Albert Pujols to Start Tonight

G&T

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 05:41 PM)
Which is why I just can't figure out why they'd bring him back yet, even if he says he's healthy. The last thing they want is to lose him for another 2 weeks from him twisting the wrong way.

Yeah, I agree. I'm saying, I don't think there's even the slightest chance they're just taking his word for it.

Btw, no link yet.... I tried CJE15's link, but it mentions nothing about Pujols.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
Yeah, I agree. I'm saying, I don't think there's even the slightest chance they're just taking his word for it.

Btw, no link yet.... I tried CJE15's link, but it mentions nothing about Pujols.

No it has nothing yet.. they havent got a link up but it's on their site now.. so I believe he's back..

Yeah Zach Zaidman was just on B&B saying it is officially official. Seems Dave Duncan was a little exra pissy when Zach tried to ask him a question, perhaps the demotion of his son is just adding to the horrible series Dave is having.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
Yeah Zach Zaidman was just on B&B saying it is officially official. Seems Dave Duncan was a little exra pissy when Zach tried to ask him a question, perhaps the demotion of his son is just adding to the horrible series Dave is having.

Duncan blows. His pitching staff can't get us out, he's all pissy and defensive of his own son, and now he's an ass towards a guy with simple questions. Between Duncan this series and La Russa's blind defense of Mark McGwire, I've lost a lot of respect for the Cards coaching staff. Still great fans, but their coaching staff can go away.

QUOTE(CardsJimEdmonds15 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 05:49 PM)
No it has nothing yet.. they havent got a link up but it's on their site now.. so I believe he's back..

That's fair, it's just such a surprise after the initial reports, LaRussa's comments, and the predictions of this weekend or early next week, etc -- that I'm eager to see it with my own eyes. I read that he put on a show in bp, so it seems plausible.

I checked the Card's transaction page (I know it's never updated that quickly, but I can dream), to find that Bigbie has "an umbilical hernia". Just the name hurts me.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 09:21 PM)
Sporting News has these lineups in

Cards

SS Eckstein

CF Luna

1B Pujols

3B Rolen

RF Encarnacion

LF Taguchi

DH Spiezio

C Molina

2B Miles

Sox

LF Podsednik

2B Cintron

DH Thome

1B Konerko

RF Dye

C Pierzynski

3B Crede

CF Mackowiak

SS Uribe

I would guess that they DH Pujols tonight. Spiezio can play first can't he?

QUOTE(Sox1422 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 05:56 PM)
I would guess that they DH Pujols tonight. Spiezio can play first can't he?

They could, but Pujols (I think? -- or LaRussa?) said that he wouldn't dh, that he'd be the first baseman when he returns.

Edited by jackie hayes

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 02:58 PM)
Didn't Pujols say that he didn't want to DH?

Either him or someone in their organization...gave the ol "If he's healthy enough to hit he's healthy enough to play the field". I'd say they're crazy. DH him for 4 games while you have the chance. Yeesh.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
Well, I hope FG realizes that Pujols will be a bit rusty, I'd pitch him him down and in, make him turn that bat and test the oblique.

Or you could throw him 4 pitches a foot off the outside corner. I would take absolutely no chances against him.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
We're not exactly facing Jason Marquis or Mark Mulder either. Reyes has legitimate stuff.

You'd give the nod to Reyes and his two starts over Marquis and Mulder who have a seasoned MLB resume to fall back on. He may have legitimate stuff, but he is still considered a prospect, pitching on the road against the world champs, who have put a hurting on the Cards the past two nights. I'll take us in that match up. I highly doubt Reyes has anybody in our lineup shaking in their boots.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 05:07 PM)
Or you could throw him 4 pitches a foot off the outside corner. I would take absolutely no chances against him.

You could, but we're not going to more than once, and I don't think we'll be dishing out any IBBs, anyway.

If his oblique was still cranky, hitting is harder than fielding so a move to DH makes no sense. I think he;s fine and am not surprised he's back already. He's shown in the past with multiple injuries that he's willing to play through more pain than most guys. It's good for baseball that it's brightest star is back

Albert's work ethic is very very well.. I knew when he went out he'd be back in no time.. I didnt think it would be 2 weeks or so though.. but he said he wanted to play 1st when he returned over DH'ing because he feels fielding is just as important to the team as him DH'ing.. or something like that.. crazy I know.. Yes I'm worried he's coming back too soon but I'm not at all surprised he returns tonight.. Afterall they probably want our best out there for the Rookie pitching tonight..

QUOTE(CardsJimEdmonds15 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 06:15 PM)
Albert's work ethic is very very well.. I knew when he went out he'd be back in no time.. I didnt think it would be 2 weeks or so though.. but he said he wanted to play 1st when he returned over DH'ing because he feels fielding is just as important to the team as him DH'ing.. or something like that.. crazy I know.. Yes I'm worried he's coming back too soon but I'm not at all surprised he returns tonight.. Afterall they probably want our best out there for the Rookie pitching tonight..

As a Cardinal fan I want your opinion on something. Do you think Pujols would be back in the lineup if this series hadn't gone the way it has? Do you believe this is a desperation move on LaRussa's part to stop the bleeding?

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 06:18 PM)
As a Cardinal fan I want your opinion on something. Do you think Pujols would be back in the lineup if this series hadn't gone the way it has? Do you believe this is a desperation move on LaRussa's part to stop the bleeding?

My honest opinion.. I think he's back because of what's happened and that Cards wanna try and take at least one of these games.

QUOTE(CardsJimEdmonds15 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
My honest opinion.. I think he's back because of what's happened and that Cards wanna try and take at least one of these games.

I think that's really dumb if that's what's happening. Why risk Pujols long term (both the rest of the season and beyond) by rushing him back?