Superman Returns

Steve9347

To put it bluntly, I did not know what to expect going into Superman

Returns. I had read mixed reviews of the performances and story-line,

but was still willing to see a 10pm screening the day it came out.

Boy, was I glad I did.

Superman Returns is absolutely breathtaking. Not only was the story

incredible, but Kevin Spacey brilliant as Lex Luther. Of course, my

worries were about Superman himself, and Brandon Routh filled the role

marvelously. I cannot imagine a better Superman than himself.

Now, the casting worked out well, and so did the story. Though there

were a few story lines that strayed from the comic series, the story

really flows.

As for the film visually, I am going to go out on a limb and say that

the special effects were the most realistic of any film I have seen.

The scale that this film was on was truly massive, and it was pulled

off perfectly. Not only are the destructive scenes great, but the

calming love story of Superman/Lane was pulled off very well.

And you cannot ignore the homage to Superman I and II. This truly did

seem like a continuation of that series.

I loved it, and think it may actually have been better than Batman

Begins.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 09:04 AM)
To put it bluntly, I did not know what to expect going into Superman

Returns. I had read mixed reviews of the performances and story-line,

but was still willing to see a 10pm screening the day it came out.

Boy, was I glad I did.

Superman Returns is absolutely breathtaking. Not only was the story

incredible, but Kevin Spacey brilliant as Lex Luther. Of course, my

worries were about Superman himself, and Brandon Routh filled the role

marvelously. I cannot imagine a better Superman than himself.

Now, the casting worked out well, and so did the story. Though there

were a few story lines that strayed from the comic series, the story

really flows.

Begins.

Wow. Everything you said is the EXACT opposite of what Ebert said in yesterday's Sun Times.

Ebert on Superman Returns

I don't usually listen to critics or even read them. I just happened to read it yesterday. I'm still looking forward to seeing it, though. Thanks for your thoughts.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
ebert is so far off.

trust me, you won't ever listen to him again after you see this perfect movie.

i usually don't give much credence to what critics say unless they're saying the same thing. i still hold a bit of a grudge against ebert for giving the thumbs down to gladiator...

QUOTE(mreye @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
Wow. Everything you said is the EXACT opposite of what Ebert said in yesterday's Sun Times.

Ebert on Superman Returns

I don't usually listen to critics or even read them. I just happened to read it yesterday. I'm still looking forward to seeing it, though. Thanks for your thoughts.

Ebert only likes artsy tartsy films that no one in the real world likes. He should review Independant movies only, and just get on with it.

I pay no attention to the fat man with no film taste. If it is anything like batman begins then it will be great. I cant wait to see it now.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)
Ebert only likes artsy tartsy films that no one in the real world likes. He should review Independant movies only, and just get on with it.

I pay no attention to the fat man with no film taste. If it is anything like batman begins then it will be great. I cant wait to see it now.

He gave Garfield: A Tale Of Two Kitties favorable reviews.

Well, I should actually say Garfield gave it a good review. That was such an odd review.

Edited by Kid Gleason

I disagree with you on Ebert. The man gives 3 stars to nearly every piece of s*** main stream movie being made. I was actually shocked that a big studio release like Superman didn't get the 4 star treatment from Rog.

I'm happy to hear your review. At first, I was a little leery about seeing it. But I have changed my tune, especially since I've learned that it's a continuation of the first two movies --- both movies which I saw many during my childhood.

I can't wait to see it and I never listen to Ebert, anyway.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
I'm happy to hear your review. At first, I was a little leery about seeing it. But I have changed my tune, especially since I've learned that it's a continuation of the first two movies --- both movies which I saw many during my childhood.

I can't wait to see it and I never listen to Ebert, anyway.

you will enjoy it.

I might go see it this weekend.

What's funny is that before I used to pay for a lot of 1hr 30min films and now I've been seeing a lot of 2hr+ movies. Is Superman's length time too much, for those that have seen it???

QUOTE(Yoda @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 09:06 PM)
I might go see it this weekend.

What's funny is that before I used to pay for a lot of 1hr 30min films and now I've been seeing a lot of 2hr+ movies. Is Superman's length time too much, for those that have seen it???

It's way too long. I thought it was a terrible movie, but then again it's probably because I don't care for action/superhero movies and wasn't paying close attention to the movie.

I loved it and was absolutely fine with the running time. My only complaint is I wish there was more action. But the thing is, I am not so sure I would have shortened it for more action. I actually would have added a little more to it. But I am crazy like that.

For the record on how I feel about superhero flicks:

Spider-Man: Loved it.

Spider-Man 2: REALLY loved it.

Batman Begins: Loved it.

X-Men: Liked it.

X-Men 2: Liked it a bunch

X-Men 3: Liked it more than 1 but not as much as 2

Dare Devil: f*** Ben Affleck. He ruined a cool character.

Superman The Movie: REALLY loved it.

Superman II: Loved it, but it has not aged well.

Spawn: Dropped the ball on what could have been great.

The Crow: REALLY loved it.

Batman: Eh, it's O.K.

Batman Returns: Better than the previous.

Batman Forever: Eh...I guess it was fine...I guess...

Batman And Robin: Didn't like it.

Judge Dredd: It was actually much more faithful to the books than people will have you believe, and if they had kept on the helmet there would have been much fewer complaints. Fergie was all wrong, but Schnieder was O.K. in it. Mean Machine was great.

There are some I haven't seen, obviously. I have yet to see: Superman III, Superman IV, and The Hulk...but I will be watching all of them over this weekend I am sure. I have Elektra awaiting a viewing...but...yeah...

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 09:04 AM)

Begins.

Looking forward to it. Going to take a ride to Woodridge tomorrow and see it on the huge 3D IMAX screen.

I personally found it kinda bleh. I mean, its not a bad flick, it did some justice to the Superman films of Reeve. But nothing in it was really "WOW!!" to me either.

To put it in perspective, I came home and watched "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" for about the 10th time, and still enjoyed it more than Superman.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 08:05 AM)
I loved it and was absolutely fine with the running time. My only complaint is I wish there was more action. But the thing is, I am not so sure I would have shortened it for more action. I actually would have added a little more to it. But I am crazy like that.

For the record on how I feel about superhero flicks:

Spider-Man: Loved it.

Spider-Man 2: REALLY loved it.

Batman Begins: Loved it.

X-Men: Liked it.

X-Men 2: Liked it a bunch

X-Men 3: Liked it more than 1 but not as much as 2

Dare Devil: f*** Ben Affleck. He ruined a cool character.

Superman The Movie: REALLY loved it.

Superman II: Loved it, but it has not aged well.

Spawn: Dropped the ball on what could have been great.

The Crow: REALLY loved it.

Batman: Eh, it's O.K.

Batman Returns: Better than the previous.

Batman Forever: Eh...I guess it was fine...I guess...

Batman And Robin: Didn't like it.

Judge Dredd: It was actually much more faithful to the books than people will have you believe, and if they had kept on the helmet there would have been much fewer complaints. Fergie was all wrong, but Schnieder was O.K. in it. Mean Machine was great.

There are some I haven't seen, obviously. I have yet to see: Superman III, Superman IV, and The Hulk...but I will be watching all of them over this weekend I am sure. I have Elektra awaiting a viewing...but...yeah...

Wow, I do not advise you to watch The Hulk

Worst.Movie.Evar

HOWEVER, I do suggest that instead of wasting time watching the crappy hulk, you watch The Punisher.. I think that was by far the best Marvel Movie that has ever been made.. its f***ing badass on so many levels

He's more like the fat man that likes EVERYTHING. He was a critic back in the day, now he's just a whore. Go to Blockbuster and see how many movie boxes his name is plastered on. It's about time he has spoken up about all these f***ing superhero movies. The only decent one has been Batman Begins.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 02:15 AM)
He's more like the fat man that likes EVERYTHING. He was a critic back in the day, now he's just a whore. Go to Blockbuster and see how many movie boxes his name is plastered on. It's about time he has spoken up about all these f***ing superhero movies. The only decent one has been Batman Begins.

I have read that he just does that because he is told to give higher ratings... it is for the people... but can express how he truly feels in his review. What i have always liked about ebert is he explains things so that i know whether i will have any interest in it... whether he has or not. I can only say that about a select few critics.

QUOTE(T R U @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 02:05 AM)

Worst.Movie.Evar

HOWEVER, I do suggest that instead of wasting time watching the crappy hulk, you watch The Punisher.. I think that was by far the best Marvel Movie that has ever been made.. its f***ing badass on so many levels

Well, I did watch The Hulk. I missed your post. As it turns out, I thought it was a decent enough film. I doubt I will ever sit down with it again though. But now that they spent 3 hours on nothing but character development, I would be interested to see him in a second film and see where they go from there. Or he should be brought into one of the already established franchises.

I take that one over Daredevil anyday though, and I like DD (the character and books, not the film) quite a bit.

I still need to check out The Punisher. My neighbor has it, so maybe I will grab it from him. You mean the new one, not the old Lundgren version, right?

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 11:26 AM)
Well, I did watch The Hulk. I missed your post. As it turns out, I thought it was a decent enough film. I doubt I will ever sit down with it again though. But now that they spent 3 hours on nothing but character development, I would be interested to see him in a second film and see where they go from there. Or he should be brought into one of the already established franchises.

I take that one over Daredevil anyday though, and I like DD quite a bit.

I still need to check out The Punisher. My neighbor has it, so maybe I will grab it from him. You mean the new one, not the old Lundgren version, right?

Right, the new Punisher.. it was real good

Also, the next Hulk they are making is supposed to have a whole new director and stuff and I thought I read they were gonna try and make up for the shame that was the first Hulk

QUOTE(T R U @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 07:05 AM)

Worst.Movie.Evar

I agree with TRU, I really enjoyed The Punisher. I'm surprised more people don't. Better than The Hulk, F4, Dare Devil, etc. Also, I would probably suggest avoiding Superman III and IV. III was pretty tacky and had Richard Pryor in it. IV had the anti-superman which was a tacky looking guy that looks like he was a ripoff from a Sigfreid and Roy show. Anyways, just my 2 cents.

Warning: Plot Spoilers below!

The one thing that I did not like about Superman returns is the introduction of "Superman's love child". Plots for sequels have no where to go but down. I suspect the series is going to go in the direction of cute movies with Superman saving his kid and showing his kids the ropes. It is bad enough that Superman has to save Lois Lane or his lady friend in each film. Now he has to save his kid. I fear the next Superman will be a kiddie film in much the same way Star War Episode I: the Phatom Menice was. Not mention, is Superman now a dead beat dad because he disappeared for 5 years? I suspect that he should know his super-sperm is very fertile.

Artistically, I loved the movie. It was true to the originals with Christopher Reeve, although the new Superman is obviously trying to be Christopher Reeve as Superman not trying to be Superman. I loved Spacey and Parker Posey in the villans roles. Anybody else share my fears about the future of the series?

Except that he gave Batman Begins 4 stars...so was he wrong then too?