JoBo

BrandoFan

Send the f***er down!

Platoon Willie Harris in CF with Maggs who can't possibly be worse than Joe.

Meanwhile, the latter needs to say in AAA until he can mantain 900+ OPS for an entire season, he was hitting 675 when he got called up enough said...As it stands now, he has too many holes in his swing, his SZJ is unacceptable and too long, loopy swing. If he had Sheffield-ian batspeed, then maybe he could overcompensate and learn in the majors....but it's not, it will only hurt him if he stays here and gets exploited, messing up his confidence....Both Daubach and Konerko get bashed so much (righfully so), but they twice the hitters JoBo is at this point. Hell even Rios has career OPS of 800, so he can't be all bad.

All those who whine "Borchard is the future...boohoohoo" in defense of his automatic

out-ness...need to be cognizant of a few basic truths:

1) If Sox fail to make postseason and capture the hearts of Chicago fairweather fans, THERE IS NO FUTURE.

2) If Borchard is overmatched for an extended period of time and loses his will to play/improve, HE HAS NO FUTURE. He looks like he is sleepwalking, dreaming of NFL as it is, after only few weeks of play.

Send the f***er down!

Meanwhile, the latter needs to say in AAA until he can mantain 900+ OPS for an entire season, he was hitting 675 when he got called up enough said...As it stands now, he has too many holes in his swing, his SZJ is unacceptable and too long, loopy swing.  If he had Sheffield-ian batspeed, then maybe he could overcompensate and learn in the majors....but it's not, it will only hurt him if he stays here and gets exploited, messing up his confidence....Both Daubach and Konerko get bashed so much (righfully so), but they twice the hitters JoBo is at this point. Hell even Rios has career OPS of 800, so he can't be all bad. 

All those who whine "Borchard is the future...boohoohoo" in defense of his automatic

1) If Sox fail to make postseason and capture the hearts of Chicago fairweather fans, THERE IS NO FUTURE.

2) If Borchard is overmatched for an extended period of time and loses his will to play/improve, HE HAS NO FUTURE. He looks like he is sleepwalking, dreaming of NFL as it is, after only few weeks of play.

Brando i TOTALLY agree. This guy is nowhere CLOSE to being ready for the major leagues.

Send the f***er down!

Meanwhile, the latter needs to say in AAA until he can mantain 900+ OPS for an entire season, he was hitting 675 when he got called up enough said...As it stands now, he has too many holes in his swing, his SZJ is unacceptable and too long, loopy swing.  If he had Sheffield-ian batspeed, then maybe he could overcompensate and learn in the majors....but it's not, it will only hurt him if he stays here and gets exploited, messing up his confidence....Both Daubach and Konerko get bashed so much (righfully so), but they twice the hitters JoBo is at this point. Hell even Rios has career OPS of 800, so he can't be all bad. 

Brando i TOTALLY agree. This guy is nowhere CLOSE to being ready for the major leagues.

What have you seen out of Rowand and Harris that say they are ready to be MLers?

Send the f***er down!

If the Sox were to send down Borchard Manuel would stick Rios in centerfield, and if you ask me I don't want to see anymore of that. Rios has let way too many bloopers drop in front of him, those plays need to be made and Borchard can make em. Let's just face it, no matter what we do we can't better center field unless we go outside the organization. For now anyways.

CWSOX45

If the Sox were to send down Borchard Manuel would stick Rios in centerfield, and if you ask me I don't want to see anymore of that. Rios has let way too many bloopers drop in front of him, those plays need to be made and Borchard can make em. Let's just face it, no matter what we do we can't better center field unless we go outside the organization. For now anyways.

CWSOX45

Definitely agree there.

Way to early to give up on JB, Texas never gave up on Blalock :huh:

They didn't give up on him, they just sent him back down to AAA until he was ready, which is what needs to be done here before all of his confidence is gone.

I agree Borchard is far from major league material unless he figures out how to shorten his swing and cut down on those strikeouts.

Bash me all you want, but for the time being, I think our best option in CF is still Aaron Rowand.

For the time being, I agree.

I said as soon as Borchard was called up that he would find his own after he is sent back to Charlotte. I stand by that.

Harris can run, really f***ing fast.

Defense. Inb addtion to his 2B skillz, Willie already has more range than JoBo in CF, and it will only become more obvious as the former gets more playing time at the position. What about Joe's QB arm you say? Considering that Willi gets himself in better position to throw, puts more effort into it and has actually thrown a few runners out at the plate. What has LTP done for me lately?

Hitting. Willie has better hand-eye-coordination, the ball jumps off his bat when he connects. He will walk more and K less if he gets regular playing time. If he ever learns to be groundball conscious, he will make for a good CF'er. Joe can't even bunt when he is in the slump.

Running. This is where Willie enjoys the biggest advantage as he is arguably top 10 fastest guys in the majors. If he learns the art of baserunning from Jose, he will be unstoppable once OB. Can be a great utility man....Meanwhile Jobo is one of the slowest "fast" guys I have ever seen- poor jumps, awkward rounding the base and sliding. Very medicore at best.

Unless Joe improves his batspeed (shortter swing and more loose approach will be a nice start) and starts getting a clue as far SZ is concerned, Sox may have no choice but to put Willie and underrated Maggs in CF this year. YMMV.

Send the f***er down!

Please no one mention Maggs in centerfield. The last thing we need to do is give the guy a hamstring injury.

Send the f***er down!

Please no one mention Maggs in centerfield. The last thing we need to do is give the guy a hamstring injury.

If Jim Edmonds, Lance Berkman, Larry Walker, Austin Kearns and Biggio managed, think Maggs can too. He is not a full-out hustler in the Rowand mold, so he should preserve himself.

He has the arm, gets decent jumps. He ain't Anduw Jones or Tori Hunter, but even those guys aren't on some days.

If Willia starts hitting, he wouldn't have to.

Rios sucks and is indifferent. Trade him away and watch him thrive on a playoff NL team. :)

I agree with Brando Fan, BMR, Rex and others who say Borchard is not ready. And to others yes it seems we are screwed big time in CF at the moment. My question is why can't someone work with Joe on his swing. It was critiqued perfectly on this thread. Someone has to tell the guy that the swing has to change or else there is NO future for him in the bigs. Is he set in his ways and uncoachable?

My question is why can't someone work with Joe on his swing

Something about talent not being teachable...

A true HOF power swing is a rare combinaiton of batspeed, hand-eye coordination, strike zone knowledge and supreme confidence. Joe has none that I've seen of.

It's all up to him to prove me wrong. He needs to stop his NFL longing and get to work.

He ain't Anduw Jones or Tori Hunter, but even those guys aren't on some days.

Now Brando, I disagree with you a lot, so this may not come as a surprise, but I am willing to bet you any amount of money that Andruw Jones is Andruw Jones everday. Ditto for Torii Hunter. Even on the days they aren't playing and don't have their names on their backs, I am still willing to bet they don't change identities.

;-)

I was surprised when the Sox brought yp Borchard this early in the season. I thought the organization big wigs were saying that JB needed more seasoning at the AAA level to correct his big swing. He's up with the club, but probably isn't ready. I don't think Harris is ready either. If we are to correct the CF problem we need to trade , or at the very least maybe think of giving it back to Rowand.

Guest hotsoxchick1
My question is why can't someone work with Joe on his swing.

that guy who can help him best would be in trip a right now........ ;) send him to see him for a while and let rowand come back..........

Last winter, when I was new to this board, I expressed my doubts about Joe B, and I was roundly criticized. I still have those doubts. The kid looks great, runs great, throws great, but I have never seen a good major league hitter swing the way he does. Everyone is entitled to mistakes in the draft. If he doesn't make it, so what. Send him down and let him flounder at AAA. If he figures it out, we have a winner. Otherwise, let's stop the wishful thinking. He has to learn to hit before he comes to the show again. I would rather concentrate on some other option in center.

Last winter, when I was new to this board, I expressed my doubts about Joe B, and I was roundly criticized.  I still have those doubts.  The kid looks great, runs great, throws great, but I have never seen a good major league hitter swing the way he does.  Everyone is entitled to mistakes in the draft.  If he doesn't make it, so what.  Send him down and let him flounder at AAA.  If he figures it out, we have a winner.  Otherwise, let's stop the wishful thinking.  He has to learn to hit before he comes to the show again.  I would rather concentrate on some other option in center.

I can't argue with you there Jim. Joe seems to have regressed since the 2001 season in Birmingham where he was excellent. The long swing was still there, but you figured on him to fix that without losing ground.