Gamethread 6-29-06, Sox vs. Pirates

Capn12

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 02:53 PM)
I just dont understand what the f*** goes through Ozzie's head sometimes. Why the f*** was Politte out there? WHY THE f***?!

He probably thinks with Jon and Javy going the next 2 he will have to save up some of the bullpen.

Ozzie's got to take as much of the blame as Politte here. Where's Brandon McCarthy? Asking Politte to go a second inning was asking for trouble, and Ozzie knew it.

The logical move would have been to make a double switch. Bring in McCarthy and have him bat in Uribe's spot. Bring in Ozuna and have him hit 9th to lead off the 10th inning.

Ozzie also nearly blew last night's game. Instead of Mack v. Capps and Ozuna v. Marte, we had righty-righty and lefty-lefty with Uribe on 3rd. Had Pods not come through with a hit, we'd have lost that game too.

Alright, I know Politte sucks and he should have never been in the game in the first place, but can someone please acknowledge the fact the Contreras sucked today and was probably the main reason for the loss. He blew two seperate early leads very quickly and, although Thome got him off the hook, he probably deserved to lose.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
Ozzie's got to take as much of the blame as Politte here. Where's Brandon McCarthy? Asking Politte to go a second inning was asking for trouble, and Ozzie knew it.

The logical move would have been to make a double switch. Bring in McCarthy and have him bat in Uribe's spot. Bring in Ozuna and have him hit 9th to lead off the 10th inning.

Ozzie also nearly blew last night's game. Instead of Mack v. Capps and Ozuna v. Marte, we had righty-righty and lefty-lefty with Uribe on 3rd. Had Pods not come through with a hit, we'd have lost that game too.

This was the old, settling for the Sunday lineup lose preformance today made famous by the Manuel era and carried over to the 2004 club.

Very disappointing. There is plenty of blame to go around. This isn't all on Politte, nowhere close.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)

I'm pretty sure Ozuna is hurt or else we would have seen him in previous games. I do agree that Politte should have been out in favor of anybody else.

Politte sucks but whatever. If your ace pitcher is giving up 5 runs on 12 hits in 5 IP, you don't deserve to win the game. That was the main reason we lost.

I just hope KW won't be stubborn and evaluates our starting pitching for what it is, and not how it's paid, or what it was/should be.

Widger has really lost his luster from last year. He can't hit now, and he certainly can't call a game. What's his CERA this year?

Contreras has been bad for a few starts. I hope he gets his ass back on track

And Politte...man. Get off this team.

Oh, and I'm pretty confident, as are most here, that the Tigers will easily sweep the Pirates.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 02:58 PM)
Widger has really lost his luster from last year. He can't hit now, and he certainly can't call a game. What's his CERA this year?

Contreras has been bad for a few starts. I hope he gets his ass back on track

And Politte...man. Get off this team.

the fact of the matter is there never really was any luster last year, he hit what, like 5 HR... he got lucky a few times, and in limited ABs that shows up

Bullpen has been a problem, if anything or any group can be called an achilles heal. Jenks and Thornton have excelled and everyone else is inconsistent. Starting pitching has not be solid either, but the one real constant (good) has been the offense. They have been impressive. This loss sucks but I am not certain it sucks as bad as the bullpen losing the Houston game in 13.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
Just remember this when the Tigers roll in here and win by 5-0, 7-1, 8-3 this weekend.

2.5 games back.

What does that have to do with anything? The guy had an awesome series at the plate. What Detroit will or won't do has nothing to do with that.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
Bullpen has been a problem, if anything or any group can be called an achilles heal. Jenks and Thornton have excelled and everyone else is inconsistent. Starting pitching has not be solid either, but the one real constant (good) has been the offense. They have been impressive. This loss sucks but I am not certain it sucks as bad as the bullpen losing the Houston game in 13.

Did you just start watching baseball a couple weeks ago? Blaming the pen on that Astros loss? 1 ER in 6 innings that night. Wow.

Looks like I'll have to ressurect my signature.

Poor Cliff, he was hard on himself last year even with career numbers.

I really wish an injury could explain his ineffectiveness. We would then have an excuse to explain the magnetic charge baseballs seem to have towards bats when Politte pitches.

The bullpen has not been the problem. Early on in the year, sure, they were a problem. But, for a long period of time up to this point, they've been consistent to great.

The problem, is our $40 billion rotation. They have sucked some serious dick on the year, and even Contreras is having bad games now.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 08:06 PM)
The bullpen has not been the problem. Early on in the year, sure, they were a problem. But, for a long period of time up to this point, they've been consistent to great.

The problem, is our $40 billion rotation. They have sucked some serious dick on the year, and even Contreras is having bad games now.

We've won, what, 13 out of the last 16? WE SUCK.

Come on people. They're not all going to have sub 3 ERA's as starters and sub 1.5 ERA's as relief guys.

Has it been all roses? No. But it's not been a bad stretch here, and we all know we're going to probably pick up an arm before the trade deadline.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)

Between Garland, Garcia, and Vazquez (I'm souring on him every passing start), whomever receives the best package should be delt next offseason.

Just bring us our Liriano in a trade and I'll be happy. :cheers