Scientists Ok Gore's Movie for Accuracy

jasonxctf

Just got back from the movie. It's really good and entertaining. Al Gore is so different in this than he was in 2000 (had he been this relaxed and charming then, he would have won in a landslide). Anyway, the movie was really well done and thought provoking, I do recommend it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Uh-oh, trees may grow on Antarctica within a century

Trees could grow in Antarctica within century: scientist

Wed Jul 12, 1:30 PM ET

SYDNEY (AFP) - Trees could be growing in the Antarctic within a century because of global warming, an international scientific conference heard.

With carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere set to double in the next 100 years, the icy continent could revert to how it looked about 40 million years ago, said Professor Robert Dunbar of Stanford University.

"It was warm and there were bushes and there were trees," he told some 850 delegates in the Tasmanian capital Hobart, the national AAP news agency reported.

The delegates are attending the combined meetings of the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research and the Council of Managers of National Antarctic Programs.

Dunbar said climate experts were predicting a doubling of the levels of carbon dioxide by 2100, "but it actually looks like it's going to come sooner unfortunately."

Scientists blame greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, produced mainly by the burning of fossil fuels such as coal and oil, for causing rising temperatures worldwide.

On the plus side, at least that means more oxygen in the atmosphere. . .

• 2 weeks later...

So, on the global warming again: did anyone see the Global Warming special on Discovery this week? I caught about half of it on the first showing, and watched it again tonight. Very interesting (and scary and sad).

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 09:31 PM)
So, on the global warming again: did anyone see the Global Warming special on Discovery this week? I caught about half of it on the first showing, and watched it again tonight. Very interesting (and scary and sad).

Damn I wanted to watch it, but we took Madison to her second county fair (in two days :)) How was it?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:25 AM)
Damn I wanted to watch it, but we took Madison to her second county fair (in two days :)) How was it?

Not as good as a county fair (haha).

It was well done and entertaining. I would recommend it if it comes on again. They interviewed a lot of experts, which was nice, the science was more indepth than the Al Gore movie, but still very accessible. But it was pretty scary, especially when they were talking about the little islands in the pacific that will probably be gone in the next century, as well as all the major cities that are threatened. Saddest part was about polar bears and how the diminishing sea ice is wreaking havoc on their feeding patterns and how more and more cubs aren't making it out of adolescence. The polor bearologist said that due to consistently decreasing body mass, polar bears may be extinct in the wild in 30 years because the females won't have enough body fat to breed.

(Yeah, that's right, I said polar bear extinction is sadder than losing NYC)

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
Not as good as a county fair (haha).

It was well done and entertaining. I would recommend it if it comes on again. They interviewed a lot of experts, which was nice, the science was more indepth than the Al Gore movie, but still very accessible. But it was pretty scary, especially when they were talking about the little islands in the pacific that will probably be gone in the next century, as well as all the major cities that are threatened. Saddest part was about polar bears and how the diminishing sea ice is wreaking havoc on their feeding patterns and how more and more cubs aren't making it out of adolescence. The polor bearologist said that due to consistently decreasing body mass, polar bears may be extinct in the wild in 30 years because the females won't have enough body fat to breed.

The fair was fun. The best part was taking her through the animal/4H barns. She gets such a kick out of the animals.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 07:38 AM)
Saddest part was about polar bears and how the diminishing sea ice is wreaking havoc on their feeding patterns and how more and more cubs aren't making it out of adolescence. The polor bearologist said that due to consistently decreasing body mass, polar bears may be extinct in the wild in 30 years because the females won't have enough body fat to breed.

Godless killing machines...serves em right!

Has anyone caught the Manbearpig South Park episode with Al Gore? It was somewhat funny although they make it sound like he made up global warming. Really can't stand the guy tho.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:38 AM)

How about we speed up this "global warming" stuff? It eliminates half our wildcard competition!

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)
Just got back from the movie. It's really good and entertaining. Al Gore is so different in this than he was in 2000 (had he been this relaxed and charming then, he would have won in a landslide). Anyway, the movie was really well done and thought provoking, I do recommend it.

Who needs charm when you invented the internet?