IP - 52

ER - 31

H - 59

BB - 16

K - 47

K/9 - 8.13

WHIP - 1.44

ERA - 5.37

I don't think either his pre-DL or post-DL performances are indicative of the true quality of Contreras. I think the real Jose is somewhere in between. But where? I see him more as a high-3's ERA kind of pitcher. Thoughts?

When the fork is working, which it obviously was not today, he has to be considered up there with the nastiest stuff in the league right now.

As far as what kind of real pitcher he is... listen to Don Cooper talk about him. The guy is made of stones. You can't just pick up a nickname like El Titan De Bronze for defecting Cuba.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)
Jose Contreras

Pre-DL

GS - 6

IP - 44.2

ER - 7

H - 28

BB - 11

K - 21

K/9 - 4.23

WHIP - 0.87

ERA - 1.41

Post-DL

GS - 8

IP - 52

ER - 31

H - 59

BB - 16

K - 47

K/9 - 8.13

WHIP - 1.44

ERA - 5.37

I don't think either his pre-DL or post-DL performances are indicative of the true quality of Contreras. I think the real Jose is somewhere in between. But where? I see him more as a high-3's ERA kind of pitcher. Thoughts?

He is a dominant pitcher. A high 2's/low 3s dominant AL pitcher. When his fork is on, he is almost unhittable. The big different is the wildness in the zone. He is getting behind hitters and relying on his fastball to get people out. When he is on, he is getting ahead with the fastball, then finishing them off with the forkball. Maybe its the new arm angle he added that is making him wilder. I dont know, hopefully they will fix it. We need him dominant for the playoffs.

He is a dominant pitcher. A high 2's/low 3s dominant AL pitcher.

Sometimes he is a dominant pitcher. And sometimes he gets shelled. I might agree with your high 2's/low 3's assessment if he had ever done that in the majors. Last year was his best year and his ERA was 3.61. His ERA for this season is 3.51. I think you have to expect from Contreras that he's going to continue to have a mixture of dominant starts and failed starts. That is going to leave him with an ERA probably in the mid-to-high 3's.

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
ESPN just said jose has been topping out at 84 and 85... saying they suspect an elbow issue?

the game wasn't broadcast in my area... is this true?

hahahahaha, thats the biggest load of crap I have ever heard.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 05:07 PM)
Sometimes he is a dominant pitcher. And sometimes he gets shelled. I might agree with your high 2's/low 3's assessment if he had ever done that in the majors. Last year was his best year and his ERA was 3.61. His ERA for this season is 3.51. I think you have to expect from Contreras that he's going to continue to have a mixture of dominant starts and failed starts. That is going to leave him with an ERA probably in the mid-to-high 3's.

Last year he was an ace for a good period of time. Almost the entire second half and into the post-season. I think Contreras can pitch in the low 3's to mid 3's on a regular basis...ala an ace.

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
ESPN just said jose has been topping out at 84 and 85... saying they suspect an elbow issue?

I watched the first 2 innings and I saw him sitting at 92 and 93. He had bad location the entire day and his forker was just floating up there for the most part.

But who reported that on ESPN?

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)

The radar gun is off. They said the same thing about his last start... and in that same game, Jenks was supposedly topping out around 91.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 05:21 PM)
The radar gun is off. They said the same thing about his last start... and in that same game, Jenks was supposedly topping out around 91.

That f***in radar gun is always off. I thought Hawk said something to the fact that they fixed it? The WGN one is usually off too.

i would still take jose over most the pitchers in the league even though he has a high era. When he is hot (second half last year), he is dominant and he still hasnt recieved a loss since middle last year. Even though his ERA blows and he gives up some runs, our team does have a chance to win these ballgames. As for freddy, jon, and Javy- you guys have some work to do or it might be BMac, Haeger, and Broadway in the rotation (jk, but you get my point)

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 05:16 PM)
I watched the first 2 innings and I saw him sitting at 92 and 93. He had bad location the entire day and his forker was just floating up there for the most part.

But who reported that on ESPN?

I dunnon it was the sports center just after the game ended...

I think it was a guy with a mullet.

The stadium gun had Count in the 90's, touching 95 at times (I wasn't really watching the radar gun the whole game though).

I don't think Count is nearly as good as people here paint him to be (as I said all offseason, although I expected him to be worse than he has thus far), and he's struggled since coming off the DL. I hope he improves however, he can't be posting a 5.37 ERA and relying on the offense to get his back.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)
He is a dominant pitcher. A high 2's/low 3s dominant AL pitcher.

If you are looking at the whole season, and you expect those numbers, you'll be disappointed. Right now, he'll probably end the season with a 3.80 ERA, which is still good, but will disappoint people here.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 08:21 PM)
The stadium gun had Count in the 90's, touching 95 at times (I wasn't really watching the radar gun the whole game though).

I don't think Count is nearly as good as people here paint him to be (as I said all offseason, although I expected him to be worse than he has thus far), and he's struggled since coming off the DL. I hope he improves however, he can't be posting a 5.37 ERA and relying on the offense to get his back.

If you are looking at the whole season, and you expect those numbers, you'll be disappointed. Right now, he'll probably end the season with a 3.80 ERA, which is still good, but will disappoint people here.

I'll bet he ends up with an era under 3.4.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 05:53 PM)
That f***in radar gun is always off. I thought Hawk said something to the fact that they fixed it? The WGN one is usually off too.

That gun always seems to be off. All I do is add 4-5 miles on whatever pitch was thrown.

Bump, didn't see this posted;

A bullpen session has Don Cooper believing Jose Contreras' pitching woes have been cured. Cooper, who will be the AL pitching coach for the All-Star Game, said he detected Contreras trying to throw from a three-quarter angle to add to his overhand and sidearm deliveries. "He wanted to add an angle at three-quarters," Cooper said. "But he was caught in between too much so we concentrated on the two angles that made him successful." Contreras kept his 16-game winning streak despite allowing a career-high 12 hits in 51/3 innings at Pittsburgh. Since coming off the DL on May 21, Contreras is 3-0 with a 5.36 ERA, 59 hits and seven home runs. Contreras makes his next start Tuesday against Baltimore.