White Sox Loser

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)
There are serious problems for this team right now. Three starters have really bad ERA's. They make like 25 million dollars. That is way past unacceptable. And Widger cannot call a baseball game anymore. Those are real problems that will bite us in the ass come playoff time. Whoever said we're like the 2005 Red Sox hit it right on the head. We can't have guys with ERA's of 4.65, 5.00, and 5.76 starting playoff games. Teams with great offenses and bad pitching usually don't win it all.

While I agree with the point that our pitching needs to be better, this team is no where near what last years Red Sox were even with the struggles we have going on right now. Boston's game one starter last year had an era over 4.5 with like a 6 era in the 2nd half. We still have two very good starters at the moment and a very good bullpen where the Red Sox had an absolutely horrible pen last year and 0 starting pitching. I understand the point you're trying to get across but the comparison between the 05 sawx and the 06 sox is just way off. As much as our pitching is struggling we're still 5th in the al in era.

Edited by Rowand44

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
Boston's game one starter last year had an era over 4.5 with like a 6 era in the 2nd half.

Since they had to first make sure they had a playoff spot, they were unable to have their true ace start the playoff series. In fact, he never had a chance to pitch.

And Widger cannot call a baseball game anymore. Those are real problems that will bite us in the ass come playoff time.

Widger wouldn't even play in the playoffs.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)
Q, I have no problems with Ian. I was the one who suggested him as a guy to help run the Bears site, and possibly take over things in the future. Trust me, after doing this for quite a while, I don't just recommend anybody for that kind of stuff.

sorry Mike, i misread that whole thing! You going today?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 09:40 AM)
Since they had to first make sure they had a playoff spot, they were unable to have their true ace start the playoff series. In fact, he never had a chance to pitch.

Their true ace sucked last season. They could have pitched him in game 3 if they wished but they wanted to pitch Wakefield. The Red Sox had 0 good starters last year(Wakefield was there best) with one of the worst bullpens around, like I said it's not a fair comparison.

There are serious problems for this team right now. Three starters have really bad ERA's. They make like 25 million dollars. That is way past unacceptable. And Widger cannot call a baseball game anymore. Those are real problems that will bite us in the ass come playoff time. Whoever said we're like the 2005 Red Sox hit it right on the head. We can't have guys with ERA's of 4.65, 5.00, and 5.76 starting playoff games. Teams with great offenses and bad pitching usually don't win it all.

Excellent post and I agree. The feel right now is different and I think its because of our starting pitching. They get hurt by big innings all the time. If we were in first place right now the pressure would not be there, but we are chasing a team who is great. thats why the microscope is out. We need garland to show up big today. Every damn pitch counts. Garland gets lazy out there and loses focus. he has to grow up.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 09:40 AM)

nah, babies are EXPENSIVE! :bang

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 09:43 AM)
Excellent post and I agree. The feel right now is different and I think its because of our starting pitching. They get hurt by big innings all the time. If we were in first place right now the pressure would not be there, but we are chasing a team who is great. thats why the microscope is out. We need garland to show up big today. Every damn pitch counts. Garland gets lazy out there and loses focus. he has to grow up.

I think this is the biggest problem this year with our pitching has been a lack of focus. The talent is there, but when you get Garland making comments at the beginning of the year that he lost his cofidence, you have Freddy deciding to throw more breaking pitches, and you have the rest of the ups and downs it makes for some bad games from an ERA standpoint. Its a long season, after a short offseason. I think the biggest problems for teams repeating, is the lack of focus.

Hopefully the tigers being in front will keep the sox on target, and maybe at some point soon our pitchers collectively will start to put better efforts together, no matter who the opposition is.

All they need is last years formula. Throw strike one, get ahead, make them hit your pitch. This years formula of get into a hitters count, and then duck isnt working so far.

They can pitch better, they just need to focus on strike one.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
While I agree with the point that our pitching needs to be better, this team is no where near what last years Red Sox were even with the struggles we have going on right now. Boston's game one starter last year had an era over 4.5 with like a 6 era in the 2nd half. We still have two very good starters at the moment and a very good bullpen where the Red Sox had an absolutely horrible pen last year and 0 starting pitching.

Not to nitpick, but one of our "two very good starters at the moment" is busy posting a 6.21 ERA this month, making him not such a very good starter at the moment. I do agree, our pitching is better than Boston's last year. That's nothing to be proud of, imo.

Looking at the current playoff teams:

Boston

Detroit

White Sox

Oakland

I would say we have the weakest starting pitching, and that won't be close when Harden returns for Oakland.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 08:47 AM)
These kinds of posts make me laugh. You HAVE to take 3 of 3? On the road? Do bad teams like PIT and KC go 0-162? OR even 40-122? No. They win 60 games or so, maybe more. Do good teams like the Sox or DET go 13-0 against KC? No, of course not - they might go 10-3. Bad teams beat good teams on occasion. We won two of three, and almost won the third, on the road, without our DH. What is the problem here?

Times like this, we need to remember the axiom: every team wins a third of their games and loses a third. Its what you do with the other third that makes the difference.

We have the 2nd best record in baseball, and its late June. I am soooooo not worried.

No, but teams like the Pirates and KC don't play the two best teams in baseball or defending champs 162 games in a row.

The type of optimism reminds me that of the Red Sox fans optimism last year. They were flamboyant and cocky saying, "We got this. Don't worry. We'll turn it around." all the way into October. Where did it get them again? Oh yeah, a first round sweep.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
No, but teams like the Pirates and KC don't play the two best teams in baseball or defending champs 162 games in a row.

The type of optimism reminds me that of the Red Sox fans optimism last year. They were flamboyant and cocky saying, "We got this. Don't worry. We'll turn it around." all the way into October. Where did it get them again? Oh yeah, a first round sweep.

Where did that same optimism in August and September get us?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 01:01 PM)
I'm not saying optimism is bad at all. In fact, I promote optimism. I get mad though when people just brush off our real team problems. Our pitching is not looking good at all.

And if for some reason Garland pitches lights out today everyone will bring up your post and call you crazy because everything is fine.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 06:04 PM)
And if for some reason Garland pitches lights out today everyone will bring up your post and call you crazy because everything is fine.

Why do you insist on keeping on and on and on and on? I have seen about 15 of these posts from you in the last little while when reading from this morning's post.

So everything isn't hunky dory (read: we're not going 173-0 this year) in Sox land. So, let's all just take a trip to Addision and Clark Streets and take a big s*** on the grass and keep on living life. Shall we? Because, after all, that will make us all feel better.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 01:01 PM)
I'm not saying optimism is bad at all. In fact, I promote optimism. I get mad though when people just brush off our real team problems. Our pitching is not looking good at all.

Oh I don't dispute we have some problems, just like all teams do. Some more than others. But to say we HAVE to sweep any series at all is just not realistic. If we do, great. But it won't happen most of the time, even against lousy teams.