Official Game Thread 6/24 - Stros vs Sox 12:20

wsox08

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Jon didn't get much help from the guys behind him, if those plays would have been made, there is a chance his command would have been a bit better. Then add on to the fact that the Sox offense is lethargic - this pitcher can be hit for goodness sake! He has been awful on the road this season. And all the Sox's hitters have is 2 hits? Rough outing for the Sox on all facets

Garland blows. That's the bottomline. Sure there were plays that could have been made defensively, but Garland didn't do much to pitch over them. I still think that the major problem with Garland is that he doesn't have an "out" pitch. He can get 2 strikes on hitters but can't put them away. How many freaking foul balls do players hit off of Garland when he gets ahead in the count? I still can't believe we gave such a huge contract to a pitcher without dominating stuff or an out pitch. It's flat out baffling.

QUOTE(Ndgt10 @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
As long as Garland gets me 12-13 wins with a 5 ERA and a spot on the bench in the postseason, I will be a happy, happy man.

now would be a great time to put up a big crooked number... I haven't seen any good late inning come backs the past week....

LETS GO SOX!

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
I can't watch this game, but I'll just add this: Garland needs AJP catching him, plain and simple.

There is a difference with all of our pitcher when AJ starts behind the plate, or when widger does. There is a huge difference in the pitch calling. Our pitchers nibble like hamsters when Widger is behind the dish.

Seems that the bullpen is capable of getting guys out.

Riske will get torched now and then but he's not afraid to throw strikes, he's got a really good arm.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 02:31 PM)
He couldn't get his breaking-stuff over at all. I noticed that his fastball rarely hit 90 MPH. Of course, you never know with these inaccurate speed guns.

That certainly didn't help him either. His sinker was crap, even if he did get two double play balls.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
There is a difference with all of our pitcher when AJ starts behind the plate, or when widger does. There is a huge difference in the pitch calling. Our pitchers nibble like hamsters when Widger is behind the dish.

I'm not a Widge fan at all, AJ has to be one of the most underrated catchers in the AL at the very least

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
Nobody was saying that last year. Why is it Widger's when Garland struggles?

I was, even though i wasn't part of soxtalk.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
Nobody was saying that last year. Why is it Widger's when Garland struggles?

There is a difference in the majority of Buerhle's starts when Widger is behind the dish also. Baseball info solutions did some analysis on it, and it was a huge difference in Buerhle starts with AJ and Buerhle starts with Widger.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)

Widger's gone after this year. I'm hoping we call Stewart up in October, especially if we're comfortably in the playoffs, to see how he handles the staff.