Basketball beating

Steff

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
I disagree. Pushing and shoving is part of basketball. I wouldnt expect to get pummelled after pushing and shoving someone on the street. Let alone in organized basketball. The kid was out of line for the clothesline and then the continuous beating.

You have to consider the entire situation. The kid was mad that he got elbowed on the chest, so he pushed the guy. Would it have been ok for the white kid to beat the black kid's ass right there? Of course not.

"I wouldnt expect to get pummelled after pushing and shoving someone on the street."

I see at least one ass kicking in your future.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
"I wouldnt expect to get pummelled after pushing and shoving someone on the street."

I see at least one ass kicking in your future.

On the street, it is understood that it is going to get physical. Man the f*** up.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
Exactamundo Fonzarelli.

I don't know guys, hands are like that on each other all the time it's a basketball game. I can see pushing someone on the street unprovoked...then you better be ready for that guy to start swinging...but in a basketball game...how can you expect the guy to swing at you just for pushing him back?

haha funny how all these posts started talking about fightin on the street.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
I don't guys, hands are like that on each other all the time it's a basketball game. I can see pushing someone on the street unprovoked...then you better be ready for that guy to start swinging...but in a basketball game...how can you expect the guy to swing at you just for pushing him back?

Exactamundo Fonzarelli.

This is an organized basketball game. There should be none of this.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
I don't know guys, hands are like that on each other all the time it's a basketball game. I can see pushing someone on the street unprovoked...then you better be ready for that guy to start swinging...but in a basketball game...how can you expect the guy to swing at you just for pushing him back?

haha funny how all these posts started talking about fightin on the street.

That kind of shoving is not part of the game and once you've push a guy like that, you're indirectly telling him that you don't care about the rules. At that point, he might react in a lot of different ways.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
Exactamundo Fonzarelli.

This is an organized basketball game. There should be none of this.

you're right, there shound't be, but when that kid shoved, HE brought it into the game.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
That kind of shoving is not part of the game and once you've push a guy like that, you're indirectly telling him that you don't care about the rules. At that point, he might react in a lot of different ways.

Did you listen to the interview? The black kid pushed him 1st.

I can see both sides. Basketball can get very aggressive, especially when fouls are occuring, called or not. At one point, I got slammed into a wall going up for a lay-up and there was no call, so my blood was boiling and I ran down court as fast as I could and tackled the kid that fouled me.

Yet, the kid could have broken his neck with the takedown he used. I can understand a swing after the series of events that apparently happened. But the rest was just from a person not being able to control themselves when their temper flares and calls for anger management at the very least. There's retalliation, and then there's taking it to a new level, which this kid did.

This thread seperates those who played basketball, at least at a high school level, and those who sat in the stands and watched.

Getting physical is part of the game. The kid took it too far and started swinging. He was in the wrong.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
This thread seperates those who played basketball, at least at a high school level, and those who sat in the stands and watched.

Getting physical is part of the game. The kid took it too far and started swinging. He was in the wrong.

Totally agree.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)

Actually I have notice that this subject has more separated people according to where they were raised. People raised in tougher neighborhoods by and large fell on the side of don't start none, won't be none, where the more middle class and higher neighborhoods didn't understand why something like that would happen. Now I know there are exceptions, but it was just an observation of mine.

Anyways, Yes there is a certian amount of pushing and shoving that happens in any game. On the video at least, the line was crossed when the kid went out of his way to get into the other kids path and give him a two hand shove. If the pushing and shoving takes place under the basket, nothing happens, but in a none game situation, the guy ran him down, got into him and shoved him. It is a totally different situation than shoving a guy under the basket. Like I said earlier the guy didn't deserve the beating he got, but given the circumstances shown on tape, it didn't surprise me at all.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 06:59 PM)
Actually I have notice that this subject has more separated people according to where they were raised. People raised in tougher neighborhoods by and large fell on the side of don't start none, won't be none, where the more middle class and higher neighborhoods didn't understand why something like that would happen. Now I know there are exceptions, but it was just an observation of mine.

Anyways, Yes there is a certian amount of pushing and shoving that happens in any game. On the video at least, the line was crossed when the kid went out of his way to get into the other kids path and give him a two hand shove. If the pushing and shoving takes place under the basket, nothing happens, but in a none game situation, the guy ran him down, got into him and shoved him. It is a totally different situation than shoving a guy under the basket. Like I said earlier the guy didn't deserve the beating he got, but given the circumstances shown on tape, it didn't surprise me at all.

I live in Gurnee and went to Warren high school which is considered a rich school. A little less so than the brats at Stevenson.

/cheap shot

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 07:01 PM)
I live in Gurnee and went to Warren high school which is considered a rich school. A little less so than the brats at Stevenson.

/cheap shot

God, you are a whore. :D

Edited by Rowand44

I would say I was raised in a working class neighborhood and I've seen plenty of fights break out during basketball, football, etc. It doesn't matter where you were raised, human decency is what prevents people from clotheslining someone, and then repeatedly punching them in the back of the head when they're out cold.

This f***er should be charged to the fullest extent of the law.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
I would say I was raised in a working class neighborhood and I've seen plenty of fights break out during basketball, football, etc. It doesn't matter where you were raised, human decency is what prevents people from clotheslining someone, and then repeatedly punching them in the back of the head when they're out cold.

This f***er should be charged to the fullest extent of the law.

I definitely don't think he was intending to make a genralization, but I do think there is some truth to what he's said. In Florida I went to a s***hole middle school where fights broke out daily and the teachers did nothing. When I came back to Illinois and went to Richards - which at the time was considered an "elite" school there were almost no fights - save for after school maybe 3 times in my years there, and I found this to be over the line (though I didn't play basketball so I don't know what is or isn't acceptable "roughness" during a game). Things sure are different these days, that's for sure.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 03:40 PM)
That kind of shoving is not part of the game and once you've push a guy like that, you're indirectly telling him that you don't care about the rules.

Upon second viewing, You are right on, LMB.

Off the cuff I wanted to side with whitey, as in real time it does appear the black kid went to far after the takedown...

BUT, after one more replay -- watch the zoomed-in slow mo part about half way through -- the white kid's shove, while not being part of the game, under the rim, whatever, was followed by a couple of hop steps toward the black kid, in a very confrontational style. It clearly looks like our innocent "Colter" was trying to start something, wasn't even paying attention to the play, and the black kid reacted.