1-0 victory

VAfan

Last year, we all know that we won the opening game of the season 1-0, the opening game of the second half 1-0, and the final game of the year 1-0, with three different pitchers doing the honors -- Buehrle, Contreras, and Garcia.

We also won games 2-1 (Cleveland), 2-1 (Seattle), 3-1 (Minnesota), 3-2 (KC), 2-1 (KC), 3-2 (Balt.), 2-1 (Angels), 2-1 (Colo.), 2-1 (Detroit), 3-1 (Seattle), 2-1 (Yanks), 2-1 (Yanks) back to back, 2-1 (Minn.), 2-1 (Detroit), 1-0 (KC), 2-1 (Minn.), 3-1 (Minn), 3-2 (Cleve.), 3-1 (Cleve). In the playoffs we also beat LAA 2-1.

That was 23 victories (out of 110 - 21%) when scoring 3 runs or less. Those close, low scoring, games defined our season and our team.

This year, until last night, our lowest scoring victory was 2-1 over the Angels on April 29. We've also had a 3-1 win over KC. We've also beaten KC and Oakland 3-2. And that's it. 5 games this year (out of 47 - 10%) scoring less than 4 runs in a victory.

Now, I'm not willing to sacrifice our much-improved offense to go back to those days. I just think last night's win is going to put a jolt of energy into this team that should get us playing on an even higher level than we have been recently. Beating a great NL team like St. Louis 20-6, 13-5, and then 1-0 on a single hit means the Sox can play any kind of baseball and still come out on top. Until last night, I wasn't sure that was true of the 2006 Sox (and I'm not sure they knew if it was true either).

I think during this series the 2006 version of the Chicago White Sox has finally arrived!

GO WHITE SOX!!!

I was at the game last night and thought they played awesome. Reyes had some great stuff and was relatively untouchable, but the one shot by Thome was all we needed.

I was very impressed by the way they flashed the leather and really got behind Freddy in what they knew was going to be a close game.

As much as I hate comparing it to last year, it was very 2005-esque. Even when the bats were quiet, the defense and pitching kept them within striking distance and let the one opportunity they had (and took) be the only one they needed.

It was a great game all the way around....

:gosox1:

To make this post mean something you need to put up how many games we have lost when giving up 3 runs or less for the last two years. In total the question is which pitching is better last year or this year. We know the hitting is not even close. Also, in the two games against the Cards our pitchers jsut had to throw strikes.

I see your point though. Not trying to put you down.

I think this game is a perfect example of the old baseball saying "These things always even themselves out".

In August of 2005, Freddy Garcia pitched an absolute GEM where he carried a no-hitter late into the game. He gave up only one hit in the game, and lost 1-0. (One of the many reasons I hate Johan Santana)

I'd say yesterday's game evens that one out.

QUOTE(Finkelstein @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
As a fan, would you rather be at a game that was 20-6 or 1-0? I think that I would choose the 20-6 game only because of the constant excitement, even though I do love a pitcher's duel.

I'd take the safe lead every time if we're talking about the White Sox. If we're talking about a game not featuring the Sox, I'll take the 1-0 game.

I agree with everyone's comments. This is what shows me the team has really gelled again a a unit. They win the absolute blow outs, but also win with the pitching making up for no offense.

I do remember that game last year when Garcia lost the one hit 1-0 game and this year he wins one.

Clutch Hitting and good pitching has always been the formula for success for us over the past season and a half in these type of games.

Reyes deserved much better though. But then again, Freddy went through the same sort of thing in Minny last season. Karma is a wonderful thing. :)

One thing we have to keep in mind while watching games this year....this is not the 2005 White Sox. Kenny has constructed the team so that we can play less 1 run and low scoring games. He knew that the Sox couldn't win that many games playing that way again...not to call it a fluke but you cannot have a 2 year stretch winning that many close ballgames.

He got a more well-balanced team to take the pressure off the pitching so when our pitchers are not pitching up to their capabilites....like some have not thus far...the Sox can still succeed.