Justification for Royce Ring

southsider2k5

The Reds (Houston's Ryan Wagner), Expos (Cal State Fullerton's Chad Cordero) and Giants (Rice's David Aardsma) all drafted college relievers in the first round. San Francisco wants Aardsma to try starting, but the Reds and Expos believe Wagner and Cordero can help them in the big leagues this season.

Remember how many panned the Sox pick of a college reliever early in the draft? Now other teams are jumping on this bandwagon.

It's a shame Royce has been such a bust up to this point in his first AA stint:

-14 saves

-0.64 ERA

-28.0 innings

-19 hits, 1 HR allowed

-9 walks

-37 Ks

Not to sound like a naysayer, but Ring hasn't been as dominant as his numbers indicate. Don't get me wrong, he has been very, very good, but there have been a handful of instances where he has given up other pitcher's runs.

Please let me reiterate that I am not bashing him, because he has been great. But his numbers look so unbelievable that one would think he has hardly been touched. He has been more human than his numbers show, but he still has been excellent.

As a Birmingham fan, I'd love to see him stay here all year. Not sure that will happen though.

-14 saves

-0.64 ERA

-28.0 innings

-19 hits, 1 HR allowed

-9 walks

-37 Ks

Not to sound like a naysayer, but Ring hasn't been as dominant as his numbers indicate. Don't get me wrong, he has been very, very good, but there have been a handful of instances where he has given up other pitcher's runs.

Please let me reiterate that I am not bashing him, because he has been great. But his numbers look so unbelievable that one would think he has hardly been touched. He has been more human than his numbers show, but he still has been excellent.

As a Birmingham fan, I'd love to see him stay here all year. Not sure that will happen though.

The mark of a great releif pitcher is to get that first hitter out. Many relievers on the Sox have failed to do that this year. I think Ring has a great future though. Imagine him with Marte as the two lefties in the pen. Open some trade possibilties.

-14 saves

-0.64 ERA

-28.0 innings

-19 hits, 1 HR allowed

-9 walks

-37 Ks

The mark of a great releif pitcher is to get that first hitter out. Many relievers on the Sox have failed to do that this year. I think Ring has a great future though. Imagine him with Marte as the two lefties in the pen. Open some trade possibilties.

Don't Count out Arnie

Remember how many panned the Sox pick of a college reliever early in the draft?  Now other teams are jumping on this bandwagon.

Yes, the team got ripped for that pick. I hope Ring proves that they made the right choice.

Arnie, Royce and Marte are the future lefties of this pen.

Don't rule out Sanders. He is kind of hidden this year in the role he is in. Not getting regular work is tough. Keep in mind, they work very hard to make sure that a Minor League reliever doesn't go more than 2-3 days without working. They almost schedule relievers on certain days (some orgs more so than others).

Not getting to pitch as often makes adjustments necessary and it is natural for a pitcher to struggle in that "last guy out of the pen" role. I am confident that Sanders will be right in that mix.

Don't rule out Sanders.  He is kind of hidden this year in the role he is in.  Not getting regular work is tough.  Keep in mind, they work very hard to make sure that a Minor League reliever doesn't go more than 2-3 days without working.  They almost schedule relievers on certain days (some orgs more so than others).

Not getting to pitch as often makes adjustments necessary and it is natural for a pitcher to struggle in that "last guy out of the pen" role.  I am confident that Sanders will be right in that mix.

Sanders actually strikes me as long reliever. I don't know why, but so far that is where he seems like he would be most effective.

-14 saves

-0.64 ERA

-28.0 innings

-19 hits, 1 HR allowed

-9 walks

-37 Ks

Don't Count out Arnie

Your right on that one. I should have remembered to include Arnie Munoz. Great prospect. So to correct my original post, "can you imagine three dominating lefties in the pen with Marte, Ring and Munoz? WOW!"