Memo to Jim Thome: Please adjust to Inside Pitch

Hangar18

Pitchers foolish enough to throw you something down the middle are few and far between.

The others have decided to pitch you inside, inside, inside inside, until you get yourself out. Please take the Walks like you were doing early in the year, your trying to hit a homer on every pitch doesnt always work. Thanks and Good Luck

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oswalt aced him a few times but nevertheless Thome's mechanics are a bit off. He is in between on some pitches and he's not getting his hands in the right place for the inside pitches. He has an adjustment to make and he will. All he tries to do is hit the ball hard, he is too good of a player and teammate to accuse of trying to hit a HR every at bat.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 11:21 AM)
Pitchers foolish enough to throw you something down the middle are few and far between.

The others have decided to pitch you inside, inside, inside inside, until you get yourself out. Please take the Walks like you were doing early in the year, your trying to hit a homer on every pitch doesnt always work. Thanks and Good Luck

1st in AL in HR

2nd in AL in R

8th in AL in OBP

4th in AL in OPS

4th in AL in RBI

4th in AL in BB

2nd in AL in SLG

Yes, he needs your advice.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
He has an adjustment to make and he will.

Hopefully he doesnt spend the rest of the season trying to adjust to the inside pitch. Thome is just as dangerous taking walks and Frustrating the Pitcher to the point they try to sneak a fastball by him is what made him very Frank Thomas-like in April. Every mistake he scorched, of course this is the AL, the pitchers arent foolish the 2nd time around. Im thinking he hasnt been in the AL for a while so its taking him some getting used to again. But we need him to do so ........... Going 0 for 6 last nite hurt us very much, any kind of hit probably wins us the game.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
1st in AL in HR

2nd in AL in R

8th in AL in OBP

4th in AL in OPS

4th in AL in RBI

4th in AL in BB

2nd in AL in SLG

Yes, he needs your advice.

That was quite an APRIL/early MAY he had didnt he?

But we need him to do so ........... Going 0 for 6 last nite hurt us very much, any kind of hit probably wins us the game.

No question.

The good news is, he is probably a lot more frustrated by his results last nite than we are, and it's a safe bet that he's working extremely hard to prepare for these next two series.

He is an extremely proud guy who hates failure and his head is screwed on straight. Frankly he's about the last guy I'm worried about.

Did you honestly think he was going to hit .310 with 60 HR's and 150 RBI? Delusional fans are awesome.

I expected .280, 40-45 HR's and 110 RBI. I see no reason why that won't happen. I'm happy with what he has been doing. If you weren't prepared for him to strike out a lot then I'm not sure what to say to you.

This is vintage Jim Thome. With his long swing, there are going to be long periods of time where he looks just pathetic at the plate. The trade off is when he gets it going, there aren't many who are scarier, especially with the guys hitting behind him forcing the pitchers to throw the ball near the plate.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 12:01 PM)
Did you honestly think he was going to hit .310 with 60 HR's and 150 RBI? Delusional fans are awesome.

I expected .280, 40-45 HR's and 110 RBI. I see no reason why that won't happen. I'm happy with what he has been doing. If you weren't prepared for him to strike out a lot then I'm not sure what to say to you.

I didnt know what to expect from him entering the season. But that first month, watching the way he Selected his Pitches and Crushed balls, .310, 60HRs and 150 RBI was a certainty...............

Going about things the way hes doing, he wont hit those numbers.

Lately it seems like he is guessing a bit at the plate. Earlier in the season we seen a few opposite/center field homeruns and I think thats a good indicator of how comfortable he is at the plate. He seems to be out in front of alot more pitches instead of waiting back on them a bit. That being said, I think he'll be fine and like JimH pointed out, he's definitely aware of the fact he went 0-6 with 4 K's last night and he'll make what adjustments he needs to make.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 12:07 PM)
I didnt know what to expect from him entering the season. But that first month, watching the way he Selected his Pitches and Crushed balls, .310, 60HRs and 150 RBI was a certainty...............

Going about things the way hes doing, he wont hit those numbers.

You realize that those are amazingly unexpectable numbers.

He'll only hit .285, 50 HR, and 120 RBI while being an All-Star. Pshhhh, garbage. :rolly

He single handedly won us a game where we had one hit, his and it left the park.

I thought the old man screaming strikeout king on Tuesday when Thome got up was the only Thome basher, then Hangar enters the thread.

Thome makes everyone around him better. Last year our offense was brutal. We had 2, count them 2 months outside of hte postseason where we hit good. They were when we had a thumper, who had a poor average and some homers in the lineup named Frank Thomas. This year we add a thumper who is hitting better than that, and everyone around him is having a banner year. Coincidence?

I understand the frustration with Thome sometimes. He really can look terrible once in a while, but he'll hit like 8 homers in a week soon enough, and that's what we want from him.

And I actually expect him to hit 50 homers this year. I'd be a little disappointed with less, especially after his start.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 01:02 PM)
I think part of it also stems from Thome not being as selective. He seems to be swinging at a lot more first pitches lately and I know I've heard him say before, that when he's at his best, he's really selective waiting for his pitch.

Actually, I've seen the opposite out of him lately. He's waiting and being too selective.

Pitch #1 : strike down the middle (taken)

Pitch #2 : ball outside

Pitch #3 : fouled off an inside pitch or called strike

Pitch #4 : ball outside

Pitch #5 : called strike three

Edited by knightni

and it would be nice if jim could close his stance and put the ball down the third base line. During that 13 inning game, it would have been nice to see him hit a single down the line and then bring in a pinch runner and work the small ball

anyways keep up the good work

Thome was very frustrating to watch last night, but he's a streaky hitter. He'll be fine.

Although that's what I loved about Frank Thomas. If they pitched him in, he'd adjust and start hitting the inside pitch. If they pitch him away, he makes the adjustment. That's what made him such a great hitter.

I don't know much about Thome though> I don't know if we just need to wait it out until he gets hot or if he's good at making those adjustments. I'm going to say he isn't one to make adjustments because his swing is the same every time. Frank had a different stance every week (slight exaggeration).