Jenks Slider

Harry Chappas

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)
I love this success Jenks is having. I was reading this article last night, and they were basically predicting Jenks to do almost nothing (except one guy). But man, he has turned it on. He is just so unbelievable right now! KEEP IT UP BOBBY!

Hah, the article about Crede is hilarious too.

i remember reading that and laughing to myself at the time.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 12:37 PM)
What great scouting by Dave Wilder and company. Seeing the potential he had and then seeing that he was probably MLB ready pitching in AA in the middle of June/July? Major props to the scouting staff with Jenks.

I guess some scouting was needed in terms of saying he was ready for the majors, but it doesn't take an idiot to go watch this guy throw the ball once and realize he has one of the best arms in the biz. You could probably take a 10 year old off the street that has played baseball a few times and all you'd have to say is that he hits 100 on the gun from tiem to time and can throw a mean breaking ball.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
So, are you backing your boy Joe Morgan?

Nobody knows what the f*** Jenks is throwing unless it's an obvious fastball or curveball.

The guy is amazing. You can argue that he is a Top 5 closer in the majors. I would take Papelbon, Rivera, Nathan, Rodriguez, and Billy Wagner before Jenks, but that's about it. I mean, unless I'm forgetting about someone...

I believe i started a thread a while ago discussing all the pitches bobby has and it was agreed that he has about 5-6 pitches, i want to know what the pitch he used last night to get that strike out, it fell right off the table at the knees. Flithy.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
The reason he will never make it back into the rotation can be seen on his xrays. Its a screw, that he got from a stress fracture. Throwing that hard is murder on the arm, throwing 180-200 innings of throwing that hard would be too much.

I had no idea Jenks has a permanent screw imbedded in his arm. Searching through Google for information I noticed Turnbow had one as well while pitching for the Angels.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
If Jenks threw a 97 mph slider he'd never have to throw another pitch.

I'll believe Jenks was throwing a cutter at 97mph. After striking out Biggio Sunday night ESPN replayed the strikeout pitch and you can see the movement his fastball had. It moved a good foot over the plate.

Imagine Jenks in the starting rotation. If he were in shape (key point), and a replacement was located for a closer, I'd seriously consider it. He's been a starter throughout his career. If Liriano and his odd delivery could manage, Jenks could as well.

the only problem is they tried that in the Angels organization and it resulted in two arm injuries.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
That 97 MPH pitch was not a slider. The next pitch he threw was more of a slider. The 97 MPH pitch was more of a cutter. Still, you don't see many 97 MPH cutters.

Cutters don't break as much as the 97 MPH pitch Jenks threw. There's no way it wasn't a slider. The gun MAY have been off, but it was a slider.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 07:10 PM)
Cutters don't break as much as the 97 MPH pitch Jenks threw. There's no way it wasn't a slider. The gun MAY have been off, but it was a slider.

The gun was quick but Jas is right, the first pitch he threw was a cutter when Morgan started to talk about it but the 2nd one, was a slider.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 07:08 PM)
Are you basing your preference on this year, or historically?

This year I would say that Rodriguez, Rivera, and Billy Wagner are all beneith Jenks in my standings IMO.

My personal preference based on this year's performances only would be:

1. papelbon

2. Ryan

3. Nathan

4. Jenks

5.Hoffman

Exactly. I took previous years into account.

Your list includes the guy that I forgot about: BJ Ryan. On paper, he is the best closer in the majors.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 09:24 PM)
The gun was quick but Jas is right, the first pitch he threw was a cutter when Morgan started to talk about it but the 2nd one, was a slider.

If I recall correctly, the one he threw 97 MPH broke more than the other pitch?

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)
I love this success Jenks is having. I was reading this article last night, and they were basically predicting Jenks to do almost nothing (except one guy). But man, he has turned it on. He is just so unbelievable right now! KEEP IT UP BOBBY!

Hah, the article about Crede is hilarious too.

I remember reading similar things in March on this board. They didn't want to listen though. Bobby is awesome.

League leader in save percentage.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jun 28, 2006 -> 12:00 PM)
Bill Stoneman is a complete idiot for letting this one go.

i talked to doug sisson a few months ago, who was the manager that got into the feud with jenks, and he really seemed to believe that jenks was just never gonna make it with the angels, and he needed a serious reality check and they just simply let him go....im not gonna say it was stupid for them to let him go, but rather stupid to ever let a situation with a player erupt to the point where that player cant play for your team