White Sox Loser

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
No, no, not from you too. I can't believe some of the rhetoric I'm hearing from posters that really ought to know better.

Disappointing.

Guilty concious ey?

I was just thinking the samething... I guess its all perspective.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
You as well? The beat goes on.

This is disappointing. I wouldn't have expected this sort of talk from you Steve, or Rock, or SS and even Tony.

JimH, TQ, check your PMs.

"beat the teams you're supposed to beat"

....we won the series, that's what baseball is about. You're not going to win every game.

When you're winning games at above a .600 clip, I'm finding it really hard to freak out about one loss, I don't care if it is against the pirates.

We swept the cardinals just last week, one of the best teams in the NL, while that's not saying much, this team is definitely beating the teams it's supposed to beat and then beating up on decent and good teams as well.

What you're talking about is what happened in '03, when not only were we not winning series against bad teams, we were being swept by them.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
You as well? The beat goes on.

This is disappointing. I wouldn't have expected this sort of talk from you Steve, or Rock, or SS and even Tony.

JimH, TQ, check your PMs.

Please. People don't show up for weeks, then we lose a game and an extra 50 people show up to throw a temper tantrum who we haven't seen forever.

I really wouldn't have expected that from you either. You are right, this is very disappointing.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)
You know what's bulls***? A pessimistic fan incapable of contextualizing a one-game road losing streak.

Give Chris Singleton a call then, because he said he expected us to sweep this and it was bad that we didnt.

Okay, I am the last person to throw around the "doom n' gloom" tag but Jesus, people, relax! I figure these points are best made using bullets.

-Yes, I agree about Politte. He's been given a few chances now to "find it" like he did in 2005 and he's blown them. Just like after that Cleveland series with Shingo last year (remember?), this may be the end of him. And as much as I loved Shingo, I knew after that game he was outta here

-FORGET the Tigers. Even Ozzie has said this. You have to deal with every game at hand and in the end let the chips fall where they may. Yes, if you keep winning at least every series (which is the damn goal, people), we are sitting pretty. Y'all will go INSANE if you're constantly eyeballing the Tigers when we're not even at the ASB yet and they've not had a slump yet this season.

-As for this "guaranteed win" status of Pittsburgh, huh? The thing of baseball is that on any given day any team can beat any team, no matter how good each is or how the game's "supposed" to go. Pittsburgh? Yeah they suck, but so does KC and I've managed to see us lose to them three times, in person, out there. When they were brutal. That is baseball, people. Sometimes the Pirates will beat us, sometimes KC will, Tampa Bay seems to always... sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you. In the end what matters is the final tally. Not going apes*** over what should have been an easy win and is one game.

IMO there is no such thing as an easy win. Everybody thought St. Louis/Sox would be a hell of a matchup and we crushed them like they were... Pittsburgh. Go figure. This is not news, this idea.

SO GET OFF THE DAMN LEDGE ALREADY.

Yes, this loss is disappointing. Yes, I would've felt better with a sweep.

Everyone is so hung up on this division bulls***, christ do you realize that we are 6 up on the WC? I know Sox fans are not accustomed to looking at that, and it's not something we should settle for. Luckily we won't have to eventually.

f*** the Tigers. Once they get off of their minor league schedule, we'll see what they are really made of.

They have a brutal July after the all-star break. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a 5 game losing streak somewhere in there.

The difference between the Sox and the Tigers is that the Sox beat the good teams.

I seriously will take action on the Tigers/Pirates series.

QUOTE(chisoxfan79 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 07:55 PM)
Well 2 and a half out and the Tigers are going to get another Sweep and no matter what we never sweep the Cubs so I expect to be 3 and a half back by Monday.

YEP THOSE TIGERS ARE GOING TO RUN THE TABLE!!! SEASON OVER!!!

Lighten up, people.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
So you think that the Tigers will have a problem sweeping them this weekend. Minny was able to sweep them in PNC. They never scored more than 3 runs against the Twins in any game.

It's unrealistic to EXPECT the Sox to sweep series... even against bad teams. They won 2/3 and that's more than reasonable. And I wish that people would stop comparing the Sox to the Tigers. The Sox can't control what the Tigers do when they're not playing them. The Sox still have the second-best record in baseball and it's not even July yet. Get off the ledge, people.

The only thing that concerns me about this game is Count. He said that he back and legs were hurting in his last start, where he gave up too many runs as well. I hope that isn't the case here.

QUOTE(zygoat @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
yeah we needed to try and keep up with the tigers. They are blowing through everybody and not slowing down. We need to beat a s***ty team like pittsburg

They are due to lose, just like the Pirates were due for a win.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
The difference between the Sox and the Tigers is that the Sox beat the good teams.

And the Tigers absolutely dominate the inferior teams.

Guess it's a wash.

Edited by BigSqwert

Being critical of calls from the dugout or play on the field--especially play against a far inferior opponent--and needing to back off the ledge are near polar opposites.

Use some baseball acumen here, folks. It's a shame because guys like Anthrax--who between incoherent ramblings had some very appropriate critcisms of a ballclub that went tailspinning before marching on to a title--get run out of here. Intelligent baseball discourse has reached record lows on our belov'ed site.

Liriano and Santana, the Twins' two aces, pitched at that series at PNC. Also, Oliver Perez was STILL in the rotation for the Pirates, and he has been BRUTAL this year. Just blindly pointing at the schedule and slobbering "SEE TWINS SWEPT- WE f***ING SUCK" is more than a little misguided.

The Tigers are sending Bonderman and Miner to the bump this weekend vs the Pirates, and those two could get touched up a bit, especially going from a pitchers park to a short porch.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 03:11 PM)
The only thing that concerns me about this game is Count. He said that he back and legs were hurting in his last start, where he gave up too many runs as well. I hope that isn't the case here.

Do you remember which paper you read this? I read the Trib and Sun-times and there was no mention of it...

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 02:19 PM)

Guess it's a wash.

Yeah, you're right, being able to take 4 from KC at Kauffmann will sure come in handy when they are getting their asses handed to them in Boston this postseason.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
They are due to lose, just like the Pirates were due for a win.

Exactly. 160-f***in-2 game season...and the pirates weren't gonna lose out the rest of the year no matter how bad they are...

Did we just get swept or am I missing something else???

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 03:22 PM)
Yeah, you're right, being able to take 4 from KC at Kauffmann will sure come in handy when they are getting their asses handed to them in Boston this postseason.

Not sure if you've noticed but they are beating everyone now. Not just the bad teams. Winning instills confidence. They have a can't lose mentality now.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 03:22 PM)

Last year we dominated the weak teams, especially our division, and we played 500 ball against the good teams. People criticized us and said well you didnt really beat the good teams, we couldnt beat the As crap like that.

Now we are using the same comments for Detroit.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 02:23 PM)
Not sure if you've noticed but they are beating everyone now. Not just the bad teams. Winning instills confidence. They have a can't lose mentality now.

What good team have they won a series from in the past month?

Bear in mind any NL team doesn't qualify as a "good team"

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)

Guess it's a wash.

To this point that has been the case. I think part of it is that this team just doesnt get up for the sub .500 teams like they should, while those sub .500 teams do. It's also like they use all there Adrenaline when they play the good teams as well. Go figure

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
Last year we dominated the weak teams, especially our division, and we played 500 ball against the good teams. People criticized us and said well you didnt really beat the good teams, we couldnt beat the As crap like that.

Now we are using the same comments for Detroit.

It's one thing to go .500 against teams you'll likely be facing in the postseason

It's quite another to be .350-.400 against them.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
What good team have they won a series from in the past month?

Bear in mind any NL team doesn't qualify as a "good team"

Point is they haved killed eveyone for the entire month. There aren't a lot of good teams out there. We lose games to bad teams which can hurt us at the end of the year when we are battling for a playoff spot.