Memo to Jim Thome: Please adjust to Inside Pitch

Hangar18

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 09:41 PM)
I love how he went the other way with one of his hits. Thats something that was missing during his mini-funk.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 09:41 PM)
Which means he's getting ready to bust a hot string, IMO.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 12:07 AM)
LOL, that sounds so....wrong!

Post of the Month right here... :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 12:07 PM)
I didnt know what to expect from him entering the season. But that first month, watching the way he Selected his Pitches and Crushed balls, .310, 60HRs and 150 RBI was a certainty...............

Going about things the way hes doing, he wont hit those numbers.

Obviously?

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 09:41 PM)
I love how he went the other way with one of his hits. Thats something that was missing during his mini-funk.

I think he could go opposite field more if he wanted to. They play that crazy shift on him for a reason though. He's paid to hit the ball out of the ballpark, not to bloop singles into left field.

It's like last year when people were asking why doesn't Ortiz lay down a bunt down the 3rd base line. It's because he's paid to hit the long ball and drive runs in, not get on by bunts.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)
This is vintage Jim Thome. With his long swing, there are going to be long periods of time where he looks just pathetic at the plate. The trade off is when he gets it going, there aren't many who are scarier, especially with the guys hitting behind him forcing the pitchers to throw the ball near the plate.

yes...i also seem to remember that jim thome July's are when he's hottest. I remember one a couple of years ago where he had like 13 HRs.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 08:13 PM)
Thome is looking much better at the plate tonight, imo. He's taking the close pitches and even taking some strikes (that aren't good hitters pitches). I think he's close to getting back on a tear.

(crossing fingers)

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 10:49 AM)
Crossing Fingers for what? That you wont start another pointless thread? That Thome will hit .340 with 85 dingers?

Crossing my fingers at last response, which said Thome was taking close pitches and not swinging at the good pitchers pitches. Whats wrong with that? Please define "pointless thread". Your posts tend to be pointless, but I dont interrupt the flow of a thread to say that, I simply dont say anything. Anyway,

If Thome starts doing what he was doing in April, refusing to swing at everything for the sake of swinging,

and takes his Walks, he will start to see More Strikes for sure, because pitchers wont want to walk him to face Konerko & Dye consecutively. Whats wrong with that assertion? (Answer: Nothing)

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
Can we stop telling hall of fame batters how to bat. Just seems odd to me.

So you dont think at some point, someone has mentioned to Thome that hes getting himself out swinging at all of the inside pitches hes seeing? Ive yet to see him hit one of those out of the park. If he gets himself back on track, and remember that he doesnt have to hit everything out of the park, he will be ok.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)
Crossing my fingers at last response, which said Thome was taking close pitches and not swinging at the good pitchers pitches. Whats wrong with that? Please define "pointless thread". Your posts tend to be pointless, but I dont interrupt the flow of a thread to say that, I simply dont say anything. Anyway,

If Thome starts doing what he was doing in April, refusing to swing at everything for the sake of swinging,

and takes his Walks, he will start to see More Strikes for sure, because pitchers wont want to walk him to face Konerko & Dye consecutively. Whats wrong with that assertion? (Answer: Nothing)

Pointless thread: Asking a player to stop producing the way he has been producing his whole hall of fame career. Giving one of the best hitter in the league advice on how to hit. Starting a thread and then continuing to show that you know nothing about Jim Thome and how he has played the game his whole career.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)
Pointless thread: Asking a player to stop producing the way he has been producing his whole hall of fame career. Giving one of the best hitter in the league advice on how to hit. Starting a thread and then continuing to show that you know nothing about Jim Thome and how he has played the game his whole career.

....and you continueing to show that you knew nothing of the SPIRIT OF THE THREAD, which said he needs to stop getting himself out with a certain pitch, go back to doing what he was doing in April, I believe he thinks he has to hit a HR every at bat. He cant. His taking a walk is just as important and FORCES pitchers to eventually having to again throw strikes to him. Where did I say "stop" producing? Where did I say "Memo to Thome: Stop hitting homeruns, walks are more important". Im looking and I cant find where I said that. Im sure I didnt, though I could be wrong. I know how Thome has played his whole career, and I hate strikeouts, especially ones where all your doing is swinging for the fences.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 11:11 AM)
I know how Thome has played his whole career, and I hate strikeouts, especially ones where all your doing is swinging for the fences.
Seriously, once again proving you know nothing about jim Thome and the way he plays the game.

Jim Thome

2006 .284 BA .414 OBP .608 SLG 1.022 OPS

Career .281 .408 .564 .972

Thome has struck out over 139 times 9 seasons in a row. It would have been 10 if he wasnt hurt last year. His 162 games avg for his career is 164 K's with his high being 185. He has hit over .300 only three times. This is the best season he has had since 2002. At his current pace he is projected to hit 53 HR and 139 RBI's. Over his career he has avg 40 HR and 111 RBI.

Since he is having one of his best years to date, and is just in line if not better than his career numbers, I would say your criticism of his production and his approach to batting is unjustified and baseless. If you would like to please counter point these facts and statistics, I would encourage you to do so. But your opinion based drabble and unnecessary advice is really ridiculous. Thanks

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
Seriously, once again proving you know nothing about jim Thome and the way he plays the game.

Jim Thome

2006 .284 BA .414 OBP .608 SLG 1.022 OPS

Career .281 .408 .564 .972

Thome has struck out over 139 times 9 seasons in a row. It would have been 10 if he wasnt hurt last year. His 162 games avg for his career is 164 K's with his high being 185.

If you would like to please counter point these facts and statistics, I would encourage you to do so. But your opinion based drabble and unnecessary advice is really ridiculous. Thanks

So what your saying, is that since Thome ALWAYS and HISTORICALLY strikes out, just go ahead and let him continue to do so? No need to wax poetic at the way the pitchers seemed to have adjusted to Thome the last few weeks? To wring our hands at an 0 for 6 with 4 K's is "opinion based .....and unnecessary?"

Why have Message Boards. Tell us something new Mr. Raines, please!

To take your point further, can you imagine if the SOX followed your advice regarding AJ Pierzynski? Heck the guy "historically" before joining the SOX has hit somewhere in the .250's with 12 (or so) Homers being his career high in HR's last year. So for us to have been mad that he struck out a few times last season would again be "opinion based and pure drabble?" Really? You dont say? Well Im sure glad Mr Rock Raines has showed us the light, I wont be so mad when Brian Anderson strikes out on a curveball, because shooot .............. his MLB average is currently around .200 correct? To offer "opinion based drabble" is ridiculous and unnecessary

right?

Pardon me if I dont take your advice, AJ last season hit "above" his historic averages for Home Runs last season, and this season, is well above his historic averages in Batting Average. Methinks that has something to do with people offering him "advice" on what he was doing wrong all those years, and most likely, taking some pitches. AJ seems to be a much smarter hitter since joining the SOX, im sure it has something to do with Greg Walker offering some advice ........("Ok Hangar, so your saying its only advice thats making AJ better? Ha, you are an idiot, you know nothing of the game of baseball if you think that")

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
To take your point further, can you imagine if the SOX followed your advice regarding AJ Pierzynski? Heck the guy "historically" before joining the SOX has hit somewhere in the .250's with 12 (or so) Homers being his career high in HR's last year.

Do you ever stop being wrong? AJ has hit in the .250's ONCE in his career and that was with the sox.

Also Thome is a HOF'er. He has historically been one of the most prolific power hitters of this generation. Go ahead and give him "advice" on striking out, im sure thats a huge problem considering his .400+ OBP all these years. :rolly

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
1st in AL in HR

2nd in AL in R

8th in AL in OBP

4th in AL in OPS

4th in AL in RBI

4th in AL in BB

2nd in AL in SLG

Yes, he needs your advice.

maybe I should just go back to this one.