White Sox Loser

AddisonStSox

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
The last part of your statement is bulls***. Way to disregard the most important asset in our organization.

Not even close = my ass.

Johan

9-4 2.59 ERA 124ks .96 WHIP .216BAA

Liriano

8-1 2.21 ERA 82ks 1.10 WHIP .212BAA

vs

Mark Buerhle

9-4 3.22 ERA 47ks 1.25 WHIP .262 BAA

Count

8-0 3.44 ERA 68ks 1.17 WHIP .235BA

The count when he is dominant/everything is going for him throwing strikes/etc/ is in the league with the Minny pitchers. But right now the numbers are well in those guys favor.

I'm pretty confident the Sox will make the playoffs, I guess. It's winning in the playoffs that has me worried. Our team reminds of last year's Red Sox (great hitting, suspect pitching) whereas the Tigers remind me of last year's White Sox (great SP, good bullpen, low OBP, can hit homers). We know what happened in the playoffs.

With all the hype of Liriano, I would love to see him do this a second year (a full year at that) when the league adjust to him. He is special, but then again so is King Felix and he isn't as good as he was his first year as a teenager even though he and Liriano will be the 1-2 in the league for many, many years. We'll see.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
I'd take Liriano and Santana over any of our SP right now, and it's not close

I'm several pages back in this thread, but feel this post needs to be quoted. We can label Contreras or Buehrle our "aces," but let's be honest -- compared to those two they're birdshirt.

Don't worry. That will all change when our Liriano is either traded for or developed. Right?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
I'm several pages back in this thread, but feel this post needs to be quoted. We can label Contreras or Buehrle our "aces," but let's be honest -- compared to those two they're birdshirt.

Don't worry. That will all change when our Liriano is either traded for or developed. Right?

How many teams have a Liriano type in their system? 3? You make it sound as if the Sox are the only team in baseball without such a player.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
Johan

9-4 2.59 ERA 124ks .96 WHIP .216BAA

Liriano

8-1 2.21 ERA 82ks 1.10 WHIP .212BAA

vs

Mark Buerhle

9-4 3.22 ERA 47ks 1.25 WHIP .262 BAA

Count

8-0 3.44 ERA 68ks 1.17 WHIP .235BA

The count when he is dominant/everything is going for him throwing strikes/etc/ is in the league with the Minny pitchers. But right now the numbers are well in those guys favor.

Better stat

Sox 452 runs scored 353 runs against

Twins 375 runs scored 355 runs against.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 04:41 PM)
I'm pretty confident the Sox will make the playoffs, I guess. It's winning in the playoffs that has me worried. Our team reminds of last year's Red Sox (great hitting, suspect pitching) whereas the Tigers remind me of last year's White Sox (great SP, good bullpen, low OBP, can hit homers). We know what happened in the playoffs.

Very good comparison. We definitely have an '05 BoSox feel to this team.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
Everything will be OK when we take 2 of 3 from the Cubs, and the tiggers lose 2 of 3 to PIT this weekend.

:ph34r:

I have a good feeling about the first half of that line going, the second half would shock and make me happy as hell.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 09:39 PM)

Contreras had the AL triple crown (ERA/WHIP/BAA) going well into May. He's having a bad month, and all of a sudden he doesn't even come close to Santana or Liriano?

Always remember: No Contreras, no rings.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 09:43 PM)

I almost always agree with your posts, but Contreras is birds*** in comparison to Liriano and Santana? Come on, man.

Maintaining the AL triple crown (ERA/WHIP/BAA) over the first two months of this season = birds***

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)
How many teams have a Liriano type in their system? 3? You make it sound as if the Sox are the only team in baseball without such a player.

I'll keep it short for SoxAce.

What you're doing is exactly what everyone else does. Shrugs their shoulders and go, "oh well -- every team would want a Liriano." I imagine there's a large group of people who think similarily working in our minor league system. They feel the odds are we're not going to find one, so why do anything?

It's of their own makings they're consistently in the position to not only have a player on the level of Liriano, but one even capable of average production.

One, granted, is due to our consistently average record which has limited high draft picks. Nothing you can do there.

Another, which is entirely our fault, is our inability to develop talent from Latin American countries. Since Lee and Ordonez' promotion in the late 90's, we haven't even had a player on par with Neifi Perez arise from our Latin scouts. It's pitiful to ignore such a large baseball rich area of the world. If we're EVER going to find a Liriano, it's going to have to either be from scouting or a trade. Even if such odds increases from 1/10,000 to 1/5,000, atleast make some effort.

Watching Minnesota locate both Santana and Liriano (and I realize neither are products of Minnesota's system) just aggrivated me beyond belief. There's a reason both stud lefthanders just happened to be on Minnesota. Their scouting directions obviously values pitching prospects with velocity. You can't teach velocity. When I observe our club drafting Broadway and McCulloh it's evident we're more concerned with "safe" pics with low potential than high pics which may be risky, but have a high ceiling. Go ahead and tell me about Nick Lemon or another bust, but I'd rather have 15 straight busts if it even gives us one Liriano.

We have to counter those two. I don't care how ridiculous that sounds, we need results from a group of scouts who haven't done s*** in nearly a decade. I'm not going to sit by and watch Liriano/Santana mow through us while Lance Broadway is considered one of our top pitching prospects. That just won't work for me. Now, either you can again shrug your shoulder and just accept every 10K shutout from either for the next 7 years, or realize there's a group of people working for the White Sox who aren't doing their jobs.

Join with me people -- Where's our Liriano? :D

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Flash,

Doesnt McCulloh throw heat? And wouldnt the pressure be on our GM to trade our starting catchers for prospects like the twins did for Liriano? Of course since we arent a small market team, we trade our prospects instead of trading starters for prospects, but I guess that doesnt matter when placing blame.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
I almost always agree with your posts, but Contreras is birds*** in comparison to Liriano and Santana? Come on, man.

Maintaining the AL triple crown (ERA/WHIP/BAA) over the first two months of this season = birds***

Contreras may have it for two months, but Liriano and Santana will battle each other for the AL triple crown pitching stats for the remaining four months.

But don't think I've soured on Contreras or Buehrle entirely. Santana and Liriano are simply that much better.

Birds*** may have been unneeded, but I'm just passionate -- like all us Eastern Europeans. :D

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
Join with me people -- Where's our Liriano? :D

There are too many teams in this league. Having two young HOF caliber pitchers in the same rotation is pretty much a freak occurence, especially in the expansion era. Hell, you'd have to go back to the late 60s Mets (Seaver/Ryan).

But make no mistake about it: Contreras is a HOF caliber pitcher. If he came up in the states, he'd be (arguably) the best SP in White Sox history outside of Ed Walsh. Talk about a major championship piece.

Wow I just got home and watched the tivod game. Hawk and DJ got dominated by Sanchez, the first pitch after they were mocking him for not hitting the ball hard and just getting jammed on the hands, he hits a walk-off homer. If Pods were superman, he could have caught that ball.

Edited by whitesoxin'

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 05:14 PM)
There are too many teams in this league. Having two young HOF caliber pitchers in the same rotation is pretty much a freak occurence, especially in the expansion era. Hell, you'd have to go back to the late 60s Mets (Seaver/Ryan).

There should be more urgency then to do something about it. I hope people realize that if Minnesota develops or trade for several offensive pieces they're set. Mauer obviously won't be hitting at his

What happens when Matt Garza, their stud AA pitcher, develops and one day enters Minnesota's rotation? We may encountering the starting rotation from hell. Detroit isn't exactly taking a step back.

I just wish I had some inclination that something is being done to develop legitimate talent. Ideally in Latin America, where everything is fair game for those willing to search. I realize we've developed a baseball academy in Venezuela. That may one day reap benefits. It's just remarkable to me how little our scouts from Latin America has done. Not even our Futuresox crew could deny that.

Amazing. One loss. It's not the end of the world. The Pirates had a 13-game losing streak, they were bound to win sometime. These posts are hilarious. Everything should be better if the Sox take 2 of three from the Cubs.