Tiger Watch - Official Thread

hi8is

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 11:10 PM)
And how did the Sox do against those teams this year? Oh wait... :huh: :bringit :)

The White Sox aren't exactly in need of proving themselves. But what are they, 5-1 against the Tigers themselves?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
Well they play NY and Boston a total of 6 more games. Even if they were to be swept all 6 games it's still merely 6 games.

Like you said, it's 6 games! I don't see them winning more than 2 of those the way they have played against the top teams. That could very likely be the difference in the race.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 05:18 PM)
Like you said, it's 6 games! I don't see them winning more than 2 of those the way they have played against the top teams. That could very likely be the difference in the race.

The difference could also be the Sox playing s***ty against very, very bad KC and Cleveland teams.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 07:22 PM)
Abreu has suggested he might not waive his no trade if it means going to detroit. Can't blame him.

This might be a popular thing to say, but I mean it in the kindest way. Detroit is not an attractive place for athletes to go. It is lower on the socioeconomic pole than many other pro sports cities. There are fewer supplemental income opportunities. And Detroit rarely leads off SportsCenter, so there is little main stream pubilicity. Unless it is offering a lot more money, as it did in Magglio's case, Detroit has trouble being an attractive city. And I honestly do not mean this in a mean spirited way. Just being honest.

Edited by Greg The Bull Luzinski

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 09:02 PM)
This might be a popular thing to say, but I mean it in the kindest way. Detroit is not an attractive place for athletes to go. It is lower on the socioeconomic pole than many other pro sports cities. There are fewer supplemental income opportunities. And Detroit rarely leads off SportsCenter, so there is little main stream pubilicity. Unless it is offering a lot more money, as it did in Magglio's case, Detroit has trouble being an attractive city. And I honestly do not mean this in a mean spirited way. Just being honest.

I agree with you. I even went to a game a couple weeks ago, let's just say you better get out of the area ASAP. It's like Resident Evil with zombies, except they are bums in this case. It figures too, I went to a game where Todd Jones blew it. :lol:

QUOTE(hawkitis @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 07:27 PM)
I agree with you. I even went to a game a couple weeks ago, let's just say you better get out of the area ASAP. It's like Resident Evil with zombies, except they are bums in this case. It figures too, I went to a game where Todd Jones blew it. :lol:

Just like the South Side. All cities have their despair. Metro Detroit is great. Think Naperville with lakes.

BTW Rodney has struck out all 4 batters he has faced.

Edited by Hurons

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 09:02 PM)

Then why is Detroit such a successful sports city? Something's working for them.

In the last 20 years I can't think of too many cities that have won more pro sports titles than Detroit.

In actuality, the popularly outdated perception of "Detroit" is quite a bit different than what the reality of the city has become. There are reasons why it has gotten and continues to get so many huge sporting events in and around the city. (ie. Ryder Cup, Super Bowl, PGA Championship, MLB All Star Game, NCAA Final Four, NCAA Frozen Four, etc...)

Pro athletes rarely live in the inner city of the towns they play in anyways. They live in the burbs and the burb that most of Detroit's pros live in just happens to be one of the richest counties in America. And unless your city is named LA, Chicago or New York...your supplemental income opportunities will only naturally pale in comparison.

There are too many intangibles to mention that all combine to make Detroit one of, if not the top pure sports cities in America.

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)
Then why is Detroit such a successful sports city? Something's working for them.

In the last 20 years I can't think of too many cities that have won more pro sports titles than Detroit.

In actuality, the popularly outdated perception of "Detroit" is quite a bit different than what the reality of the city has become. There are reasons why it has gotten and continues to get so many huge sporting events in and around the city. (ie. Ryder Cup, Super Bowl, PGA Championship, MLB All Star Game, NCAA Final Four, NCAA Frozen Four, etc...)

Pro athletes rarely live in the inner city of the towns they play in anyways. They live in the burbs and the burb that most of Detroit's pros live in just happens to be one of the richest counties in America. And unless your city is named LA, Chicago or New York...your supplemental income opportunities will only naturally pale in comparison.

There are too many intangibles to mention that all combine to make Detroit one of, if not the top pure sports cities in America.

Fact and perception are not the same. And again, I don't mean this in a spiteful way which is why this will be my last post in the line of discussion. When people think of Detroit, they think of Detroit not the suburbs of Detroit. I remember this past season in the NBA, the Sacremento Kings got in trouble during a ABC broadcast for showing shots of a Detroit ghetto during the Pistons intro in Sacremento. I just read about it, you probably know more about what happened than me. This is the image people perceive of Detroit. To be honest, Detroit is one of the few baseball stadiums in the Midwest that I have not visited. The perception of Detroit is what keeps me away. I may change my mind because I love baseball. To get a true measure of the perception of Detroit, ask people outside your city. This is what potential free agents and potential future players may see as well. I never questioned whether Detroit was a great sports town.

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 01:36 AM)
Just like the South Side. All cities have their despair. Metro Detroit is great. Think Naperville with lakes.

Wow........Comparing Detroit to Naperthrill??? :lolhitting You'd have to go accross the river to match the murder rate though.....

:canada

I'm sure a player would rather sit at home in a city that hates him, and isn't exactly a great place itself, than go to the playoffs in a place that would embrace him while sitting in his multi-million dollar mansion in the ridiculously wealthy suburbs of Detroit.

I guess Barry Sanders, the Detroit Pistons, Steve Yzerman and the Red Wings, and the like don't get any sponsorship deals...

Meanwhile Chicago stars like Michael Jordan and....um.....well...Michael Jordan are raking in the dough.

I'm not saying Detroit is a great place, I just don't understand the argument here, if a player is good enough he'll get tons of chances to rake in the cash whether he plays in New York or Tampa Bay.

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 08:36 PM)

Incorrect; Detroit is nothing like the South Side of Chicago.

Metro Detroit...not Detroit. Would you compare Naperville to the South Side? No!

I'm sick of fools resorting to the image of Detroit whenever they are behind in the standings. It's weak and an old bit. Back to baseball....the Tiger win again.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
Wow........Comparing Detroit to Naperthrill??? :lolhitting You'd have to go accross the river to match the murder rate though.....

:canada

Have you been to Detroit its similar to Chicago, one side is nicer than the other. He said that metro detroit is similar to naperville and i completely agree.

Anyways, the Tigers are not going away, they can hit very well and they always have. I still dont think guys like Robertson and Maroth can keep it up all season but thats because I dont want them to, personally as a sox fan making the playoffs is a win in my book. It makes no difference in the playoffs if you are a division winner or wild card team, its a new season. Records dont carry over. Although i do forsee us passing Detroit. BTW Detroit faced a crappy pitcher for Houston today and we wrecked their bullpen last night really making them go the distance, not a surprising win.

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 09:22 PM)
I'm sure a player would rather sit at home in a city that hates him, and isn't exactly a great place itself, than go to the playoffs in a place that would embrace him while sitting in his multi-million dollar mansion in the ridiculously wealthy suburbs of Detroit.

I guess Barry Sanders, the Detroit Pistons, Steve Yzerman and the Red Wings, and the like don't get any sponsorship deals...

Meanwhile Chicago stars like Michael Jordan and....um.....well...Michael Jordan are raking in the dough.

I'm not saying Detroit is a great place, I just don't understand the argument here, if a player is good enough he'll get tons of chances to rake in the cash whether he plays in New York or Tampa Bay.

Gosh I guess athletes like Brian Urlacher, Scottie Pippen, Sammy Sosa, Frank Thomas, Walter Payton just were unknown outside of the 312 area codes. Hey buddy your s*** stinks as well, detroit is a dump.

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
Bobby Abreu

Lynn Henning (Det News) on 1270 here in Detroit said he would be shocked if Detroit didnt land Bobby, or a similar type talent. He certainly thinks Gillick and Dombrowski are working on the Abreu deal. He said Sanchez and Monroe could get it done, but Philly wants Sanchez and Thames..

It's on fella's

Any acquisition the Tigers make doesn't necessarily translante to a better team. In 2003, the White Sox made a couple mid-season trades to bring in better players and it did not even translate into a division victory. The Twins--who didn't make a mentionable mid-season trade--still won the division that season.

The Twins were experienced in winning division races by that season, and the 2006 White Sox obviously know how to win a pennant race.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 08:28 PM)
Nice picture, Gacy however lived up in Northwest Chicago.

Chicago is Chicago......

OK I'll play along...Speck was from the South Side.

Anyway, the only reason I evven went there is fools dogging Detroit, not the Tigers, but the City. Why? Cause they cant dog the Tigers...

Back to baseball.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
Fact and perception are not the same. And again, I don't mean this in a spiteful way which is why this will be my last post in the line of discussion. When people think of Detroit, they think of Detroit not the suburbs of Detroit. I remember this past season in the NBA, the Sacremento Kings got in trouble during a ABC broadcast for showing shots of a Detroit ghetto during the Pistons intro in Sacremento. I just read about it, you probably know more about what happened than me. This is the image people perceive of Detroit. To be honest, Detroit is one of the few baseball stadiums in the Midwest that I have not visited. The perception of Detroit is what keeps me away. I may change my mind because I love baseball. To get a true measure of the perception of Detroit, ask people outside your city. This is what potential free agents and potential future players may see as well. I never questioned whether Detroit was a great sports town.

No I totally agree. The perception of Detroit is bad. One would be stupid to try and argue otherwise. But perception is not reality. Perception, particularly of those who haven't been to the city recently (or ever) is nothing more than a misinformed imagination.

The hardest part of selling Detroit is getting the original visit but once they see the town and spend some time in the area....it becomes very attractive to those who like city-life, the accompanying nightlife, the fresh water and the largest number of golf courses per capita in America but at the same time enjoy their privacy away from the media in an area that they can raise a family in a setting befitting of their lofty tax-bracket.

Their perception of metro-Detroit can turn 180 degrees in a single afternoon drive around town. But I completely understand what you're saying. A lot of folks, even in Michigan, were afraid of their own perceptions and realities of Detroit for the longest of times. It's not an easy thing to turn around.

Edited by JackTalkThai

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 09:24 PM)
Metro Detroit...not Detroit. Would you compare Naperville to the South Side? No!

I'm sick of fools resorting to the image of Detroit whenever they are behind in the standings. It's weak and an old bit. Back to baseball....the Tiger win again.

Hawkitis warned of the sickening, dreadful city of Detroit, saying, “…let's just say you better get out of the area ASAP. It's like Resident Evil with zombies, except they are bums in this case.”

To which you responded: “Just like the South Side. All cities have their despair.”

Which is an inaccurate description of Chicago’s South Side.

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 09:32 PM)
Chicago is Chicago......

OK I'll play along...Speck was from the South Side.

Anyway, the only reason I evven went there is fools dogging Detroit, not the Tigers, but the City. Why? Cause they cant dog the Tigers...

Back to baseball.

If you want to get back to baseball I suggest you stop with the serial killers, and linking them to the city. Thats not going to win you any friends here. You had some people trashing a city they have never been to. I have been to Detroit, some areas are nice some are not so nice. You can say the same about any major metropolitan city. Why get so thin skinned. If you have problems with the posters PM a mod or an admin if you feel that you are getting attacked.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 02:25 AM)
Have you been to Detroit its similar to Chicago, one side is nicer than the other. He said that metro detroit is similar to naperville and i completely agree.

Anyways, the Tigers are not going away, they can hit very well and they always have. I still dont think guys like Robertson and Maroth can keep it up all season but thats because I dont want them to, personally as a sox fan making the playoffs is a win in my book. It makes no difference in the playoffs if you are a division winner or wild card team, its a new season. Records dont carry over. Although i do forsee us passing Detroit. BTW Detroit faced a crappy pitcher for Houston today and we wrecked their bullpen last night really making them go the distance, not a surprising win.

Yea I have been there, I used to goto school in Kalamazoo so we would make plenty of trips east. Most of my friends were from the West Bloomfield/farmington hills area.......They showed me around detroit

Coney Island Hot Dogs was thier highlight to show me...oh and the few blocks around the stadiums....Sorry I misunderstood the term Metro Detroit.....

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 08:36 PM)
If you want to get back to baseball I suggest you stop with the serial killers, and linking them to the city. Thats not going to win you any friends here. You had some people trashing a city they have never been to. I have been to Detroit, some areas are nice some are not so nice. You can say the same about any major metropolitan city. Why get so thin skinned. If you have problems with the posters PM a mod or an admin if you feel that you are getting attacked.

I made my point. Thanks.