Official 2006 NBA Draft Thread

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 12:52 AM)
I'll say this, if we get the #1 pick next year (which is a good possibility) and Oden declares.... I can gladly say we'll have a couple of Bulls championships back here in Chicago.

I haven't seen much of Oden but I know the kid is a beast at like 7'0, 245.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
Still no need for tyrus thomas...

If Paxson thinks he's the guy with the most potential in this draft, he'll probably pick him.

Suprised you're not going down the LaMarcus = Chandler path here Sleepy. :D

Wow if this goes down, either way it looks like Ainge wants to wheel and deal tomorrow and not stay at #7;

Boston Herald - The Celtics discussed a trade for Allen Iverson a few weeks ago and on Tuesday and according to sources that have communicated with the Boston Herald, the club is working hard in an attempt to revive the negotiations.

Multiple members of the Celtics have been mentioned in trade scenarios, but Paul Pierce will surely not be included.

The Celtics have also been interested in dealing the number seven pick to Portland in exchange for Sebastian Telfair, but they are reportedly focusing their attention on Iverson.

To make the deal work financially, the Celtics would have to clear enough space for Iverson’s max contract, which will pay him a little more than $17 million for the coming season before finishing with some $20.8 million in 2008-09. That last year of the deal is at Iverson’s option.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 01:07 AM)
If Paxson thinks he's the guy with the most potential in this draft, he'll probably pick him.

Suprised you're not going down the LaMarcus = Chandler path here Sleepy. :D

If you're going to compare anyone to Tyson, it's Tyrus. There will be one pissed off Rowand if the Bulls take Thomas in this draft ;). I'm torn on who I want the Bulls to draft. IMO Brandon Roy is and will be the best player in this draft but the Bulls need for a big man still out weighs the need for a big guard(though we need one of those as well). I won't complain with Roy or LA but anything else and I won't be happy(I know this is one of Paxson's bigger concerns :)), unless there is a trade.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 06:22 PM)
If you're going to compare anyone to Tyson, it's Tyrus. There will be one pissed off Rowand if the Bulls take Thomas in this draft ;). I'm torn on who I want the Bulls to draft. IMO Brandon Roy is and will be the best player in this draft but the Bulls need for a big man still out weighs the need for a big guard(though we need one of those as well). I won't complain with Roy or LA but anything else and I won't be happy(I know this is one of Paxson's bigger concerns :)), unless there is a trade.

Well I went for the Tyson = LaMarcus comparison because in Aldridge's combine workout he only benchpressed 185 pounds 8 times. Compare that to someone like Shelden Williams who benchpressed that amount more than 24 times.

Roy will be the best player out of this draft in his rookie season, but long - term someone like Gay or Thomas will probably be better IMHO.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 03:34 AM)
Roy will be the best player out of this draft in his rookie season, but long - term someone like Gay or Thomas will probably be better IMHO.

Gay is a freak but I don't think he has the desire to be a great player and I don't even want to get in to everything I dislike about Thomas but lets just say I don't think highly of him.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 08:13 PM)
Gay is a freak but I don't think he has the desire to be a great player and I don't even want to get in to everything I dislike about Thomas but lets just say I don't think highly of him.

I think many people may have said that about Pippen when he came out. I think if he's under the right coach and motivated properly, Gay could easily be a superstar.

Interesting your thoughts on Thomas. It seems like Aldridge is the safe pick, won't be an all star but will be a solid NBA player, but Thomas could be, yet most Bulls fans won't to go for the safe option.

Kind of like the Dwight Howard / Emeka Okafor situation from 2 years ago.

On another topic, reading various mocks, I can only come up with 1 situation in which we're gonna get Gay. The top 4 teams CANNOT trade down, and Charlotte would have to take Morrison 3rd, while Portland takes Thomas or Aldridge 4th. Atlanta takes Williams at 5, and Minnesota Roy at 6. This allows us to trade up with Boston.

Looks like the Celts offer for Iverson includes Wally and the #7 pick. Billy King could probably get a Josh Smith or Al Harrington and a #5 pick instead, although I don't know if that would work out cap - wise.

Otherwise if they can't get Iverson, amazingly they may trade the #7 and Dan Dickau for Telfair, which is pretty much highway robbery Portland's way. Or they could use part of a trade exception. Either way, seems like Ainge is hellbent on acquiring some sore of point guard today, whether it's drafting or trading for one.

There was also a rumor of the Bulls trading the 16th for Marquis Daniels from Dallas, but apparently the Bulls brass don't like Daniels contract which has another 3 years and $19M on it. I think it would be a good deal for you guys though, especially if Daniels can get back into the form he showed in his rookie season.

Jamaal Magliore seems like he won't be with the Brewers by the end of the day. Washington could trade the 18th pick for him.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 08:07 AM)
Looks like the Celts offer for Iverson includes Wally and the #7 pick. Billy King could probably get a Josh Smith or Al Harrington and a #5 pick instead, although I don't know if that would work out cap - wise.

Otherwise if they can't get Iverson, amazingly they may trade the #7 and Dan Dickau for Telfair, which is pretty much highway robbery Portland's way. Or they could use part of a trade exception. Either way, seems like Ainge is hellbent on acquiring some sore of point guard today, whether it's drafting or trading for one.

There was also a rumor of the Bulls trading the 16th for Marquis Daniels from Dallas, but apparently the Bulls brass don't like Daniels contract which has another 3 years and $19M on it. I think it would be a good deal for you guys though, especially if Daniels can get back into the form he showed in his rookie season.

Jamaal Magliore seems like he won't be with the Brewers by the end of the day. Washington could trade the 18th pick for him.

wow the brewers are in the NBA now?!

in regards to the daniels deal it would work out for the bulls but if you can draft someone with potential like Sene why trade the pick when there may be a chance to snag someone in free agency

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 10:15 PM)
wow the brewers are in the NBA now?!

in regards to the daniels deal it would work out for the bulls but if you can draft someone with potential like Sene why trade the pick when there may be a chance to snag someone in free agency

Brewers, Bucks they both start with B I guess. :D :bang

I suppose it would depend on whether Chicago would be sure they could bring in a taller swingman in FA. If they get Harrington and Pryzibilla, they may need to draft one.

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
i see tonight being very up for grabs in terms of trading and teams posturing so guys may fall further than expected and just an overall insanity; i just hope we dont have to see Steven A. Smith and/or Dickie V. for an extended period of time

I heard Dickie V is already on the dissing Bargnani bandwagon. Oh Dickie how is your prediction that Orlando would pay for not picking Okafor 2 years ago looking right now..... idiot.

But you're right that this draft will be so interesting tonight, not because it's a great draft, but because it's so wide open that so many teams could be moving up and down and we'll probably see a lot more trades than usual.

A couple of things:

Rudy Gay has no heart whatsoever. He suffers from what I like to call the "Frank Williams sydrome". He has tons of talent, he's gifted, but yet he doesn't try for 80% of the game. He thinks he could turn it on whenever he wants and most of the time, he's just disinterested in the game. Not really trying to assert himself. Not because he's shy or quiet, he just doesn't have the will power to dominate like he should. Gay is the reason why UConn didn't go all the way. His teammates bailed him out all season at UConn and it finally caught up to them.

2)Bulls will probably take Thomas, though he has Tyson Chandler written all over him. Aldridge would be a better pick IMO though.

3)ESPN knows jack about the NBA draft. They constantly jockride all college players and their rankings are way off, especially for Bilas. Randy Foye #1 overall? I love the guy's talent and all, but um, no! And they say Bargnani has the least potential out of all of the potential draftees. Makes me wonder if they even watch basketball games other than the tourney games.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
:cheers :notworthy

:headshake :headshake

This is why I think Tyrus is a Tyson clone. Both don't have much offensive game to speak of. Tyrus can't shoot despite what he showed in that 30 minute workout. It's just like when Andre Iguodala did shooting drills for several teams 2 years ago. He was red hot, had the right mechanics and teams thought he could actually shoot. That's not the case (In no way am I dogging Iggy either because he's a fav player of mine). Both Ty and Ty accelerate at rebounding and their only forms of offense are putbacks. Thomas moves with a little more fluidity, but that's about it. Only thing I'll say is that Tyrus is shorter, so I could easily see him being a Josh Smith, especially since he's said he sees himself as a "3" moreso than a "4". Josh Smith isn't a bad player, but we don't need a Josh Smith on this team.

Tyrus can't shoot despite what he showed in that 30 minute workout.

Tyrus actually has very solid range and showed it off all year long. I would compare Tyrus to a better Udonis Haslem, very similar games, but Tyrus is half an inch taller, and has even more athletecism, but a similar jumpshot that keeps defenses honest.

I can't wait for the Bulls to draft the FUTURE tonight with Tyrus Thomas and have everyone and their little brother cry in here on how they will never be a Bulls fan again, how it was the worst pick ever, how bad they wanted L.A. even though he'll be lucky to be drafted in the top 10....if ESPN overhyped anybody, it was Alderidge. Hell, before the lottery, there was a lot of people in here that warranted him as the #1 overall pick. :lol: All of that whine and maybe even a little throw in on how we need to start Jerry Owens over Pods in Left.

The same people that will have Thomas sigs by Thanksgiving next year.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
I can't wait for the Bulls to draft the FUTURE tonight with Tyrus Thomas and have everyone and their little brother cry in here on how they will never be a Bulls fan again, how it was the worst pick ever, how bad they wanted L.A. even though he'll be lucky to be drafted in the top 10....if ESPN overhyped anybody, it was Alderidge. Hell, before the lottery, there was a lot of people in here that warranted him as the #1 overall pick. :lol: All of that whine and maybe even a little throw in on how we need to start Jerry Owens over Pods in Left.

The same people that will have Thomas sigs by Thanksgiving next year.

And when Tyrus Thomas averages 3 ppg and 9 rpg in 3 years, I will send you a PM saying "TYSON f***ING CHANDLER!"

And if ESPN overhyped anyone, it was Randy Foye and JJ Redick.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxFan1 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
I havent read every post so sorry if this is repeated, but I just heard from another message board that talks have heated up between minnesota and chicago in which chicago would trade their 2 1st round picks along with Loul Deng for Kevin Garnett.

It wouldn't happen until Mid-July because of Salary cap issues.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
And when Tyrus Thomas averages 3 ppg and 9 rpg in 3 years, I will send you a PM saying "TYSON f***ING CHANDLER!"

And if ESPN overhyped anyone, it was Randy Foye and JJ Redick.

Be my guest to pm me, but I'm not gonna take the time to pm everyone that strokes Alderidge on this board in 3 years and say "f***ING CRAP"

It easy to judge Chandler now, but at the time of his draft and his endless upside, I'd do that trade again in a heartbeat. The upside would have been Duncan/Robinson, we are experiencing the downside right now and still have made the playoffs more than Elton Brand.

Soxtalk is the only website in the nation that has Alderidge going above 5, kinda low for a "safe" pick in this draft. Bulls should go after titles, not "SAFE" We are not gonna be in Grant Park next year unless Pax pulls a miracle trade to get Gordon outta here.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxFan1 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
I havent read every post so sorry if this is repeated, but I just heard from another message board that talks have heated up between minnesota and chicago in which chicago would trade their 2 1st round picks along with Loul Deng for Kevin Garnett.

:headshake :banghead :headshake

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)
Be my guest to pm me, but I'm not gonna take the time to pm everyone that strokes Alderidge on this board in 3 years and say "f***ING CRAP"

It easy to judge Chandler now, but at the time of his draft and his endless upside, I'd do that trade again in a heartbeat. The upside would have been Duncan/Robinson, we are experiencing the downside right now and still have made the playoffs more than Elton Brand.

Soxtalk is the only website in the nation that has Alderidge going above 5, kinda low for a "safe" pick in this draft. Bulls should go after titles, not "SAFE" We are not gonna be in Grant Park next year unless Pax pulls a miracle trade to get Gordon outta here.

:headshake :banghead :headshake

O RLY?

http://www.draftexpress.com/mock.php?y=2006

http://nbadraft.net/

Both of those at #4.

Oh, how about this one...Stephen A Smith reported at 1:30 that the Bulls and Aldridge's agent have reached an agreement that the Bulls will draft Aldridge at #2.

And that facvt that you would do Chandler for Brand again is absolutely ridiculous. One of the worst trades ever. Honestly. He averaged 20/10 in his first 2 season but we traded him for a scrawny PF out of high school with no offensive game at all. SWEET! Yeah, Duncan and Robinson part 2. Now one is rotting away in New York and the other is a bench player making a s***load of money. I f***ing hate when people bring up the Chandler/Brand trade.

Edited by SoxFan1