Starting a staff

knightni

Which one would you choose to start your team?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

• Justin Verlander
    • Joel Zumaya
    • Felix Hernandez
    • Francisco Liriano
    • Brandon McCarthy
    • Anthony Reyes
    • Scott Kazmir
    • Chad Billingsley
    • Matt Cain
    • Josh Johnson

Knight... no offense, but your missing alot of young names here. And I don't know what your doing cause you have mostly starters and one or two relievers. Which are you comparing? Zumaya isn't a starter and he might not be one. (could be their future closer aka Bobby Jenks 2.0)

I haven't seen King Felix pitch, but I want to know why there isn't an Emperor Fransisco in Minnesota. Given, I've only been watching baseball for about 5 years now, but I don't think I've ever seen a more MLB ready and a more composed pitcher this young, this early in a pitcher's career. Liriano has no limit. 96-99 MPH fastball? 89-92 slider that moves 2 feet? Along with a plus changeup and good control?

There is no stopping Liriano. Liriano controls his own destiny.

(as I recall, Liriano was a throw-in in the Pierzynski deal...if I am indeed remembering correctly, he was a hell of a throw-in)

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 01:16 AM)
I haven't seen King Felix pitch, but I want to know why there isn't an Emperor Fransisco in Minnesota. Given, I've only been watching baseball for about 5 years now, but I don't think I've ever seen a more MLB ready and a more composed pitcher this young, this early in a pitcher's career. Liriano has no limit. 96-99 MPH fastball? 89-92 slider that moves 2 feet? Along with a plus changeup and good control?

There is no stopping Liriano. Liriano controls his own destiny.

(as I recall, Liriano was a throw-in in the Pierzynski deal...if I am indeed remembering correctly, he was a hell of a throw-in)

How do you suppose Brian Sabean lives his life knowing he traded Liriano for Pierzynski? Don't even factor in Bonser or Nathan. His name alone for Pierzynski is shameful.

On ESPN's broadcast of Clemens/Liriano they discussed the deal. As expected, neither broadcaster could believe how much of a steal it was for the Twins. It must be difficult for Sabean to read through a newspaper or turn on the TV and not feel suicidal.

It's funny -- several years ago I was livid in the aftermath of Williams' Todd Ritchie trade. Thought it was the type of move which sends a general manager to an early grave. When you consider the pitching problems we experienced from 2001-2004, Wells (and to a lesser degree, Fogg) would have been a welcomed addition to our rotation. But, as I've seen with Sabean's mess, our ballclub had it rather easy. Todd Ritche trade sent us back several years. Pierzynski's ransom will undoubtedly send the Giants back atleast five. Perhaps more if San Francisco fails to find consistent rotation/bullpen help. When Nathan leaves Minnesota -- which I'm sure he will soon -- Minnesota will either receive a good package for him or take their compensation draft pick and develop another hard-throwing relief pitcher. He won't leave for nothing. No one from Minneosta every does.

I hope Williams never makes a trade near this crushing level. Has anyone ever browsed San Francisco's message board lately? You can count on a thread following every Liriano start which criticizes Sabean for trading him. No one on this board would be able to tolerate my whining if we were in San Francisco's position. Think I'm bad now with the numerous "where's our Liriano, Garza, Reyes (insert contributing minor leaguer)?" It would be unbearble for everyone. :D ;)

If there's anything a general manager can learn from this experience, it's the right trade is often the one which isn't made. McCarthy could have been in Boston's rotation right now if Rodriguez were dealt there. Oh, and I don't believe from this point onwards opposing general managers will openly trade Ryan unheralded minor leaguers. It's obvious the Twins scouting department does their homework.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

verlander is the best young guy right now

he is extremely solid and has a better pickoff move than mark (maybe)

i like his style and think he is going to kick ass soon, hopefully he will too expensive for the tigers

QUOTE(zygoat @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)
verlander is the best young guy right now

he is extremely solid and has a better pickoff move than mark (maybe)

i like his style and think he is going to kick ass soon, hopefully he will too expensive for the tigers

Ok.

Verlander - 3.39ERA, 1.28 WHIP, .257BAA, 31BB/58SO/95.2IP

Liriano - 2.17 ERA, 1.06 WHIP, .215 BAA, 19BB/74SO/66.1IP

Verlander won't be too expensive for another 7-8 years.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
How do you suppose Brian Sabean lives his life knowing he traded Liriano for Pierzynski? Don't even factor in Bonser or Nathan. His name alone for Pierzynski is shameful.

On ESPN's broadcast of Clemens/Liriano they discussed the deal. As expected, neither broadcaster could believe how much of a steal it was for the Twins. It must be difficult for Sabean to read through a newspaper or turn on the TV and not feel suicidal.

I think he just gets used to being abused in trades like that. Foppert and Torrealba for Winn? Aardsma and Williams for Hawkins? He gave up Ainsworth, Moss, and Hannaman for Ponson a couple years ago, and then lost Ponson in free agency. I am also almost positive he was behind the White Flag trade too - Foulke, Howry, Caruso, Vining, Manning, and the legendary Lorenzo Barcelo. I just wonder how much worse that trade could have been for San Francisco had Barcelo stayed healthy.

You could quite literally like start an entire pitching staff based off of the number of pitchers Sabean has dealt over the past 10 years...it's pretty disgusting.

(psssssssst...the Sox are still reaping the benefits of the White Flag trade today, 10 years later, in the form of Neal Cotts...imagine how long the Twins will reap benefits from the AJP trade)

I hope Williams never makes a trade near this crushing level. Has anyone ever browsed San Francisco's message board lately? You can count on a thread following every Liriano start which criticizes Sabean for trading him. No one on this board would be able to tolerate my whining if we were in San Francisco's position. Think I'm bad now with the numerous "where's our Liriano, Garza, Reyes (insert contributing minor leaguer)?" It would be unbearble for everyone. :D ;)

I don't think KW can make a trade near that crushing level. His eye for minor league talent is amazing. During his tenure as GM, I honestly can't think of a minor leaguer that came up with his new team and made an immediate impact, or for that matter, even a long term impact. It's been 2 years since the Freddy Garcia trade, and Jeremy Reed still looks like a mediocre hitter. It's still possible for Chris Young to be really good for Arizona, but from what I have seen of KW in the past, I don't expect Young to be much better, if he is better, than Mike Cameron at the MLB level. Given, I've never seen Young play, and I'm not saying that Mike Cameron is a bad player...all I'm saying is that you are going to be getting a .250 average with good power, a good eye, and good defense in CF. I also think there is a very good reason Ryan Sweeney and Brian Anderson have never really ever been seriously discussed in potential deals.

If there's anything a general manager can learn from this experience, it's the right trade is often the one which isn't made. McCarthy could have been in Boston's rotation right now if Rodriguez were dealt there. Oh, and I don't believe from this point onwards opposing general managers will openly trade Ryan unheralded minor leaguers. It's obvious the Twins scouting department does their homework.

And of course, to counter that, Ryan will just ask for some no talent bum, and the GM will get paranoid and won't want to give him up. :lol: