March Insanity

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)
Don't f***in touch the NCAA tourny. It's absolutely perfect.

Indeed. There's no reason to make the majority of the regular season pointless. Good teams that have a legit shot rarely get snubbed anymore.

There's no way that there are 128 teams good enough to fill a field. Hell, it's already a little too easy if you're a major conference team. You can sleep walk through half the year and still make the tournament because you have one decent win and finish 17-14. Just because there are about 4 mid-majors every year that might have a case doesn't mean they need to expand the field again.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Dan Shanoff of ESPN's Page 2 had an idea of including all of the Divison I teams. It's kind of a three or four tiered thing.

Top 32 teams get a bye through to the final 64. The rest fight it out to get the last 32 spots and then it's the same as usual. He suggests that this will create more George Mason scenarios (although didn't mention them directly) and would get the smaller schools more tv time.

I like the idea to a point, but does Chicago State, Quinnipiac and IUPUFW really need to play another game to show that they don't deserve to play in the tournament? Would people actually watch a Robert Morris-Stephen F. Austin showdown? Methinks not.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
Dan Shanoff of ESPN's Page 2 had an idea of including all of the Divison I teams. It's kind of a three or four tiered thing.

Top 32 teams get a bye through to the final 64. The rest fight it out to get the last 32 spots and then it's the same as usual. He suggests that this will create more George Mason scenarios (although didn't mention them directly) and would get the smaller schools more tv time.

I like the idea to a point, but does Chicago State, Quinnipiac and IUPUFW really need to play another game to show that they don't deserve to play in the tournament? Would people actually watch a Robert Morris-Stephen F. Austin showdown? Methinks not.

At the rate they're going, that's the only way that Northwestern is going to ever get in the tournament. :P

I agree the NCAA tourney is perfect right now. Honestly by the time the Elite 8 rolls around, and my picks are toast, I'm kind of sick of watching the games unless the Illini or a huge underdog (George mason) is still playing. If they expanded it I would just get bored sonner.