Suspensions handed out

valponick

They're lumping in a punishment for Ozzie saying "***." They can't do anything to him about that because of the first amendment, but they can smack him down with his suspension for a previous problem.

The fact that he's getting two games is a direct result of him calling Moronotti a "***."

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)
The 3 games for Riske should be nothing. Off days count, right? That's pretty good.

No. Off days aren't games. :lolhitting

QUOTE(Contreras @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 10:26 AM)
They're lumping in a punishment for Ozzie saying "***." They can't do anything to him about that because of the first amendment, but they can smack him down with his suspension for a previous problem.

The fact that he's getting two games is a direct result of him calling Moronotti a "***."

No, he'll get additional games for his Moronotti comments. I'm thinking that Selig will give him 5 days and a $10,000 fine, which an arbitrator will probably knock down somewhat.

QUOTE(Contreras @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:26 PM)

As for the first part of your post, 2 games is the norm for this situation.

They suspend players for days not games.

Do they? I thought it was games. ??

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)

Maybe by appealing, he can time the 3 days to be over the ASB?

(not sure if this should be in green)

Yet nothing for the team that instigates it with the 2 HBP. :huh:

Anderson getting hit, I understand. It sent a message that even with the drubbing the Cards received, they were going to put up a fight.

Ozuna getting nailed was just an accident, a poorly timed accident.

But this "Your players get hit yet you can't respond!" crap is infuriating. Selig should just go back to ruining the Brewers instead of doing it to all of baseball. This 'warning' system is fatally flawed and the reasons it is in place is because Selig is an idiot, but too many major leaguers now have no fear of the pitch inside. If they get hit with a breaking ball on the ass, they're ready to charge the mound. Hell, Kendall charged the mound and he didn't even get hit.

With so many moronic hotheads with million dollar bodies and nickel brains out there, ready to throw down at the hit of a 53 mph eephus pitch to the ass, Selig had to do something and came up with this terrible way of trying to manage games without fights/brawls. Let the game go back to the way it was originally played and let them police themselves.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:27 PM)
Totally to be expected, absolutely nothing surprising here. There is a precedent and this certainly follows it.

Can I ask what the precedent is, kalapse? I just seem to recall most of these suspensions being only a game.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)
Can I ask what the precedent is, kalapse? I just seem to recall most of these suspensions being only a game.

I remember 2 game suspensions for managers after batters were hit with both teams being warned. Of course I have been wrong about these things before, I'll try to look a few of them up and see what has been dealt out in the past.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
I'm sure glad we were "real men" and countered in the beanball war, unlike last week. Sure we have a pitcher and our manager suspended for a couple games, but at least we followed baseball code and have our pride.

The psychology of the matter might actually be that. Neither of the suspensions will cripple the team's ability to perform, and might even energize the club. I'm just saying.

So Ozzie is out for tonight's and tomorrow night's games, and back on Saturday? Cool-- I have tickets for Saturday, Ozzie should get a nice hand from the fans, which I will enjoy and join in.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
I'm sure glad we were "real men" and countered in the beanball war, unlike last week. Sure we have a pitcher and our manager suspended for a couple games, but at least we followed baseball code and have our pride.

Dam straight!! Why you gotta be a ***!!!

Precedent? Hmmm:

Astros Manager Suspended For One Game

( Air Date: 5/22/2006 )

The Houston Astros are in Washington to face the Nationals Monday night, but they`ll do it without manager Phil Garner.

Garner is serving a one game suspension handed down after the May 16th game with the San Francisco Giants when he and pitcher Russ Springer had been warned about intentionally throwing multiple pitches at Barry Bonds in the top of the fifth inning.

+++++++++

New York Yankees pitcher Randy Johnson was suspended five games by the commissioner’s office yesterday for intentionally throwing at Cleveland’s Eduardo Perez on Wednesday night.

Johnson is expected to appeal the penalty, allowing him to make his next scheduled start Monday in Philadelphia.

New York manager Joe Torre was suspended for one game.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:27 PM)
No, he'll get additional games for his Moronotti comments. I'm thinking that Selig will give him 5 days and a $10,000 fine, which an arbitrator will probably knock down somewhat.

What? Bud Selig will not FINE Ozzie for his blown-way-out-of-proportion comments. He was asked about a writer who wasnt even there.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
Precedent? Hmmm:

Astros Manager Suspended For One Game

( Air Date: 5/22/2006 )

The Houston Astros are in Washington to face the Nationals Monday night, but they`ll do it without manager Phil Garner.

Garner is serving a one game suspension handed down after the May 16th game with the San Francisco Giants when he and pitcher Russ Springer had been warned about intentionally throwing multiple pitches at Barry Bonds in the top of the fifth inning.

+++++++++

New York Yankees pitcher Randy Johnson was suspended five games by the commissioner’s office yesterday for intentionally throwing at Cleveland’s Eduardo Perez on Wednesday night.

Johnson is expected to appeal the penalty, allowing him to make his next scheduled start Monday in Philadelphia.

New York manager Joe Torre was suspended for one game.

The Springer situation was under extraordinary circumstances and Randy Johnson did not hit anyone. If Randy Johnson had actually hit a batte instead of just pitching inside the suspensions would likely be different.

You know what, I'm beginning to think 2 games may have been excessive while Riske could very well have gotten off lightly here, last year Riske was suspended 4 games for hitting Ichiro, Wedge only got 1 game for that. 2 years ago Salomon Torres hit a batter in a similar situtation and McClendon got 1 game. Also, last year during a D-Rays/Red Sox brawl that started because of HBPs, Fancona and Pinella buth got 3 games, but that was a bench clearer so the situation is different. I'm going to keep looking around but it seems 2 might be a bit much.

Selig better not get involved in this Mariotti incident.

If anything, let the SOX handle this privately.

QUOTE(CardsJimEdmonds15 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
Not surprising.. that's Selig for ya.. once an ass, always an ass.. There are other things he should worry about besides a little plunking here and there.. it's not as if the Cards and Sox fought..