffs. There are plenty of rather mediocre pitchers that are still putting up good numbers in the NL.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
Lets not forget that the Mets play in a weak division where their nearest competitor is barely at .500.

You can say that for every division leader in the NL, if you combine the records of all non-first place teams in the NL who are currently above .500 you get a record 8 games over the break even mark, the division they're in has nothing to do with it.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
You can say that for every division leader in the NL, if you combine the records of all non-first place teams in the NL who are currently above .500 you get a record 8 games over the break even mark, the division they're in has nothing to do with it.

Lets expand that then. The whole NL is weak and they, for the time being, happen to be the tallest midget of the bunch.

Does that work for ya?

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
Lets expand that then. The whole NL is weak and they, for the time being, happen to be the tallest midget of the bunch.

Does that work for ya?

You made a completely ignorant statement and I corrected you, I'm not sure what the problem is.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 10:57 PM)
Pedro's a shell of himself... remember the tough pitching of the Astros we were up against last World Series?

Pedro has pitched WAY better than his record shows.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
You made a completely ignorant statement and I corrected you, I'm not sure what the problem is.

The problem is that they indeed DO play in a weak division. They play weak teams ........ they get wins. Im not saying that the Mets are not a good team but they are not nearly as good as ESPN and their cronies are making them out to be. You can call my statement ignorant if you want to but a look at the standings makes it an accurate one.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
The problem is that they indeed DO play in a weak division. They play weak teams ........ they get wins. Im not saying that the Mets are not a good team but they are not nearly as good as ESPN and their cronies are making them out to be. You can call my statement ignorant if you want to but a look at the standings makes it an accurate one.

Actually that's what makes it an inaccurate one. You specifically called out the NL East saying; "the Mets play in a weak division where their nearest competitor is barely at .500" at this currently point in the season we can only compare teams and divisions to their competition within thier own league, the NL East is no weaker than the NL Central or West.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
Actually that's what makes it an inaccurate one. You specifically called out the NL East saying; "the Mets play in a weak division where their nearest competitor is barely at .500" at this currently point in the season we can only compare teams and divisions to their competition within thier own league, the NL East is no weaker than the NL Central or West.

Just because the other divisions are also weak doesn't make the NL East any less weak now does it?

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
Just because the other divisions are also weak doesn't make the NL East any less weak now does it?

Like I said, we can only really compare teams to the others within their own league and since the NL East is about equal to if not better than the other divisions in the National League, it's not fair to say the Mets are feasting off a weak division.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
Like I said, we can only really compare teams to the others within their own league and since the NL East is about equal to if not better than the other divisions in the National League, it's not fair to say the Mets are feasting off a weak division.

Both of us are now splitting hairs about how weak the NL East is. Like I said in an earlier post the whole NL is weak this season and thats because the talent level is nowhere near that of the AL. The real crux of my argument all this time is that the Mets, while they have a good record and are on top of their division, simply can't hang with the big dogs in the AL and as such dont belong, IMHO, anywhere in the top 5 of any MLB wide power rankings.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
Both of us are now splitting hairs about how weak the NL East is. Like I said in an earlier post the whole NL is weak this season and thats because the talent level is nowhere near that of the AL. The real crux of my argument all this time is that the Mets, while they have a good record and are on top of their division, simply can't hang with the big dogs in the AL and as such dont belong, IMHO, anywhere in the top 5 of any MLB wide power rankings.

I was ony addressing one specific post of yours, not your overall argument.