What was the worst trade in baseball history?

thedoctor

i was debating this with a few friends the other night and they came up with some doozies:

-brock for broglio (obviously)

-pedro martinez for delino deshields

-sandberg and bowa for ivan dejesus

-tom seaver for pat zachary and doug flynn

-curt schilling, steve finley, and pete harnisch for glenn davis

anyways, those were a few we brought up. they mentioned sosa for george bell as well.

what are yours?

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 05:49 PM)
Don't forget Bagwell for Anderson or

Smoltz for Doyle Alexander.

we talked about the smoltz deal. long-term it's no doubt that was a bad deal. but in the short term, alexander went like 9-0 with a 1.53 era in 11 starts. he was no doubt a key part of that tiger season.

but long-term it was bad. if you are into the sabermetrics thing, i think it was one of the worst deals ever in terms of win-shares exchanged. i'm no expert on that though. i've just been told that.

I was just talking to a co-worker about the Bell/Sosa trade.

Can you really consider it a "bad" trade? Bell was brought in to produce right away. You don't bring in a George Bell as a long term option. Plus the Sox would of had to deal with another PR nightmare in Sosa. The Tribune would of never fell for Sosa's tricks if he was still on the Sox. They'd call him out on the steroids, the wife beating, and the mysterious brown paper bag full of money right away.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 01:52 PM)
The White Sox were originally pegged to get him while giving up Joe Jackson and 60,000$. But the Red Sox took the 100,000 instead. How dumb. This is clearly the worst deal ever.

Damn, that would have worked out a lot better for the Red Sox.

Most of the really bad ones were youngsters for older more established veterans, so I have a hard time criticizing the people that made those that much. They clearly had no clue that Brock, Smoltz, Bagwell, and others were going to be as good as they became. It's hard to predict success for young players most of the time.

Another one that looks really bad right now is Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano. Kazmir was one of those can't miss type young pitchers, and Zambrano is clearly mediocre. That one looked dumb from the start.

QUOTE(zygoat @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
what was the palmerio deal with the cubs?? didnt the cubs give him away because he wasnt a power hitter. I remember they traded him for some scrub on the orioles

He was traded cuz he got caught banging Sandbergs wife...surpirsing, mayb it was a twin brother...just like he didnt take 'roids...

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see a lot of really lopsided deals here... can anyone think of some deal that made both teams worse?

the 2004 Marlins-Dodgers trade was about as pointless as you could get.

The Dodgers got rid of Mota (who turned into s*** for the next 1.5 years with the Marlins,) their "heart and soul" Paul Lo Duca (traded away for scraps this past offseason,) and Juan Encarnacion (who was traded to the Dodgers in the offseason.)

The Marlins got rid of Hee Flop Choi (who was acquired 8 months before that and had one hot month. Claimed off waivers last offseason,) Brad Penny (Pitched 3 games for them spanning less than 12 innings and even lost on a 2 hitter,) and Bill Murphy (who was later used to get Steve Finley.)

The Marlins flopped, got nothing in return this past offseason for Mota, Lo Duca or Encarnacion.

The Dodgers nearly missed the playoffs, and Paul Depodesta was fired after the 2005 season.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 27, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
their "heart and soul" Paul Lo Duca (traded away for scraps this past offseason,)

got nothing in return this past offseason for Mota, Lo Duca

Gaby Hernandez - 3.94 ERA, 91.3 IP, 90 H, 7 HR, 26 BB 91 K at High-A

20 years old

Not sure how you can say they got nothing for Lo Duca

Mota was also part of the trade that brought in Hanley Ramirez..not only was he Boston's top prospect, but he started off hotter than hell too. He's only hitting like .185 in June, but inconsistency is to be expected out of young players.

Brad Penny (Pitched 3 games for them spanning less than 12 innings and even lost on a 2 hitter,)

If you're talking about the after effects of Mota, Lo Duca, and Encarnacion, you have to look at the after effects of Penny too. He was injured a lot of last year, but still put up a sub 4.00 ERA and won 7 games for a mediocre Dodger team. This year, he's putting up a line of 8-2 with a 3.06 ERA and a 1.21 WHIP, with a solid K/BB ratio.

I do however agree that it was pretty much a bad trade for both teams in 2004, as they both were worse because of it.

Edited by witesoxfan