Gamethread 6-29-06, Sox vs. Pirates

Capn12

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 06:24 PM)
i think there is added pressure this year, as the Tigers are a better ball club than us. Falling behind them further makes for anxiety. In addition, we now know that rain was coming, so why would Ozzie stick with contrares? He had an opportunity to tie the game, now he is in a deep hole. Despite the World series, we can as fans second guess. its why we watch.

I don't disagree and I second guess and gripe almost as much as some, but on the other hand let's not lose sight of the fact we aren't quite half way through the season yet and are one of the two top teams in baseball. We want to win every game for sure, but it aiin't going to happen. I want us to be in a good position to step over the Tigers when we play them again. We are 5 out of 6 with them so far this season with 13 left head to head?

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)
Yeah, its not entirely Widger's fault, but it seems like whenever he's behind the plate the Sox lose or pitch like ass

You take out AJ's bat and his hustle and grit, and then his game calling. And replace it with someone who isnt hitting well, and doesnt call a game that well.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
We're not winning anything with this starting pitching. It's really become the weak spot of our team, more so than CF, SS, or the bullpen.

I can't believe people can be so blindly satisfied with our starters.

I'm not blindly satisfied at all with our starters. They have under performed. Garland has been terrible most of the year, Garcia is mediocre but wins games, Mark has been Mark, Jose hasn't look that great since coming off the DL and Javy Vazquez is erratic as to be expected. It has been far from dominant but when your record is 51-26 how freaking upset can I possibly be? Knee jerk reactions are awesome

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 01:29 PM)
I don't intend this for you, but this has been on my mind.....f*** what the Tigers are doing right now. They're playing out of their minds, and there's nothing we can do about it. In all honesty, I'm more concerned with what the Yanks are doing, as they're the likely prime competition for the WC. If the Tigers keep throwing shutouts every 4th game, we're not going to win the division.

Completely understand but I do think the tigers will drop a few which is why we need to stay close. Dropping 4-6 games back will kill us. staying 1-2 games back we can sneak up on them. The tigers will go on a losing streak and staying close is important. the yankees will get better. I really believe we will need to win the division.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 06:32 PM)
You take out AJ's bat and his hustle and grit, and then his game calling. And replace it with someone who isnt hitting well, and doesnt call a game that well.

Got to have a back up catcher though. I wouldn't mind seeing Miggie Olivo back here

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 06:34 PM)
Does Jose pitch after the delay? I'm sure most of us say no but Ozzie is overly concerned with individual stats.

I bet we see Cotts or McCarthy after the rain stops

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)
I don't disagree and I second guess and gripe almost as much as some, but on the other hand let's not lose sight of the fact we aren't quite half way through the season yet and are one of the two top teams in baseball. We want to win every game for sure, but it aiin't going to happen. I want us to be in a good position to step over the Tigers when we play them again. We are 5 out of 6 with them so far this season with 13 left head to head?

Got it and I don't mind geting smoked every once in awhile but this game was indeed ours. in fact with the right managerial moves last inning we could be tied. Anyway, i too believe we need to stay close and we do that by beating the bad teams. Pitt is a bad team, the Cubs are a bad team.

Edited by quickman

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 06:31 PM)
Yeah, its not entirely Widger's fault, but it seems like whenever he's behind the plate the Sox lose or pitch like ass

Somebody correct me if im wrong but didn't Jose just get lit up last year when Widger caught

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 01:33 PM)
I'm not blindly satisfied at all with our starters. They have under performed. Garland has been terrible most of the year, Garcia is mediocre but wins games, Mark has been Mark, Jose hasn't look that great since coming off the DL and Javy Vazquez is erratic as to be expected. It has been far from dominant but when your record is 51-26 how freaking upset can I possibly be? Knee jerk reactions are awesome

Maybe you need someone to explain to you the concept of a knee jerk reaction?

I've been saying our starting pitching hasn't been good for nearly a month. Feel free to read up on that.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 11:29 AM)
Besides the, well we will rally. Do you think it was the right decision not to pinch hit for Contreras down by a run, with a man on 2nd and 1 out when we are in the 6th inning with rain on the way.

Absolutely not - he should've been pulled for sure. I think Count's streak was in play on that decision and it should not have been.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 01:33 PM)

Exactly.

I guess some people just need to find something to b**** about.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
Maybe you need someone to explain to you the concept of a knee jerk reaction?

I've been saying our starting pitching hasn't been good for nearly a month. Feel free to read up on that.

Thanks, but I'll pass on that. Regardless of when you starting ripping the entire rotation it's still undeserved and completely off base to call the starting staff "in shambles" as you did a few minutes ago. I've collected all the information I need.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)
Absolutely not - he should've been pulled for sure. I think Count's streak was in play on that decision and it should not have been.

We have to stop putting the good of the team over someones personal accomplishments.

We let Mike Jackson get decked night after night in 03 or 04 because he was coming close to some useless record for appearances.

Its not like we are up on the division by 15 games. If we win the first 2 games of a series, we need to pull out the stops and win the last game.

Especially against the worst teams in baseball.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)
And Joe Borchard

I'm an admitted Joe Borchard backer..I still think hes invaluable to the team. Hell look we got Matt Thornton for him! I knew he had long term value. :D

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
Thanks, but I'll pass on that. Regardless of when you starting ripping the entire rotation it's still undeserved and completely off base to call the starting staff "in shambles" as you did a few minutes ago. I've collected all the information I need.

Whatever dude, were clearly not going to win "anything" with this pitching staff. A .640% winning percentage sucks.

QUOTE(chisoxfan79 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 01:36 PM)
Somebody correct me if im wrong but didn't Jose just get lit up last year when Widger caught

The equation is a simple one:

Widger's game calling ability + Contreras feeble mindset = meltdown.