Knicks fire Brown

Per ESPN

The New York Knicks fired coach Larry Brown on Thursday, replacing him as coach with president and general manager Isiah Thomas.

The Knicks finished 23-59 in Brown's first and only season at the helm.

"Larry has had a long and storied career. We hired him last summer with the expectation that he would be with the Knicks for a long time. Sometimes decisions work and sometimes they don't," MSG Chairman James L. Dolan said. "After careful consideration, despite the best intentions from everyone involved, this current structure did not work for us last season and I did not think it was going to improve next season."

Thomas, who joined the Knicks as president and general manager on Dec. 22, 2003, previously served as a head coach with the Indiana Pacers for three seasons from 2000-01 through 2002-03. His Pacers teams were 131-115 record, making the playoffs in each of his three seasons.

"No one in our organization is happy with last season and we all accept responsibility for our performance," Thomas said. "This has been a difficult time for the entire organization and our fans. Today begins the 2006-07 season for the Knicks, and I strongly believe we are on the right track to take major steps in our rebuilding process to achieve our goal of being one of the premier teams in the NBA."

Isiah Thomas is a f***ing idiot. Firing Brown because you give him a s***ty overpaid team.

I cant wait to watch Isiah do worse than Brown.

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
helllllllllllo greg oden welcome to the bulls

What in 3 years??

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 08:15 AM)
No, when he goes into the draft next year, if the knicks are in last, we get their pick again. And Oden.

Assuming the balls fall our way. In fact, the Knicks don't even have to finish last...it's actually pretty rare that the worst team gets the #1 pick.

Anywho...YAY!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 10:26 AM)
Assuming the balls fall our way. In fact, the Knicks don't even have to finish last...it's actually pretty rare that the worst team gets the #1 pick.

Anywho...YAY!

That wasn't the case when Cleveland threw the season to get Lebron. :lol:

I think some people are underestimating Isiah. I see them as a better team with Isiah. About 10 wins better. Now I'm not saying Isiah is a better coach, but he'll be better for that team.

1)Brown had a bunch of players he didn't like and tried to mold them. The players just couldn't play his style of ball or didn't want to at all. Isiah won't try to mold them. He'll let them do whatever they please on offense and not ask for much on defense.

2)Isiah will find a 8 man rotation and stick with it the whole way through. Brown would have different lineups everyday.

3)Isiah actually did decent in Indiana. He finished over .500 ever year he was there and he developed Jermaine O'Neal, Jamaal Tinsley(though he's oft injured) and Ron Artest(though he's crazy).

I predict at least 30 wins for them. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm sure we're more likely to end up with a pick around 8 next year instead of 1.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
This helped me get through the world cup game. US was down 1-0 and I saw the breaking news update and fell off the couch laughing.

Ditto. I can just imagine what Isiah was thinking. "Larry Brown isn't doing it right. I know how to coach the team I put together. I won 5 straight titles in my franchise on NBA Live 06."

Seriously he has a video game lineup. Francis and Marbury?!

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
I think some people are underestimating Isiah. I see them as a better team with Isiah. About 10 wins better. Now I'm not saying Isiah is a better coach, but he'll be better for that team.

1)Brown had a bunch of players he didn't like and tried to mold them. The players just couldn't play his style of ball or didn't want to at all. Isiah won't try to mold them. He'll let them do whatever they please on offense and not ask for much on defense.

Good point. You need to play defense to be a championship team. But a team that heaves up shot after shot and has zero defense will win a few games. Since that's the only thing this team can do, they may actually improve by abandoning any pretense of playing good defense. They'll still suck badly, but they may outshoot enough people to improve their win total.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 10:15 AM)
No, when he goes into the draft next year, if the knicks are in last, we get their pick again. And Oden.

I would be willing to make a sizable wager that Oden stays at OSU longer than one year.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
I would be willing to make a sizable wager that Oden stays at OSU longer than one year.

Of course you would, you're an OSU fan. Oden isn't staying past one year, it's basically a fact.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 08:43 PM)
Of course you would, you're an OSU fan. Oden isn't staying past one year, it's basically a fact.

Depends how sizeable that wager is. Make him a $50 million bet, then he can convince Oden to stay another year by splitting the winnings with him. :)

Naw, he's gone.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 07:43 PM)

It has nothing to do with me being an OSU fan. ODEN WILL PLAY MORE THAN ONE YEAR AT OHIO STATE! Keep dreaming if you think he is gone after one year.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 09:24 PM)
It has nothing to do with me being an OSU fan. ODEN WILL PLAY MORE THAN ONE YEAR AT OHIO STATE! Keep dreaming if you think he is gone after one year.

That's a lie. And if you think Oden is going to turn down being the #1 overall pick and all that money to go back to school, that's awfully cute, but it's even more wrong.