Official Game Thread 6/24 - Stros vs Sox 12:20

wsox08

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)
Isn't there a better way to spend $10 million? If you're satisfied with those low standards, why don't we sign someone like Mark Redman instead?

The Garland we paid all that money to is not the same Garland who's pitching now.

If Garland is sucking balls then Garland needs to be riding the bench. Winning another championship is more important than running a guy out there just because he has a fat paycheck.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)
I, for one, won't settle for that. Jon was indeed very dissapointing today. His command and control were horrible. But, in his defense, it's not like they were hitting rockets all over the place.

You realize that the Astros are a bad hitting team.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 02:20 PM)
You realize that the Astros are a bad hitting team.

Yes, I do. Which even makes it more frustrating. I was just pointing out that a lot of the balls they hit were fairly weak. That still doesn't excuse Jon's lack of command/control.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)
Isn't there a better way to spend $10 million? If you're satisfied with those low standards, why don't we sign someone like Mark Redman instead?

it's a matter of sunk costs. It's useless to look at the $10 million and say we better get something out of it. We already committed to spending it. IT GONE! No matter if we pitch garland or not, that money ain't coming back.

Garland has been mediocre. Not terrible, not below average, not good, mediocre. He'd be a 4 on other teams, he is a 5 on ours.

If he gets 12-13 wins and a 5 era, that's a 7 win, 4.50 ERA performance from here on in.

I'll take that.

Nothing Garland is going to do for these last three months is going to shake his 2006 reputation as a shaky pitcher who had a career year. Postseason games are way too valuable to f*** around with.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
it's a matter of sunk costs. It's useless to look at the $10 million and say we better get something out of it. We already committed to spending it. IT GONE! No matter if we pitch garland or not, that money ain't coming back.

Garland has been mediocre. Not terrible, not below average, not good, mediocre. He'd be a 4 on other teams, he is a 5 on ours.

If he gets 12-13 wins and a 5 era, that's a 7 win, 4.50 ERA performance from here on in.

I'll take that.

Nothing Garland is going to do for these last three months is going to shake his 2006 reputation as a shaky pitcher who had a career year. Postseason games are way too valuable to f*** around with.

It also could be that we worried about having to steal his signs and score 20 runs against him when he pitches for a new team.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
Yes, I do. Which even makes it more frustrating. I was just pointing out that a lot of the balls they hit were fairly weak. That still doesn't excuse Jon's lack of command/control.

Jon didn't get much help from the guys behind him, if those plays would have been made, there is a chance his command would have been a bit better. Then add on to the fact that the Sox offense is lethargic - this pitcher can be hit for goodness sake! He has been awful on the road this season. And all the Sox's hitters have is 2 hits? Rough outing for the Sox on all facets

QUOTE(soxunited @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
Jon didn't get much help from the guys behind him, if those plays would have been made, there is a chance his command would have been a bit better. Then add on to the fact that the Sox offense is lethargic - this pitcher can be hit for goodness sake! He has been awful on the road this season. And all the Sox's hitters have is 2 hits? Rough outing for the Sox on all facets

Bottom Line: Good Major League Pitchers know how to pitch around mistakes.

I thought Jon was turning the corner after his last start.....he still wasn't pitching inside as much as I would have liked but he was staying in the zone.

When you're a Houston batter and you know he's not going to throw first pitch strike and he's going to nibble the corners the ENTIRE at bat, he's Danny Wright.

And going with what I just said about Jon, I've been loving Riske for the sole fact that he's pounding the zone.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)
I thought Jon was turning the corner after his last start.....he still wasn't pitching inside as much as I would have liked but he was staying in the zone.

When you're a Houston batter and you know he's not going to throw first pitch strike and he's going to nibble the corners the ENTIRE at bat, he's Danny Wright.

And going with what I just said about Jon, I've been loving Riske for the sole fact that he's pounding the zone.

Props for the Danny Wright comparison.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)

Jon is Danny Wright with mask, and large amounts of money bags around his home.

Jon lost his nuts sometime after last years world series.

What KW should do in my opinion is go out and find the best defensive OF guy he can find, a guy who can play all three positions, preferably a guy he can stash in Charlotte. Not an easy task. It is a long year though and the bumps and bruises will add up. They need another guy who's capable of playing a good CF. Mackowiak is miscast out there, he is a good corner OF but below average in CF.

Even if they pick up a guy who can fill in for September, it would be a good move. I don't know who's out there that fits the bill but it's a hole on this team IMO.

I loved the Riske move, I think he will help a lot, but the team needs a pesky hitter who can play all 3 OF spots. It's been said before, but it's showing up as a hole again.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)

He couldn't get his breaking-stuff over at all. I noticed that his fastball rarely hit 90 MPH. Of course, you never know with these inaccurate speed guns.