Inconsistent Starting Pitching

watchtower41

To get things straight, I'm not saying McCarthy sucks or that he sucked towards the end of last year. When I say he has shown me nothing, I mean over the course of a full year and/or as a bullpen arm.

I think jacking with his mechanics from one year to the next may be a reason for this, but also, last year before his last 5 starts or so, he did suck. His over the top throwing motion will make him a worse pitcher IMO.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Especially when change up after change up rides high for McCarthy... and I dunno how he gets away with it as much as he does considering his fastball is not up to par as it was last year.

Frankly what my comment was and why I agreed with Flash tizzle is we lack Electric stuff in our minor system..... what happened to the Jason Bere's, Alvarez's, Fernandez?

Seems we go for the low ceiling types that are prone to be hammered when their control is off and cant locate their high 80's fastball.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
I'm a little concerned, but its too early to be worried

Ive been Concerned for a little while now ................

We CANNOT count on the offense bailing us out. The SOX have given away a number of games already that wouldve had US IN 1st place already. Instead, were in 2nd, unable to gain anything during our "hot" stretch. What has happened since then, is a couple of our pitchers have gotten worse, with one in particular showing signs of very bad down the stretch. Last year, we were lucky to have built a very big lead to cushion us stumbling down the stretch. Now we have 2 teams to look out for. The SOX MUST do something about the #5 starter and Bullpen situation not to mention Pods' up and down again 1st half.

I agree with Hangar on one thing: we cannot, nor should we ever, build a team where we count on our offense to bail us out.

That is so anti-2005 it makes my head spin. And while the big bats of 2006 have been fun to watch, I will trade them ANY day for our one-run wonders of last year and our smokin' pitching. I'll take that win over KC last year where they walked in the two winning (and only) runs over a slugfest ANY day.

Pitching and defense. Pitching and defense. If it ain't broke, do not fix it.

No matter how great our "O" is this year, any holes in our pitching should be treated as championship-threatening. I could care less about Anderson's .175 average if it means getting the pitching we need.

I'm not yet quite ready to panic about our starters, but I'm keeping an eye on them. Maybe Vasquez will pull a Contreras this year, who knows?

But Boston had amazing "O" last year and look where it got them facing us in the playoffs?

Hold on kids: second half is going to be DAMN interesting!

(And how about Minnesota waking from the dead? Yikes!)