• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 02:21 AM)
Great ... more Jabroni-esque stupidity.

Thanks for the contribution.

Oh, and ... nice avatar

poor JIMh, you rely on green more than anyone i know...

and you should love the avatar...i put it there because of you

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
I This is only Javy's second time playing with a winning team, for the good part of career he has played on bad teams. When he starts to realize that the Sox will win games for him as long as he keeps it close, he will start being less hard on himself.

This is an excellent point. He has been on teams that weren't able to pick him up. I don't sign the checks. I don't give a s*** how much he gets paid. I'd take him over any other 5th starter in the league, if only for his stuff alone.

I've updated a chart I made at the time of the trade to include Javy's starts this year. This calc's his ERA for each start, and counts how many games are quality (

Javy remains the little girl with the curl, when he's good he's very good, when he's bad he's terrible. This year is consistant with his past years, whether plays on a good team or a bad team. I think the White Sox are getting exactly what was expected.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
If I'm not right and Javy is still pitching like crap in August and September, I'll be the first to call for a trade.

If he is pitching that badly, that late, it is too late. FWIW The non-waiver tradeing deadline is July 31, and with us most likely being one of the best records in baseball, odds are many teams will try to block deals for us, to try to prevent us from repeating.

poor JIMh, you rely on green more than anyone i know...

and you should love the avatar...i put it there because of you

Next time I'll leave out the green and see if you can figure it out, I doubt it, but let's try it.

Your Tribe avatar sucks. Have a nice day jiiiyeah LOLzers.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 05:12 AM)
FWIW The non-waiver tradeing deadline is July 31, and with us most likely being one of the best records in baseball, odds are many teams will try to block deals for us, to try to prevent us from repeating.

Yes, I meant this winter. Obviously, KW isn't going to deal Javy after the deadline... or even before.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 07:03 AM)
I've updated a chart I made at the time of the trade to include Javy's starts this year. This calc's his ERA for each start, and counts how many games are quality (

Javy remains the little girl with the curl, when he's good he's very good, when he's bad he's terrible. This year is consistant with his past years, whether plays on a good team or a bad team. I think the White Sox are getting exactly what was expected.

I love the chart, but I think it shows that JV has not readjusted well to the American League.

Here's the percentage breakdown for your categories (I'm leaving out his first year):

1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006

Quality 30% 36% 56% 47% 50% 31% 48% 46%

Meh 26% 42% 12% 29% 29% 40% 21% 13%

Horrible 42% 21% 31% 23% 20% 28% 30% 46%

He has by far the highest percentage of Horrible games outside his first two years in the league (I tossed the first year). His quality starts are about his norm. What he's been unable to do is keep from blowing up in games -- from keeping Meh starts from turning into Horrible ones.

I think part of his adjustment is getting in his head Ozzie's management style. Ozzie is one of the only managers in baseball that sends all his starters out for their 100-115 pitch workload and lets the chips fall where they may. If the starter pitches well, he's going to have every opportunity to get the win. But if he slacks or gets shelled, he's still got to put in the work.

In the long run, this has advantages. It forces the starters to take complete responsibility for the games they start. Ozzie is telling them -- hey, this is your game to win. Also, since the hook is based on a pitch count and not innings, pitchers will maximize their chances of winning games by conserving pitches and lasting later into games.

But for pitchers used to seeing a hook at the first sign of trouble, especially in the middle innings, it can also be unnerving. Ozzie's not going to throw you a life jacket until you've thrown your 100+ pitches, even though we have someone in McCarthy who should be able to pitch 2-3 innings every couple of days and get our often-shaky starters off the hook.

It remains to be seen whether JV will develop the mental toughness to buy into Ozzie's (and Coop's) approach. I think we have to give him the second half to find out.