Interesting article in the Trib

SoxFan76

Link

There is something special happening in this town, and it’s getting overlooked because it’s becoming routine—the White Sox winning.

As frustrated as I get about the media coverage and how everyone wants to focus on Ozzie and not the team...one has to realize that there isn't that much to talk about! Fire Ozzie? Nope. Send one of the regulars down to the minors and bring up a young prospect? Nope. Pitching troubles? Nope. Baserunning troubles? Nope. Lack of speed? Nope. I could keep going. What is there to talk about?

Brick Tamlin, radio host: "The White Sox won again last night. They are really good. There are no holes in that team. Your thoughts?"

Shamus O'Toole from Beverly: "Yeah, first time caller, I'd just like to say that I agree, the Sox are really good."

Radio host: "...so anyways"

Now don't get me wrong, the media could spend a lot more time talking about how almost every player on the 25 man roster could deserve a spot on the All-Star team, but the fact of the matter is there is not much to talk about. Let's just enjoy the ride.

people are starting to realize that the sox know how to win adn will continue winning for many years wiht this lineup and style of play

lets just hope that im still able to get tickets in the next couple years (just kidding........i hope)

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 10:06 AM)
When the Bears were great, and the Bulls were on their run there just wasn't anything to talk about. If the Sox being so good is an excuse for inferior media coverage, how come the Blackhawks don't get any ink?

Even though it may seem like it, I'm not trying to give the media a free pass. There's still plenty to talk about, but the media is known to be lazy. It would take too much effort to make some comparisons between a slumping Podsednik and a Jerry Owens...the potential leadoff man of the future. Or for reporters to go take a look at Ryan Sweeney. That would take too much effort. In that respect, I say f the media. haha

But as far as everyday things going on with the team itself, how much is there to say? A team that wins consistently and has no holes makes for a bland conversation.

QUOTE(SnB @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 11:11 AM)
i've said it before, this is the era we're going to remember as sox fans for a long time.

Enjoy it.

ahhh the changing of the guards. I want you to go into any street in chicago and view the sox/cubs apparel ration

It is a staggering advantage for the south side hit men.

QUOTE(SnB @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 11:11 AM)
i've said it before, this is the era we're going to remember as sox fans for a long time.

Enjoy it.

Which was meant to be my main message. Sox fans should enjoy this because it might never be like this ever again. And I used to be one to totally obsess over the media. I still do when it's deserved. But just to sit back and realize that we may be witnessing the creation of a dynasty...well that's a good feeling.

The sox 5 years ago took the approach to market to the younger generation. My generation 18-25, and the older generation i really lost in terms of totally converting. The most joy i get is watching teenagers walking around with sox clothes on, this is the lifeblood of our team for years to come. Little kids are always going to remember a white sox world series.

The bigger story in town is not the Sox beating up on the dismal NL Central, but watching the cubs get beaten up by everybody. The question of whether or not Dusty Baker gets fired is a more controversial story in general than us beating the lowly Pirates IMO.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
The bigger story in town is not the Sox beating up on the dismal NL Central, but watching the cubs get beaten up by everybody. The question of whether or not Dusty Baker gets fired is a more controversial story in general than us beating the lowly Pirates IMO.

so fire the f***er and the story is over.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 11:57 AM)
The sox 5 years ago took the approach to market to the younger generation. My generation 18-25, and the older generation i really lost in terms of totally converting. The most joy i get is watching teenagers walking around with sox clothes on, this is the lifeblood of our team for years to come. Little kids are always going to remember a white sox world series.

Not 5 years ago, 15+ years ago, the Sox decided to go for the family enviornment. I don't think JR was ever comfortable with some of the crowd that inhabited the old ballpark, and he really wanted to make the New Comiskey Park much more of a place you could bring your kids to with some confidence.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)
Not 5 years ago, 15+ years ago, the Sox decided to go for the family enviornment. I don't think JR was ever comfortable with some of the crowd that inhabited the old ballpark, and he really wanted to make the New Comiskey Park much more of a place you could bring your kids to with some confidence.

He called it the biggest "outdoor saloon". Funny, but now that term applies 8 miles north

It would take too much effort to make some comparisons between a slumping Podsednik and a Jerry Owens

Actually, one look at Owens' terrible AAA numbers should clear up any doubt that he's not ready, and might not be ever ready. For a slap hitting LF, he better be able to get on base at a good clip, and he's shown little in the way of the necessary plate discpline.

It might be about time to give up on Owens.

Apparetnly there was a fairly large fight behind home plate at Wrigley last night in th 9th inning.