Wife leaves with teenage boy

Steff

...but hey at least he can still listen to Howard ;)

Union Leader Correspondent

1 hour, 25 minutes ago

CANTERBURY – The nationwide search for a missing mother, her 8-year-old son and a Nashua teen last seen in Illinois added another state to the story yesterday.

Yesterday morning, Jennifer Malone's husband, Rodney, received a package postmarked Knoxville, Tenn. It contained his satellite radio receiver from the minivan his wife left in Friday.

Jennifer Malone

The Priority Mail package also contained a note from Jennifer reading, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to take this with me. Jay."

"That's it," said Rodney Malone, still waiting for word on his son, Brennan, who Malone picked up Friday afternoon from Canterbury Elementary.

"It seemed really cold to me. I'd rather her throw the (receiver) off a bridge and get a note that Brennan's OK."

Rodney Malone

It is believed Malone, 32, also fled the state with 16-year-old Christopher Cole, a student at Mount Prospect Academy, where she had worked as a counselor.

Investigators from the state Division for Children, Youth and Families were to meet with Jennifer Malone Monday concerning claims she had an inappropriate relationship with a student. She was fired from the academy in early May, according to her husband.

Jennifer Malone was seen at a rest stop in Illinois late Sunday night with Cole, his mother Jennifer Reyes, said. Cole, who is familiar with his grandfather's truck route, contacted the grandfather, Frank Corr, and asked him to meet them Sunday, Reyes said. Cole asked his grandfather for money and ignored Corr's plea to return to New Hampshire.

"We know they have no money," said Reyes. "It's not doing anybody any good to be doing this. They should just come home."

Police are investigating the disappearances. Authorities are trying to secure a warrant against Malone for taking a minor across state lines, but jurisdiction issues — specifically where Malone and Cole may have met up — are complicating the matter, Reyes said. Additionally, charges cannot be filed against Malone for abducting Brennan because she has custody.

"The police are telling me they're doing everything they can," said Reyes.

Rodney Malone, a shop supervisor at the state prison in Concord who spent 11 months in Iraq as part of a National Guard outfit, filed an emergency court order to obtain sole custody, but that motion has to be presented to Jennifer Malone before it can take effect.

Jennifer Malone made a stop in Concord Friday to withdraw money from a bank account and then made a credit card purchase at a Brooks pharmacy in Nashua, according to Rodney Malone. Cole told Corr Sunday they had about $230 on them.

"I'm worried they're so desperate they may do something criminal," said Reyes. "I don't know what they're capable of. I'm scared."

Rodney Malone was mystified by the package he received from Tennessee yesterday.

"Why this," he said, mulling the 11:30 a.m. Tuesday postmark on the package he turned over to State Police detectives. "I don't think they realize the totality of the situation."

Jennifer Malone and Cole were last seen driving a 2004 red Ford Freestar minivan with a New Hampshire plate 1203161. Authorities are asking anyone with information to call Canterbury Police at 228-1010.