Jenks Slider

Harry Chappas

It seems Jenks is really getting into that slider of his. He started to throw it against the Cardinals big fastball hitters last week and did so again Sunday and yesterday. If he gets this pitch over he will be devastating and hitters will have no chance.

The funny thing was that it registered at 97 MPH and instead of just saying what a good/great pitch it was Joe Morgan rambles how the gun HAS to be wrong as he has never seen a 97 MPH slider.

This post is more about the work he can do with this pitch. I think this was what got Ausmus to ground weakly into the DP Sunday and both guys yesterday.

Last year it seemed in back to back days or when overworked Jenks would get hit a little. In the extra inning World Series game he went to this pitch and went 2 innings, I believe.

If he throws strikes he is unhittable.

Oh, and I like Matt Thorton even more if he throws strikes.

I love this success Jenks is having. I was reading this article last night, and they were basically predicting Jenks to do almost nothing (except one guy). But man, he has turned it on. He is just so unbelievable right now! KEEP IT UP BOBBY!

Hah, the article about Crede is hilarious too.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 09:45 AM)
It seems Jenks is really getting into that slider of his. He started to throw it against the Cardinals big fastball hitters last week and did so again Sunday and yesterday. If he gets this pitch over he will be devastating and hitters will have no chance.

The funny thing was that it registered at 97 MPH and instead of just saying what a good/great pitch it was Joe Morgan rambles how the gun HAS to be wrong as he has never seen a 97 MPH slider.

This post is more about the work he can do with this pitch. I think this was what got Ausmus to ground weakly into the DP Sunday and both guys yesterday.

Last year it seemed in back to back days or when overworked Jenks would get hit a little. In the extra inning World Series game he went to this pitch and went 2 innings, I believe.

If he throws strikes he is unhittable.

Oh, and I like Matt Thorton even more if he throws strikes.

Morgan was pissing me off with that. You've never seen a 97mph slider? Well you have now jackass! Then he throws another breaking pitch that was 94, and he goes "that's more like a slider, with less break". Jon Miller tells the dumbass that it was a cutter. Give it a break Morgan, the White Sox are good.

Rant over. :cheers

QUOTE(zygoat @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)
not to mention bobby is the most imitating pitcher (i believe) with a 100 mph fastball mixed with his big hook and now a 97 mph slider? he's untouchable and plays with passion

that a boy bobby

And his 300+ lb. frame doesn't hurt intimidation, either.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 04:35 PM)
That 97 MPH pitch was not a slider. The next pitch he threw was more of a slider. The 97 MPH pitch was more of a cutter. Still, you don't see many 97 MPH cutters.

So, are you backing your boy Joe Morgan?

Nobody knows what the f*** Jenks is throwing unless it's an obvious fastball or curveball.

The guy is amazing. You can argue that he is a Top 5 closer in the majors. I would take Papelbon, Rivera, Nathan, Rodriguez, and Billy Wagner before Jenks, but that's about it. I mean, unless I'm forgetting about someone...

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
That 97 MPH pitch was not a slider. The next pitch he threw was more of a slider. The 97 MPH pitch was more of a cutter. Still, you don't see many 97 MPH cutters.

OK, he started using a cutter, even better.....now he is using a 100MPH fastball, 97 MPH Cutter, 94 MPH Slider and a 87 MPH offspeed pitch. Teach him the knuckler and we may have something.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
OK, he started using a cutter, even better.....now he is using a 100MPH fastball, 97 MPH Cutter, 94 MPH Slider and a 87 MPH offspeed pitch. Teach him the knuckler and we may have something.

Bill Stoneman is a complete idiot for letting this one go.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)

He'll also throw in a heavy sinker from time to time, although he doesn't use it too often. The guy has a lot of pitches that are considered plus pitches, its just as a closer he really only uses a few of them.

I just hope he stays heatlhy for us, if he does that and throws strikes he could go down as one of the all time great closers (That said I have my doubts as to how long he'll be able to stay healthy).

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
I hope he never loses his "stuff" because he throws in patterns.

Fastball

Fastball

Slider

Fastball

2 strikes: Curve

Last night he threw his slider on the first pitch to the second batter, and i believe the 2nd pitch to the first batter.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
So, are you backing your boy Joe Morgan?

The guy is amazing. You can argue that he is a Top 5 closer in the majors. I would take Papelbon, Rivera, Nathan, Rodriguez, and Billy Wagner before Jenks, but that's about it. I mean, unless I'm forgetting about someone...

Are you basing your preference on this year, or historically?

This year I would say that Rodriguez, Rivera, and Billy Wagner are all beneith Jenks in my standings IMO.

My personal preference based on this year's performances only would be:

1. papelbon

2. Ryan

3. Nathan

4. Jenks

5.Hoffman

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)
Although the insane rambling on that pitch was stupid, it is true that noone throws a 97 mph slider.

If Jenks threw a 97 mph slider he'd never have to throw another pitch.

I'll believe Jenks was throwing a cutter at 97mph. After striking out Biggio Sunday night ESPN replayed the strikeout pitch and you can see the movement his fastball had. It moved a good foot over the plate.

Imagine Jenks in the starting rotation. If he were in shape (key point), and a replacement was located for a closer, I'd seriously consider it. He's been a starter throughout his career. If Liriano and his odd delivery could manage, Jenks could as well.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 11:01 AM)
Bobby is really a freak of nature, what a great pick up by KW.

Joe Morgan is a complete moron, he should stop hiding behind radar guns and his vaunted K Zone.

What great scouting by Dave Wilder and company. Seeing the potential he had and then seeing that he was probably MLB ready pitching in AA in the middle of June/July? Major props to the scouting staff with Jenks.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
If Jenks threw a 97 mph slider he'd never have to throw another pitch.

I'll believe Jenks was throwing a cutter at 97mph. After striking out Biggio Sunday night ESPN replayed the strikeout pitch and you can see the movement his fastball had. It moved a good foot over the plate.

Imagine Jenks in the starting rotation. If he were in shape (key point), and a replacement was located for a closer, I'd seriously consider it. He's been a starter throughout his career. If Liriano and his odd delivery could manage, Jenks could as well.

The reason he will never make it back into the rotation can be seen on his xrays. Its a screw, that he got from a stress fracture. Throwing that hard is murder on the arm, throwing 180-200 innings of throwing that hard would be too much.