ESPN found a new team to drool over.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

ok i know the NL is weak, thats a given, but to write off the mets as just playing well against weak opponents is just foolish. their squad is incredible.

David Wright? MVP candidate this year

Jose Reyes? Best (or will be soon) leadoff hitter in the NL, probably the game

Delgado?

Beltran?

Lo Duca?

Nady? (out of nowhere)

Lastings Milledge?

their lineup is one of the best in baseball, probably even better than ours. this team is set to hit the world series this year AND for years to come.

Wright is 23

Reyes is 23

Milledge is 21

its pretty ridiculous... you guys can have your opinions now, but come postseason, i expect the mets to do really well - in fact, probably a mets v. sox world series. which wont be as easy as last year i can promise you that.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
ok i know the NL is weak, thats a given, but to write off the mets as just playing well against weak opponents is just foolish. their squad is incredible.

David Wright? MVP candidate this year

Jose Reyes? Best (or will be soon) leadoff hitter in the NL, probably the game

Delgado?

Beltran?

Lo Duca?

Nady? (out of nowhere)

Lastings Milledge?

their lineup is one of the best in baseball, probably even better than ours. this team is set to hit the world series this year AND for years to come.

Wright is 23

Reyes is 23

Milledge is 21

its pretty ridiculous... you guys can have your opinions now, but come postseason, i expect the mets to do really well - in fact, probably a mets v. sox world series. which wont be as easy as last year i can promise you that.

I would call 6 of their players pretty good: Wright, Reyes, Delgado, Beltran, Martinez, and Wagner. I'm not impressed at all with the rest of the roster. Their offense is not even close to better than ours. They don't have the depth that we do, and even their better guys aren't producing as well as the middle of our order. Our starting rotation is considerably better as well.

As for Reyes, he is not the best leadoff man in baseball, or even close. Even in a career year so far his OBP is only about .350. His career total in that area is .314. :puke He has no discipline whatsoever, which is generally a crucial factor for a leadoff man.

LoDuca isn't anything special. He's an okay contact hitter, but he doesn't walk and has little power. Milledge has talent, but he's only a rookie. Pardon me for not being all that impressed with a .257 average and a .300 OBP.

They're an okay team, but they're not even close to as good as the Sox or Tigers. I'd expect several other teams to end up better than them too as teams get healthy and/or hit their stride.

Reyes: .300 BA, 67 R, 8 HR, 36 RBI, 34 SB, .855 (!) OPS

are you insane? for a leadoff man! how can you say he's not one of the best in baseball?

Wright: .336 BA, 50 R, 18 HR, 64 RBI, 11 SB, 1.015 OPS, he's just PRETTY good?

Beltran: .286 BA, 55 R, 20 HR, 59 RBI, 12 SB, 1.007 OPS

Delgado: .265 BA, 45 R, 20 HR, 54 RBI, .870 OPS - he's the only one of the stars of this team not RAKING, but he's still doing well

Lo Duca is batting .280 with 18 Doubles, 22 RBIs and a .321 OBP, not bad for a catcher - his numbers aside from BA are on par w/ AJ

Floyd is another masher, he's just hurt right now. 36 Homers last year if you recall.

Nady's having a decent - middle of the road season

Milledge is a rookie, played in 21 games, and has 3 doubles, 2 triples and 3 homers with 12 ribbies. nothing ridiculous, but it shows you that the guy has speed and power and lemme tell ya, he's gonna be damn good. he's only 21.

those pieces of the lineup, combined with Pedro (7-3, 3.01 ERA, 110 K, 26 BB) Glavine (11-2, 3.33, 75 K, 30 BB) Soler (3.32 era in 6 starts) Bannister (when healthy again, 2.89 ERA in 5 starts), and Trachsel and el Duque... granted they really do need another starting pitcher, but if they add that, they're as good as anyone.

their bullpen usually rakes. Wagner - nuffsed. Heilman, Bradford, Bell, Sanchez, Oliver. All of those with the exception of Heilman are UNDER 3 ERA!

i'm just sayin that no one should be discounting the mets at this point.

EDIT: oh and by the way, Valentin has 7 homers and a .292 BA for the Mets this year... in 150ish at bats... lol

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
Reyes: .300 BA, 67 R, 8 HR, 36 RBI, 33 SB, .855 (!) OPS

are you insane? for a leadoff man! how can you say he's not one of the best in baseball?

Delgado: .265 BA, 45 R, 20 HR, 54 RBI, .870 OPS - he's the only one of the stars of this team not RAKING, but he's still doing well

Lo Duca is batting .280 with 18 Doubles, 22 RBIs and a .321 OBP, not bad for a catcher - his numbers aside from BA are on par w/ AJ

Floyd is another masher, he's just hurt right now. 36 Homers last year if you recall.

Milledge is a rookie, played in 21 games, and has 3 doubles, 2 triples and 3 homers with 12 ribbies. nothing ridiculous, but it shows you that the guy has speed and power and lemme tell ya, he's gonna be damn good. he's only 21.

those pieces of the lineup, combined with Pedro (7-3, 3.01 ERA, 110 K, 26 BB) Glavine (11-2, 3.33, 75 K, 30 BB) Soler (3.32 era in 6 starts) Bannister (when healthy again, 2.89 ERA in 5 starts), and Trachsel and el Duque... granted they really do need another starting pitcher, but if they add that, they're as good as anyone.

their bullpen usually rakes. Wagner - nuffsed. Heilman, Bradford, Bell, Sanchez, Oliver. All of those with the exception of Heilman are UNDER 3 ERA!

I just said why Reyes doesn't impress me all that much. His OBP is only .354 right now despite his high average, and it has been a serious issue in the past. He ranks 79th among qualifying players right now, and that's a high total for him. Slugging isn't all that important for a leadoff man. I'd much rather have Ichiro, Sizemore, Jeter, or Damon as my leadoff man right now. Michael Young and Curtis Granderson are two others that are as good or better. If he keeps his walks up in the long run that'll help him become more consistent, but I have my doubts. He's just not consistent enough and hasn't gotten on base frequently enough to be one of the top couple of guys, although so far this year he's taking a step in the right direction. He was hitting about .245 two weeks ago and has been on fire as of late to rack up those numbers.

Nady's been out for a while. He's pretty medicore, just happend to have a hot start with his power. Milledge just isn't going to be that big a factor this year, although he has a lot of talent. Floyd is old and injury prone. He can hit a little when he's healthy, but last year was a bit of a fluke. He hasn't been that healthy and produced that well in a while. LoDuca hasn't slugged over .715 in a while. He's an okay contact hitter, but not much else, and he's rather mediocre defensively. Soler and Bannister are massive question marks, that's just not enough evidence to say that they are good. Trachsel and El Duque suck, and two of that group are going to have to make starts in the playoffs. I also don't expect their bullpen to hold up that well in the long run. Darren Oliver is a bum that is pitching well right now, and Feliciano and Bell are nothing special (1.76 WHIP for the latter :puke ).

If they get another legit starter, they're a threat to go somewhere. Otherwise I don't see them getting past the NLCS. Their lineup looks like it's good enough to get them there, but their starting pitchers are really going to have to step up.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
Reyes: .300 BA, 67 R, 8 HR, 36 RBI, 34 SB, .855 (!) OPS

EDIT: oh and by the way, Valentin has 7 homers and a .292 BA for the Mets this year... in 150ish at bats... lol

Does numbers mean crap playoff time. It's what you do when the time comes... ask Beltran and another New Yorker known as A-Rod. We'll find out once the playoffs start.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
Does numbers mean crap playoff time. It's what you do when the time comes... ask Beltran and another New Yorker known as A-Rod. We'll find out once the playoffs start.

So in your opinion Carlos Beltran is bad in the playoffs? Or are you saying he contrasts A-Rod?