How about a new back up catcher?

santo=dorf

I don't think this topic has been discussed yet trade rumor wise, but Widger has been brutal this year. Last year it was a great story to see him win a championship with the World Champs, but this is 2006. I'm not too big of a fan of CERA, but it seems like all of our pitchers give up more runs than normal when's he's behind the plate.

Here's another thing, Pierzynski hits LHP a hell of alot better than Widger. Fire away at me on this, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox pick up a guy like Henry Blanco to replace Widger. Blanco has been on fire lately, but he does a good job of calling games, throws out runners, has better numbers than Widger, and might not cost too much because his salary is a little high for a defensive catcher.

FWIW, Blanco against LHP this season: .333/.385/.583

I dont think they will move Widger this year.

All he needs to do, is to move the mitt around a bit more. Not just park his ass on the outside corner and sit there for the game. Its funny because Farmer and Singleton get on him for doing this. Our pitchers need to pound the ball inside. Or they are dead. When you get dinked and dunked all over, its because you are not adjusting to the situation. AJ and Widger call their own games. If Widger keeps it up, maybe have AJ call the game from the dugout.

I like Widger's story from last year- he was playing wiffle ball with his friends, and then he joined the sox as a non-roster invitee and excelled and helped our team win the world series.

This year he has come from a world series winning team to calling the game like he's playing against a high school game. He better step it up or he might be gone

In case some of you are wondering;

CERA per ESPN.com (through Yesterday)

Widger: 5.17

AJ: 4.07

Compared to a team ERA of 4.34

Blanco: 5.45

Cubs' team ERA is 4.86

Career CERA:

Widger: 4.49

AJ: 4.15

Blanco: 4.31

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 09:27 PM)
36 at-bats

i like widger, but i would be for this move, widger really doesnt bring anything to the table, blanco is absolutely one of the top 3 or 4 defensive catchers in the league....not sure about his pitch calling, but i know he was maddux's personal catcher for years so it cant be that bad

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
36 at-bats

...and Widger has had 37 against LHP. .189/.279/.236 Should we just ignore that too?

I would like Blanco to take over Widger's spot in playing 2 times a week MAX.

How many at-bats do you expect a player to have playing a third of his team's 78 games with probably twice as many starting right handed pitchers than left handed pitchers in the MLB?

78*1/3*1/3*4 at bats per game = 34.6666666666666666666666666666666

How about that?

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who is suggesting that we trade for blanco and what would make you think that the cubs would want the widgenator in the first place?

:huh:

Go back and find in my post, or any others where someone suggested trading Widger to the Cubs.

The Sox could trade for a new catcher and then release Widger. It's not that hard to figure out.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
...and Widger has had 37 against LHP. .189/.279/.236 Should we just ignore that too?

I would like Blanco to take over Widger's spot in playing 2 times a week MAX.

How many at-bats do you expect a player to have playing a third of his team's 78 games with probably twice as many starting right handed pitchers than left handed pitchers in the MLB?

78*1/3*1/3*4 at bats per game = 34.6666666666666666666666666666666

How about that?

I really don't care what Blanco has done in a very limited sample size against left-handed pitching this season, or if that sample is indicitive of what a backup catcher should have at this point of the season. Fact is that Widger has had more at-bats against lefties in his career than Blanco, and is a greater threat (.797 OPS).

If you feel we should make a move for Blanco because he calls a better game than Widge and is better defensively, then alright. But he's pathetic offensively and without consistent at-bats, which he would never get here, nothing should be expected of him in that regard.

There is no point in trading for a backup catcher. He isnt going to play at all in the playoffs and neither Blanco or Widger are going to be pitch hitters either. Next season Stewart will be called up and be our backup catcher and depending on how long AJ stays possibly our future starting catcher.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 05:30 AM)
:huh:

Go back and find in my post, or any others where someone suggested trading Widger to the Cubs.

The Sox could trade for a new catcher and then release Widger. It's not that hard to figure out.

Ok then who would you trade for blanco?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 07:57 AM)
Seriously, I like Stewart to come up before we make a trade for an effing backup cather.

I was going to say this exact same thing. Stewart isn't a starting caliber catcher, but he's made a lot of strides with his offense and is one of the best defensive catchers in the minors. He's got a stron arm with a quick release, calls a solid game, and does a good job blocking the plate.

Offensively he's mediocre at best, but I do think he'll be our backup starting next year (and we'll definately see him when rosters get expanded)