Joe Crede's bright future v. Josh Fields, Ryan Sweeney

Steve9347

OK, it's obvious Joe Crede took his sweet time developing into what he is now: an elite third baseman. He fields his position well, has great numbers that stack up, and most importantly, it can never be argued that he rises to the occasion.

However, this does pose a problem, though a good one.

The White Sox have Josh Fields looming, who no one can argue is very close to the next level. Through 64 games with Charlotte this year, he is batting .321 with 11 homers and 39 RBI. However, Joe Crede is still young enough that I would appreciate him being around for years to come.

Then there is Ryan Sweeney. The solution to the Fields/Crede backup is to have Fields work in the outfield. Unfortunately, he's not going to learn centerfield (where we have an opening now and in the future), nor is Sweeney. Sweeney is still just 21, but is a future star in the big leagues.

Personally, I don't think we have much to look forward to in Jerry Owens, who is not even hitting .250 in AAA.

I see Sweeney taking over for Dye or Podsednik when either one of them leaves, but what about Fields... as Hawk would say, "where will he play?!"

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
i dont see sweeny in the leadoff position

and if he takes over for pods, who would lead off?

well, we're talking years from now. if you think pods is going to be on this team in 3 years, i think that's pushing it...

In my attempt at putting together the '08 roster I've taken a hint from some of the posters here along with Greg Graffin and James Hutton

PHD-Iview.jpg mar_26_james_hutton.jpg

"questions that besiege us in life are testament of our helplessness "there's no vestige of a beginning,

no prospect of an end", we have no control, we do not understand, you have no control, you are not in command!"

god I'm a lame ass.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 04:45 PM)
In my attempt at putting together the '08 roster I've taken a hint from some of the posters here along with Greg Graffin and James Hutton

"questions that besiege us in life are testament of our helplessness "there's no vestige of a beginning,

no prospect of an end", we have no control, we do not understand, you have no control, you are not in command!"

god I'm a lame ass.

I am sitting here trying to ponder this statement.

Time is so rock solid in the minds of the hordes but they cant...explain why it should slip away

i can do bad religion quotes all year long baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

QUOTE(beautox @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)

god I'm a lame ass.

seriously, greatest post EVER.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
Time is so rock solid in the minds of the hordes but they cant...explain why it should slip away

i can do bad religion quotes all year long baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

seriously, greatest post EVER.

thanks, BR FTW

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 09:23 AM)
OK, it's obvious Joe Crede took his sweet time developing into what he is now: an elite third baseman. He fields his position well, has great numbers that stack up, and most importantly, it can never be argued that he rises to the occasion.

However, this does pose a problem, though a good one.

The White Sox have Josh Fields looming, who no one can argue is very close to the next level. Through 64 games with Charlotte this year, he is batting .321 with 11 homers and 39 RBI. However, Joe Crede is still young enough that I would appreciate him being around for years to come.

Then there is Ryan Sweeney. The solution to the Fields/Crede backup is to have Fields work in the outfield. Unfortunately, he's not going to learn centerfield (where we have an opening now and in the future), nor is Sweeney. Sweeney is still just 21, but is a future star in the big leagues.

Personally, I don't think we have much to look forward to in Jerry Owens, who is not even hitting .250 in AAA.

I see Sweeney taking over for Dye or Podsednik when either one of them leaves, but what about Fields... as Hawk would say, "where will he play?!"

I just want to point out that Sweeney is a very good athlete and he's been getting a lot more playing time out in CF. He has a strong arm and is a fluid runner. I'm not saying he'd be as good as Anderson (not many are anywhere in baseball defensively) but I wouldn't hold it against him to develop into an average to above average defensive CFer.

QUOTE(soxpride77 @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 06:07 PM)
Will We be able to sign Crede? The better numbers he puts up, the more Boras is going to want for him.

He's our till 08, we'll worry about that when the time comes.

Edited by Rowand44

Josh now has 12 HRs, 44 RBIs and is now batting .329 :P

I could see Josh in LF before I could see him at 2nd. He could probably play 1st also, but that's not needed either. I could see Josh or Ryan Sweeney replace Pods in LF next year. Ryan has been playing alot of CF lately (he's playing there tonight) and I've yet to see Josh play LF. I think if KW was thinking like us, we would have seen one or both in LF by now.

Fields will be traded. His ceiling is too high at 3b with his power, avg, and OBP for KW not to put together a good deal. Stock up with pitching for him.

Sweeney should stick around for either LF or RF. Sweeney is about 1 yr away from helping. Good injury insurance in case Dye gets hurt, or Pods goes down.

IMO, Iguchi could take over leadoff in a pinch. Not ideal, but decent enough.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)
Fields will be traded. His ceiling is too high at 3b with his power, avg, and OBP for KW not to put together a good deal. Stock up with pitching for him.

Sweeney should stick around for either LF or RF. Sweeney is about 1 yr away from helping. Good injury insurance in case Dye gets hurt, or Pods goes down.

IMO, Iguchi could take over leadoff in a pinch. Not ideal, but decent enough.

I agree with your comments on Fields. His value is higher as a 3B than an outfielder which is why, I believe, they haven't moved him to left though they did discuss it at one point.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 02:45 AM)
I agree with your comments on Fields. His value is higher as a 3B than an outfielder which is why, I believe, they haven't moved him to left though they did discuss it at one point.

Esp. with Crede so strong offensively and defensively. Even if they can't re-sign Joe [which the sox should be able to strike a reasonable deal] by 2008 Fields will already be in the bigs at 3b somewhere, not the Of.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)
Fields in LF, Sweeney in RF is a scenario, if Crede resigns.

This is what I'm thinking also. It's probably the most realistic and best situation out there. Although, who's gonna lead off for us once Pods is gone? That could be a potentially big problem in a couple years.

Also, another scenario is that Fields plays 1B. I like this situation a lot as well. Thome isn't gettin' any younger, and Paulie could move to DH.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jun 24, 2006 -> 10:17 PM)
This is what I'm thinking also. It's probably the most realistic and best situation out there. Although, who's gonna lead off for us once Pods is gone? That could be a potentially big problem in a couple years.

Also, another scenario is that Fields plays 1B. I like this situation a lot as well. Thome isn't gettin' any younger, and Paulie could move to DH.

Depends on the 2b situation after Gooch.